The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

economist_robinson
Oh I love this thread! The information was really helpful - I read everything in the first post! But yes um I still have a question!
As I simply adore old architecture I really want to stay in one of the old halls - so im thinking st Regs, St Sallies or university Hall. How close are these to the centre of town and how close are they to the economics departments? Also is not having an en suite room as painful as it sounds? Thank you anyone who helps! :smile:

St Andrews is a tiny place so no hall is far from... well anything really but I'm pretty sure Economics is taught mainly on the Scores (the first street to the north of the town centre) and in Sallies Quad, meaning Obviously Sallies is closest (being right between sallies quad and the scores) then regs which is just to the south of the town centre (aprox 2-3 walk minutes away) Then Uni Hall (about 5-7 mins away). Cant comment on ensute as I've been in DRA for both of my years here so far.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Steeeeevo
St Andrews is a tiny place so no hall is far from... well anything really but I'm pretty sure Economics is taught mainly on the Scores (the first street to the north of the town centre) and in Sallies Quad, meaning Obviously Sallies is closest (being right between sallies quad and the scores) then regs which is just to the south of the town centre (aprox 2-3 walk minutes away) Then Uni Hall (about 5-7 mins away). Cant comment on ensute as I've been in DRA for both of my years here so far.

Oh thank you for your help! I have to say I am airing near going for Univ Hall as it seems just about the right size.. I am just trying to get my bearings on where everything is really. Also is there a university gym which students can use?
economist_robinson
Oh thank you for your help! I have to say I am airing near going for Univ Hall as it seems just about the right size.. I am just trying to get my bearings on where everything is really. Also is there a university gym which students can use?

yes which is right next to uni hall, the sports centre has well equipped gym, 2 sports halls and loads of outdoor pitches which are all available for student use see http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/sport/
Reply 23
If possible could we get a DRA Review :biggrin:
OK as I said I would do 1 before but didn’t, plus its better than revision

Location: 3rd furthest hall from town right next to Fife Park but in St Andrews that doesn’t mean much! It’s around 25 minute walk from the centre of town which can be cut to 10/15 minutes on a bike. It’s about a 10 minute walk to north haugh which is where most sciences are taught, and where Uni Hall, New Hall and Andrew Melville hall are located. There is a regular bus service from the front of DRA into town costing 80p for students (or less if you buy weekly tickets) for those who are just that bit lazy (or hungover)

Accommodation: DRA is the most modern accommodation with the oldest building being completed in 2002 and the newest in 2006. The site is made up of 15 blocks or houses each with 11 or 12 flats housing 5 students and a central facilities building. The site is very pretty and designed with a modern feel with most buildings over looking the central pond. Each bedroom is fairly large has amongst other things a double bed, a tv, ensuite (with a shower) and free access to the internet and shared rooms are rare. The in the flats themselves 5 people share a large kitchen with everything you would expect and even a dishwasher, though crockery and cutlery have to be provided by yourselves (some pans and baking trays are provided). Each person in the flat also gets their own lockable cupboard in the kitchen to store food ect if they want to, though most of the time people tend not to bother as with so few sharing kitchens people tend not to steal food like you sometimes get in other halls.

The central facilities building contains a games room with a (free) pool table, table tennis table and a few board games, a music room with a piano and drum kit, a TV room with sky, a dvd player, a Xbox 360 and a PS3 all projected onto the wall (also movies are regularly shown in here on Sundays). The central facilities building also has its own bar open every night from 6pm-12am (or 11pm if it is not very busy) serving drinks ate union prices and a bistro serving food from 8am(?) to 7pm Sunday Friday, and both the bar and the bistro are covered by free wireless internet.

Food: DRA is all self catered but meal tickets can be bought at the bistro or you can go just for the occasional meal when you can’t be bothered to cook so I thought I would put it here. The meals are usually very nice and fairly priced though portion sizes sometimes leave a little to be desired (unless you get on well with the staff :wink: ). Fast food such as burgers, fries and paninis are served throughout the day (healthier options also available) and breakfast, lunch and dinner are served at set times with an alternating menu. Dinner (usually 5 close) is the most popular with Tuesday (theme night) and Thursday (the most popular curry night) attracting the most custom (so much so they offer flat / house discounts if you can rope your friends along!)

Atmosphere: As has been criticised many times before DRA is not the most student friendly places and has clearly been designed with the tourist in mind but that does not mean it is complete void of atmosphere, you just have to try a little harder. The good point about DRA is love them or hate them you get to know 4 other people really well within you first few days which you can use as your foundation to get to know other people. All the senior students at DRA are past residents themselves and focus freshers week on forcing people to get to know each other which if you take part is a good way of meeting people. Also don’t be afraid to just go knocking on random doors in DRA and Fife Park in the first few weeks, its amazing how many people you can meet and become good friends with just because you knocked to say hi. As for the rest of the year atmosphere is great, there is a flat party in DRA practically every week and DRA always runs the best events.

