The Student Room Group

Biology

Any tips on applying knowledge I came across a question about an amoeba that contains a contractile vacuole but that it died when cyanide entered the cell. It live in water so I assumed it had something to do with osmosis and wasn't sure how to answer this correctly.

Then the answer was that it died because it couldn't contract and to contract requires energy and the only type of transport system that required energy was active transport but I've never even seen an example of this question or anything about contractile vacuoles let alone knowing they require energy and certainly not about cyanide..

The exact answer explanation is that: cynanide prevents respiration and stops release of energy without energy cell can't carry out active transport or operate contractile vacuole
Any tips or suggestions about where I can find extra information for applying biological knowledge (I.e understand transports) in this way because honestly i would never have got this without the answer sheet... rather confused

How do you gather its active transport when water is about osmosis it lives in water I never saw anything about any of this is textbooks slides or the million videos I have watched.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated
(edited 6 years ago)
It's all down to practice. The only thing you can do is do every past paper. Annoying, I know.
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
It's all down to practice. The only thing you can do is do every past paper. Annoying, I know.

Really?! Thanks. I've been really upset about this question I need an A.

So practice will help me with this.... it's normal not to have come across this type of concept in content review...

Thanks very much
Original post by torsby
Really?! Thanks. I've been really upset about this question I need an A.

So practice will help me with this.... it's normal not to have come across this type of concept in content review...

Thanks very much

Don't be too disheartened. I am awful at application type questions, but after doing many past papers, it became second nature by exam season :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Cow
Don't be too disheartened. I am awful at application type questions, but after doing many past papers, it became second nature by exam season :biggrin:

Thank you for the reassurance. My teachers only feedback was read about osmosis and diffusion... I didn't find that helpful... thank you

Fingers crossed I'll get the hang of it.. thanks again
Original post by torsby
Any tips on applying knowledge I came across a question about an amoeba that contains a contractile vacuole but that it died when cyanide entered the cell. It live in water so I assumed it had something to do with osmosis and wasn't sure how to answer this correctly.

Then the answer was that it died because it couldn't contract and to contract requires energy and the only type of transport system that required energy was active transport but I've never even seen an example of this question or anything about contractile vacuoles let alone knowing they require energy and certainly not about cyanide..

The exact answer explanation is that: cynanide prevents respiration and stops release of energy without energy cell can't carry out active transport or operate contractile vacuole
Any tips or suggestions about where I can find extra information for applying biological knowledge (I.e understand transports) in this way because honestly i would never have got this without the answer sheet... rather confused

How do you gather its active transport when water is about osmosis it lives in water I never saw anything about any of this is textbooks slides or the million videos I have watched.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Large doses of cyanide prevent cells from using oxygen and eventually these cells die. Therefore, if cells don't have oxygen, they don't respire. If they don't respire, they aren't producing much energy. Because active transport requires energy, it can't continue.

A contractile vaculoe stops the cell from absorbing too much water and so with energy, the cell can absorb too much water and die. By having no active transport, it means things like salts, ions (e.g. Potassium), glucose ect can't enter cells when they need it.

I presume you're in year 10 - are you doing the old specification or new one? If the new one, check whether it's on your syllabus whether you need to know it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by danielwinstanley
Large doses of cyanide prevent cells from using oxygen and eventually these cells die. Therefore, if cells don't have oxygen, they don't respire. If they don't respire, they aren't producing much energy. Because active transport requires energy, it can't continue.

A contractile vaculoe stops the cell from absorbing too much water and so with energy, the cell can absorb too much water and die. By having no active transport, it means things like salts, ions (e.g. Potassium), glucose ect can't enter cells when they need it.

I presume you're in year 10 - are you doing the old specification or new one? If the new one, check whether it's on your syllabus whether you need to know it.

Cyanide is not on my specification I am doing IGCSE 4Bi0 this is the course that was offered to us... I have t even seen anything about all cells requiring oxygen this came after the section in the book about diffusion osmosis and active transport to which I never saw anything about oxygen (except for an example about avvelous) respiration or cyanide

The part of the spec my teacher said it's from is 2.13 understand that movement of substances into and out of cells can be by diffusion, osmosis and active transport

And I should know this as diffusion osmosis happens automatically (that was also never said in the book or in any of my lesson)

Your explanation makes sense to me but I don't know how I would've gotten that had I not known what I know now....
Original post by torsby
Cyanide is not on my specification I am doing IGCSE 4Bi0 this is the course that was offered to us... I have t even seen anything about all cells requiring oxygen this came after the section in the book about diffusion osmosis and active transport to which I never saw anything about oxygen (except for an example about avvelous) respiration or cyanide

The part of the spec my teacher said it's from is 2.13 understand that movement of substances into and out of cells can be by diffusion, osmosis and active transport

And I should know this as diffusion osmosis happens automatically (that was also never said in the book or in any of my lesson)

Your explanation makes sense to me but I don't know how I would've gotten that had I not known what I know now....

What exam board?
Reply 9
What exam board?

Edexcel 4BI0
Reply 10
What exam board?

The question and answers to my problem
IMG_3159.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest