The Student Room Group

m I good enough?

does it matter that I didnt get into a competitive medical school in the UK?

So I completed by degree in biomedical from a uk university which is not considered to be a top university. I got offers from top unis too but I chose to go to this one bcz prestige didnt really matter to me and my relatives house was close to this uni so I just joined it. I graduated with a 2:1.

My aim was to apply for medicine which I did during year 2 of my degree but I didnt get in.

While I was back home after graduation, somebody (an agent that help students apply abroad for studies) really discouraged me from applying for medicine. They said that I am not a bright student and that my grades are poor. I got a 2:1 not a first class and that I dont deserve to study medicine. This all really hurt me and I knew that they are right which really effected my confidence. I became an over thinker like I tried to. do extra and while I was reapplying for medicine during my gap year I was overthinking more than studying. This time again my score wasn't great I got an interview but got rejected after interview. Everyone around me made me feel like I am a really really bad student.

I went to depression after this and wasn't able to complete anything on time and always doubt myself during my masters. I was living by myself and constantly doubting myself. Like when completing coursework essays I would go extra and waste so much time and ended up submitting late. This lowered my grade from a 2:1 n my undergrad to hardly passed during my masters assessments.

I was really confused as in what to do next and had no energy to retake the admission tests for medicine. But I applied to Brunel university medical school which is a new med school currently opened for international students only, with the UCAT score I got last time. I got an interview invitation and few months after interview I got an unconditional offer.

Even though I got an offer to study medicine, looking back I feel like I m really not a good student. And that agent was totally right and I proved them right during my masters. Also, the fact that I got into a med school which is opened to international students only meaning it isn't that competitive, proves that I was never good enough to get into a competitive med school and my masters and undergrad grades prove it too.

how should I be thinking? is there anything abt my grades and everything I should be proud of???
Reply 1
Even if you have struggled here it does not mean you will struggle forever. Everything will turn out right eventually, even if you don't believe it.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
does it matter that I didnt get into a competitive medical school in the UK?

So I completed by degree in biomedical from a uk university which is not considered to be a top university. I got offers from top unis too but I chose to go to this one bcz prestige didnt really matter to me and my relatives house was close to this uni so I just joined it. I graduated with a 2:1.

My aim was to apply for medicine which I did during year 2 of my degree but I didnt get in.

While I was back home after graduation, somebody (an agent that help students apply abroad for studies) really discouraged me from applying for medicine. They said that I am not a bright student and that my grades are poor. I got a 2:1 not a first class and that I dont deserve to study medicine. This all really hurt me and I knew that they are right which really effected my confidence. I became an over thinker like I tried to. do extra and while I was reapplying for medicine during my gap year I was overthinking more than studying. This time again my score wasn't great I got an interview but got rejected after interview. Everyone around me made me feel like I am a really really bad student.

I went to depression after this and wasn't able to complete anything on time and always doubt myself during my masters. I was living by myself and constantly doubting myself. Like when completing coursework essays I would go extra and waste so much time and ended up submitting late. This lowered my grade from a 2:1 n my undergrad to hardly passed during my masters assessments.

I was really confused as in what to do next and had no energy to retake the admission tests for medicine. But I applied to Brunel university medical school which is a new med school currently opened for international students only, with the UCAT score I got last time. I got an interview invitation and few months after interview I got an unconditional offer.

Even though I got an offer to study medicine, looking back I feel like I m really not a good student. And that agent was totally right and I proved them right during my masters. Also, the fact that I got into a med school which is opened to international students only meaning it isn't that competitive, proves that I was never good enough to get into a competitive med school and my masters and undergrad grades prove it too.

how should I be thinking? is there anything abt my grades and everything I should be proud of???

You shouldn't feel bad or guilty about your grades, studying healthcare is extremely difficult it's known for how difficult it is, you should be proud of the fact that you've studied an excellent degree and on top of that, your degree classification is also very good. A vast majority of employers and people in general would value a 2:1 and it is seen as an excellent grade to be proud of. It's also great that you've managed to make it so far and have been accepted onto the course that you were interested in studying - you deserve it because you've put the hard work and effort in and because you've passed at the end of the day.

In regards to the interviews and stuff - it's totally normal to get rejections, don't think too badly of them and use them as an opportunity to learn from and better yourself. I was watching a yt video the other day and a guy applied for 100 internships, but he got rejected for all of them except 2/3, besides, medicine is always going to be competitive regardless of who or where you are. In terms of the agent guy, he sounds pretty damn useless and shouldn't have spoken to you like that, he's blaming you for his incompetency - you're not a bad student, your learning journey was a bit more difficult for you and that is very normal.

Don't let the struggles of your past interfere with your new future, congratulations on your degree classification, you've made it! Good luck with your medicine course - I hope everything goes well for you! :smile:
First of all.
I don’t know you but I’m proud of you! Keep going.

You deserve this! I wish I had the brains to get into med school.

Well done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending