The Student Room Group

What is the reality of Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reality Check
You've actually just described my degree and time at Cambridge :smile: Those 6am outings and 5pm ergs I really look back on fondly (I actually hated them at the time).

(I didn't know you were a NatSci, though it doesn't surprise me - what college were you at?)

Quays
Original post by the bear
Quays

Tell me you had the room at the top...
Original post by Reality Check
Tell me you had the room at the top...

the decent rooms were given to the swots :angry: :teehee:
Reply 63
I go to Oxford.

Therefore I am better than you.

I am more important than you.

Go away.
Original post by r3035
I go to Oxford.

Therefore I am better than you.

I am more important than you.

Go away.

No you are not.
Reply 65
Original post by Wired_1800
No you are not.

Why am I not ?
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Lol... they should try harder or if they personal issues, try and take a year out to deal with them (if possible) but a 3rd is pretty poor.

Well poor in Cambridge standards.
Original post by Zigzag843
What is being in Oxford or Cambridge actually like in reality? How long time do you spend studying/reading everyday and how much pressure is put on you to get a first?

Very hard work, amazing fun at times, a marvellous opportunity to deeply, deeply study things that you (probably) care about, great people to be with, stacks of intellectual stimulation, intense, wild ride at times, heavy overwork at least some of the time, overwhelming sometimes - also deeply entertaining, challenging, uplifting and big sense of achievement when the stars are in the right places and you've put the work in.
Original post by numberphil01
Well poor in Cambridge standards.

A 3rd in Cambridge =\= 2:1 Bristol for example, still pretty awful for most Russel group standards.
A 3rd in Cambridge =\= 2:1 Bristol for example, still pretty awful for most Russel group standards.

Would you take a 2.2 Cambridge student over a 2.1 Surrey or Loughbrough student?
Original post by Wired_1800
Would you take a 2.2 Cambridge student over a 2.1 Surrey or Loughbrough student?

I would, but I'm talking a 3rd student (Not 2:2) and 2:1 Russel here.

Nah, i wouldn't
Original post by c9yyy
You have a bigger reading list and you do more work than a normal university. I wouldn't say there's a lot of pressure to get a first, especially during your first year since you're only required to pass. I wouldn't say there's much pressure in general since it's very difficult to get a first - it's considered almost impossible in Oxbridge.

No. Oxbridge recruit people who are very likely to get a 1st or 2:1 at their university. Thats why the recruitment standards are so high. Some courses have 0% of people getting 2:2 and 3rds because they don't let any tom dick or joe with BCC grades go there.

An Oxford/Cambridge 2:2 won't get on any graduate schemes or any high flying banking/law jobs.
I know, it depends on the course and uni but he did ask for my opinion, not the solid facts.
Reply 75
Original post by astutehirstute
And it is a shame.

Grade inflation is endemic throughout the university sector and the fact that Oxbridge are as bad as everyone else is deeply to be regretted.

I haven't see any research on it but a retired don gave me some anecdotal evidence that firsts have pretty much tripled since the seventies.

A first used to really mean something, the more they grant the more it becomes devalued.

You might be interested in this:

Attachment not found

Source: TS_01a http://www.prao.admin.cam.ac.uk/files/es_2016.pdf
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Zigzag843
What is being in Oxford or Cambridge actually like in reality? How long time do you spend studying/reading everyday and how much pressure is put on you to get a first?

Have you tried watching Jake Wright's vlogs? He studied Computer Science at Cambridge and vlogged his second and third years, but they're actually really enjoyable.
Reply 77
Original post by Astravolt
Have you tried watching Jake Wright's vlogs? He studied Computer Science at Cambridge and vlogged his second and third years, but they're actually really enjoyable.

And his first year and prior to going. :wink:

And every week since leaving too...

Alright Jake we get it :wink:

But one thing his vlog does is highlight that Oxbridge *is* hard work, and can be stressful. He struggled at various stages even with A*A*A*A* behind him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
And his first year and prior to going. :wink:

And every week since leaving too...

Alright Jake we get it :wink:

But one thing his vlog does is highlight that Oxbridge *is* hard work, and can be stressful. He struggled at various stages even with A*A*A*A* behind him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He vlogged his first year? I'm gonna have to go watch those, lol.
Reply 79
Original post by Astravolt
He vlogged his first year? I'm gonna have to go watch those, lol.

He certainly vlogged Freshers and onwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending