The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Entry requirements

on ucas it says tariff points to get into are 96-120 , i have a BCC right now which is 104 points but on the course when i click it, it says BBB-CCC which is confusing me,
does this mean i need to get between bbb-ccc and since i have BCC, that means I can get in with my grades?
Original post by Anonymous
on ucas it says tariff points to get into are 96-120 , i have a BCC right now which is 104 points but on the course when i click it, it says BBB-CCC which is confusing me,
does this mean i need to get between bbb-ccc and since i have BCC, that means I can get in with my grades?

When universities quote a range of grades for their entry requirements, it typically means that most applicants who receive an offer which be asked to achieve the grades at the top end of the range, and that contextual applicants who receive an offer will be asked to achieve the grades at the bottom end of the range. This page on the Aberystwyth site suggests that's what they do too, but they don't make it terribly clear. They say, "Contextual offers will typically be made at the lowest point of the published offer range."

What they do say is that if you are taking a single type of qualification (A levels, BTECs, etc.) then they will make you an offer in terms of grades. However, if you are applying with a mixed set of qualification types, then will make you an offer in terms of UCAS points. The UCAS site hasn't really made that distinction very clear - not that it matters to you anyway.

The above means that it's not clear whether they'd accept BCC from a non-contextual candidate, and you may need to contact the admissions office for clarity. Which course is this, by the way?
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by DataVenia
When universities quote a range of grades for their entry requirements, it typically means that most applicants who receive an offer which be asked to achieve the grades at the top end of the range, and that contextual applicants who receive an offer will be asked to achieve the grades at the bottom end of the range. This page on the Aberystwyth site suggests that's what they do too, but they don't make it terribly clear. They say, "Contextual offers will typically be made at the lowest point of the published offer range."

What they do say is that if you are taking a single type of qualification (A levels, BTECs, etc.) then they will make you an offer in terms of grades. However, if you are applying with a mixed set of qualification types, then will make you an offer in terms of UCAS points. The UCAS site hasn't really made that distinction very clear - not that it matters to you anyway.

The above means that it's not clear whether they'd accept BCC from a non-contextual candidate, and you may need to contact the admissions office for clarity. Which course is this, by the way?

So if the course asks for BBB-CCC and I already have BBC I'm very likely to get an offer since its closer to the top of that range? I've applied to Aberystwyth as well so I was just wondering.
Original post by __Orangutan__
So if the course asks for BBB-CCC and I already have BBC I'm very likely to get an offer since its closer to the top of that range? I've applied to Aberystwyth as well so I was just wondering.

As I said in the answer above, "When universities quote a range of grades for their entry requirements, it typically means that most applicants who receive an offer which be asked to achieve the grades at the top end of the range". The top end of this range is BBB. You have BBC. You therefore do not meet the entry requirements. It might be that there is some flexibility in the entry requirements, but there no guarantee that this will be the case.

I'll ask you the same question that I asked above. Which course is this?

Some courses are more competitive that other. With more competitive courses (i.e. more applicants per place), universities have less need to be flexible with grades. If you name the course, we can lookup what grades (and subjects) current students have; we can look-up how many applicants there were to the course; we can look-up how many students were accepted through Clearing; we can check if the course is still open via Clearing for 2023 entry now. Without knowing the course, we can do none of that.
As I said in the answer above, "When universities quote a range of grades for their entry requirements, it typically means that most applicants who receive an offer which be asked to achieve the grades at the top end of the range". The top end of this range is BBB. You have BBC. You therefore do not meet the entry requirements. It might be that there is some flexibility in the entry requirements, but there no guarantee that this will be the case.

I'll ask you the same question that I asked above. Which course is this?

Some courses are more competitive that other. With more competitive courses (i.e. more applicants per place), universities have less need to be flexible with grades. If you name the course, we can lookup what grades (and subjects) current students have; we can look-up how many applicants there were to the course; we can look-up how many students were accepted through Clearing; we can check if the course is still open via Clearing for 2023 entry now. Without knowing the course, we can do none of that.

My apologies, I should have been more thorough with my question. The course I'd be doing would be Accounting and Finance at Aberystwyth (3 years) starting September 2024. If it helps, I got B in Economics, B in History, C in Chemistry back in 2017. Your assistance is appreciated in advance.
My apologies, I should have been more thorough with my question. The course I'd be doing would be Accounting and Finance at Aberystwyth (3 years) starting September 2024. If it helps, I got B in Economics, B in History, C in Chemistry back in 2017. Your assistance is appreciated in advance.

Having looked-up the most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved) for that course in The Uni Guide (source), I think you're fine: "Mathematics
(C), Business Studies (C) and Geography (D)". Also, the course is currently still available for 2023-entry via Clearing, so they've yet to fill the course. That tends to mean flexibility in grade requirements. I suspect that they'll gladly accept your BBC for 2024-entry. :smile:
Having looked-up the most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved) for that course in The Uni Guide (source), I think you're fine: "Mathematics
(C), Business Studies (C) and Geography (D)". Also, the course is currently still available for 2023-entry via Clearing, so they've yet to fill the course. That tends to mean flexibility in grade requirements. I suspect that they'll gladly accept your BBC for 2024-entry. :smile:

You were absolutely correct.
You were absolutely correct.

Does that mean you got an offer? And, given that you already have your grades, this would be an unconditional offer, right?
Does that mean you got an offer? And, given that you already have your grades, this would be an unconditional offer, right?

Yep, I have indeed received an unconditional offer. That said I haven't been able to accept it yet as I haven't received decisions from the other university that I applied to as a backup so I there's no option to accept yet. I was just wondering and this might not be the right place to ask but it says on the offer conditions that I have to send a copy of my qualifications to the university, would sending the results that my school emailed me on results day suffice or would I have to send a photocopy of my actual exam certificates?
Yep, I have indeed received an unconditional offer. That said I haven't been able to accept it yet as I haven't received decisions from the other university that I applied to as a backup so I there's no option to accept yet. I was just wondering and this might not be the right place to ask but it says on the offer conditions that I have to send a copy of my qualifications to the university, would sending the results that my school emailed me on results day suffice or would I have to send a photocopy of my actual exam certificates?

That's fantastic news. Well done! :smile:

UCAS does indeed ensure you have responses from all the unis you applied to before it lets you do the firm / insurance thing. As your firm is unconditional, you won't actually have the option to pick an insurance. (If you're still waiting in February / March, and are worried about not being able to apply for accommodation in time, you can always withdraw those other choices - as long as you're absolutely sure about this offer.)

They'll want photocopies / scans / photos of the certificates, not just the sheet from your school.

Well done again! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest