Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What percentage must one get to get a first class honours in medicine?

ReputationRep:
    The MB, BS or MB, ChB, etc. aren't like other degrees in their classifications.

Often it's classified purely on a pass/fail.

Also, as there is no standardised examination for the pre-clinical years in the UK, the medical schools can set the percentage to pass (say 55%) wherever they like and is dependent on the exam perceived difficulty so the pass percentage varies.

Some universities, such as Imperial, have "Pass (with merit/distinction/distinction*)" on the final certificate which for example could be "Pass with Merit" meaning the candidate attained a pass in the top 30% of that years' cohort of medics.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for clarifying that.. I was just confused as some of my seniors recently graduated with a first class honours in medicine from my uni. Any idea what classifies as first class honours normally?

ReputationRep:
    Did they intercalate a degree? Sometimes a university offers a 6-year medicine course with a optional/compulsory intercalated BSc degree which IS classified like normal degrees are. Then they graduate with a MB, BS, iBSc (1st, 2: 1, 2: 2, etc.).

1st class honours is usually above 70% I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Yes that might be it.. because one of my seniors did a previous degree in biomedical sciences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bow Tie)
    1st class honours is usually above 70% I believe.
    Yes by definition. That doesn't necessarily mean you got 70% on the actual exam though - it may be scaled in a variety of ways. For example, for my intercalated degree if you got 100% in the exam, that scaled to an 81, hence it was physically impossible to get above an 81.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.