The Student Room Group

Range question

Find the range of f (x) = cosx-sinx
Why is the answer -root2 < f (x) < root2

Shouldnt it be between 1 and -1 because sinx and cosx can take values between 1 and -1
Original post by Carman3
Find the range of f (x) = cosx-sinx
Why is the answer -root2 < f (x) < root2

Shouldnt it be between 1 and -1 because sinx and cosx can take values between 1 and -1

No. Put the function in R-alpha form and then it's obvious.
Reply 2
Original post by Carman3

The function f(x)=xf(x) = x can take values between -\infty and \infty. Does that mean that xxx-x should also takes values between -\infty and \infty?
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
No. Put the function in R-alpha form and then it's obvious.

Original post by Zacken
The function f(x)=xf(x) = x can take values between -\infty and \infty. Does that mean that xxx-x should also takes values between -\infty and \infty?

Thanks both. Can you also answer a question related to domain.
I can't link it as I'm on this on my phone but on June 2012 aea paper question 1c it asks to find the domain and I don't know why it's not X can be any real value do you combine both domains then take the wider one?
Reply 4
Original post by Carman3
Thanks both. Can you also answer a question related to domain.
I can't link it as I'm on this on my phone but on June 2012 aea paper question 1c it asks to find the domain and I don't know why it's not X can be any real value do you combine both domains then take the wider one?

The domain is the admissible values that you can feed into gfgf, but when you feed a number into gfgf, you feed it into ff first and the domain of ff is x0x\geqslant 0, this will always produce an output f(x)5f(x) \geqslant 5 so you can safely feed it into gg and you have the domain of gfgf to be x0x \geqslant 0.

This answer would change if the range of ff didn't match up with the domain of gg, say you had a value f(x)=1f(x) = 1, then you couldn't feed f(x)=1f(x) = 1 into gg because the domain of gg is x2x\geqslant 2, so it cannot accept 11 as an input. you would then have to restrict the domain of ff (and consequently gfgf) so that the restriction of ff had a range which is a subset of the domain of gg, fortunately you need to do no such thing here because of the first paragraph.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
The domain is the admissible values that you can feed into gfgf, but when you feed a number into gfgf, you feed it into ff first and the domain of ff is x0x\geqslant 0, this will always produce an output f(x)5f(x) \geqslant 5 so you can safely feed it into gg and you have the domain of gfgf to be x0x \geqslant 0.

This answer would change if the range of ff didn't match up with the domain of gg, say you had a value f(x)=1f(x) = 1, then you couldn't feed f(x)=1f(x) = 1 into gg because the domain of gg is x2x\geqslant 2, so it cannot accept 11 as an input. you would then have to restrict the domain of ff (and consequently gfgf) so that the restriction of ff had a range which is a subset of the domain of gg, fortunately you need to do no such thing here because of the first paragraph.

Oh ok . In the aea exam would you ever have to restrict or work out if you do need to restrict the domain because I don't know how to restrict domains either but I don't want to learn it if I don't need to. Also another question, in the aea exam are you arellowed to use some knowledge from fp3 like the cross product... will you get any marks for it

Quick Reply

Latest