The Student Room Group

Does it matter where you did your undergraduate degree?

When applying for a Masters, does it really matter where you did your undergrad (as long as you achieved highly)?
Eg. Would getting a first at somewhere like Queen’s University in Belfast make you competitive enough to apply for Masters courses at places like Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, etc?
Reply 1
They don't usually care so long as you meet or surpass the requirements. Top gaffs like Oxford will say a minimum 2i but in reality you will likely need a first.
Original post by 2004123a
When applying for a Masters, does it really matter where you did your undergrad (as long as you achieved highly)?
Eg. Would getting a first at somewhere like Queen’s University in Belfast make you competitive enough to apply for Masters courses at places like Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, etc?

Hey,

As said above, they're generally more interested that you meet their specific requirements. This is normally a 2:1 or First and then some other specific requirements e.g. sometimes for a master's in Psychology, they require you to meet a certain proficiency in statistics. They also may require your undergrad to be in a specific area/be an accredited course to ensure you are most prepared and able to do the master's. But otherwise, no, they're generally not picky about where you completed your undergrad - I'd recommend just checking the course pages of where you want to apply for any specifics :smile:

Best of luck with everything!!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by gjd800
They don't usually care so long as you meet or surpass the requirements. Top gaffs like Oxford will say a minimum 2i but in reality you will likely need a first.

A bit of a caveat for the OP on the "don't usually care" aspect, that is generally true and in my experience an MSc admissions team will usually be willing to take a punt on a student from a broad range of institutions, BUT, they do also have a long memory. If several previous students from a given institution have proven not to be at the level expected from their BSc grade, that institution might end up on an informal "do not recruit" list, I have seen that happen occasionally.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Wednesday
A bit of a caveat for the OP on the "don't usually care" aspect, that is generally true and in my experience an MSc admissions team will usually be willing to take a punt on a student from a broad range of institutions, BUT, they do also have a long memory. If several previous students from a given institution have proven not to be at the level expected from their BSc grade, that institution might end up on an informal "do not recruit" list, I have seen that happen occasionally.

Yes, indeed - this is why I opted for 'usually' rather than just 'nobody will care'. I've never seen it happen but I know that it does
Reply 5
Original post by 2004123a

What do you want to do after the masters degree? In many cases a professional qualifications is more highly valued than a masters degree. QUB is an excellent institution. Have you looked at masters degrees offered by TCD?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending