The Student Room Group

is English lit a good a level if i want to study psychology at uni?

I'm currently a yr 12 student studying chemistry biology and psychology. I am really struggling in biology (getting E's etc.). i got a 7 in GCSE biology but a 9/8 in English lit and lang. I'm considering dropping bio for English lit but i want to go to a Russell group for psychology and want to know if its worth it and if my application will be less appealing if i do not do biology. I'd appreciate any advice :smile:
Reply 1
Psychology at degree level is a science.
This is why the majority of Unis will want A level Psych and/or a science/maths subject.
If you are find Biology a struggle, then you may need to rethink doing Psych at Uni.

It sounds like you are more interested in 'social science', and the social aspects of Psych - have a look at these degree subjects :

Education with Psychology - Education with Psychology BA (Hons) (bath.ac.uk)
Social Science and Psychology - Social Science and Psychology BSc(Hons) (hud.ac.uk)
Sociology with Social Psychology - Sociology with Social Psychology (BA) - Undergraduate, University of York
Criminology and Psychology - Criminology and Criminal Psychology, BSc Hons | University of Greenwich, London
Childhood Studies - Childhood Studies | Study at Bristol | University of Bristol
etc, etc.
Original post by McGinger
Psychology at degree level is a science.
This is why the majority of Unis will want A level Psych and/or a science/maths subject.
If you are find Biology a struggle, then you may need to rethink doing Psych at Uni.

It sounds like you are more interested in 'social science', and the social aspects of Psych - have a look at these degree subjects :

Education with Psychology - Education with Psychology BA (Hons) (bath.ac.uk)
Social Science and Psychology - Social Science and Psychology BSc(Hons) (hud.ac.uk)
Sociology with Social Psychology - Sociology with Social Psychology (BA) - Undergraduate, University of York
Criminology and Psychology - Criminology and Criminal Psychology, BSc Hons | University of Greenwich, London
Childhood Studies - Childhood Studies | Study at Bristol | University of Bristol
etc, etc.

Thanks for your reply! I love psychology as a science and loved biology at GCSE. I’m also enjoying chemistry at a level. I do 2 subjects which uni’s like/recommend but I feel as though it would be easier for me to get a better grade in English lit compared to biology. I enjoy biology but see it difficult to imagine myself getting a better grade in it.
Hi! Thank you for your reply. I enjoy psychology as a science and enjoyed biology at GCSE. I also am doing a level chemistry and am doing well in that also. I’m doing 2 subjects which are appealing to uni’s, it’s just biology which I think is important, that I don’t think I’ll do well in. I imagine myself getting a better grade in English lit compared to biology. Hence why I’m struggling with what to do.

Quick Reply

Latest