Overall: DRA is a fantastic place to live with great people and if you're looking for the more independent lifestyle to get you ready for the real world then DRA is most definitely it. (well or Fife Park or Albany Park :p: )
o_O Well, SOMEONE's avoiding revision, aren't they?! :p: [Me too.] I've totally abandoned this thread for now, but once my exams are by, I'll try to tie everything up in the first post a bit.

Be warned that Uni Hall also has the Lumsden block, which isn't old and pretty. But you get a sink in your room, and the rooms in there are pretty well designed. I've been without ensuite both years, and it doesn't bother me, although if I got one without having to pay more, I wouldn't be saying no =)
ImperceptibleNinja
o_O Well, SOMEONE's avoiding revision, aren't they?! :p: [Me too.] I've totally abandoned this thread for now, but once my exams are by, I'll try to tie everything up in the first post a bit.

Be warned that Uni Hall also has the Lumsden block, which isn't old and pretty. But you get a sink in your room, and the rooms in there are pretty well designed. I've been without ensuite both years, and it doesn't bother me, although if I got one without having to pay more, I wouldn't be saying no =)

not so much avoiding revision as just not doing it, :p: I've done 1 hour TOTAL so far and my first exam is Tuesday, I just hope my freakish ability to cram doesn't let me down! :biggrin:
I've incredibly envious of your 'freakish ability'...
[another sentence you never expect to say.]
ImperceptibleNinja
I've incredibly envious of your 'freakish ability'...
[another sentence you never expect to say.]

dont be too envious, even with it im not likely to get any sleep tonight, bring on the pro-plus and lots of black coffee! ;farhan; (and i STILL havent stared, after dinner i will i swear! :p: )
;farhan; Lol, my flatmate's presently doing that as well.

[I'm SO SO SO bored of revision. I want to cycle really fast to nowhere in particular, climb a tree and get covered in the green stuff that tends to rub off the bark... then, umm, I don't know what. Probably cycle back slowly and have a shower. This relies on 'nowhere in particular' having trees.]
ImperceptibleNinja
;farhan; Lol, my flatmate's presently doing that as well.

[I'm SO SO SO bored of revision. I want to cycle really fast to nowhere in particular, climb a tree and get covered in the green stuff that tends to rub off the bark... then, umm, I don't know what. Probably cycle back slowly and have a shower. This relies on 'nowhere in particular' having trees.]

Ha ha, thats so weird, I was just sort of thinking that thinking that too, so I actually went for a bike ride around DRA in the rain...... wearing nothing but a dressing gown! ha ha, it was good fun, though a bit cold! definitely no tree climbing involved though and the shower was a must afterwards! :biggrin:

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I was SOBER!!! (though pretty high of caffeine :p: )
Reply 31
Haha, is it bad if I tell you that I did 1 ½ hour IR revision in the morning before my exam - in TOTAL? :p:
Ah, but you said you didn't like IR all that much... although 1.5 hours is quite impressive. How did the exam go?

Steeeeevo, did you do one lap of the DRA paths, or did you go round in circles repeatedly? Next time you get the urge to do this, give me some warning. It's the kind of relief I think I'd benefit from :p:
Reply 33
ImperceptibleNinja
Ah, but you said you didn't like IR all that much... although 1.5 hours is quite impressive. How did the exam go?

True! It went really well though, despite everything - I guess once you know the art of bull*****ting you'll do fine in IR :wink: Definitely not a fail at least.
ImperceptibleNinja

Steeeeevo, did you do one lap of the DRA paths, or did you go round in circles repeatedly? Next time you get the urge to do this, give me some warning. It's the kind of relief I think I'd benefit from :p:

Ha ha, it was spur of the moment stuff, I was going to do a lap of DRA but only got as far a shairp and circled around that, it was bloody cold! meby next time though I be a bit more extravagant (and probably / hopefully drunk enough to justify it!!!)...... meby a triathlon with a bike ride, a swim across the lake and a sprint back me thinks! I never did get around to going in the lake last year after I nearly broke my arm just running across the middle of it! ruined a good pair a jeans too! :p:
The pond gets deep enough to SWIM in?! I thought it was a Health-And-Safety-obedient maximum of 1m 'deep'.

I think a triathlon with paddling/wading would be more entertaining though.
Yes. I'd pay to see it. Will you be taking sponsors?
dragon500uk
Yes. I'd pay to see it. Will you be taking sponsors?

only in alcohol! :p: (woo first exam in 8 hours and Im totally unprepared after just LEARNING some of the stuff for the first time in the bar a few hours ago! wish me luck!)
Right! My last question to do with accommodation! I am filling the form out now, but it asks for no hall of preference just the type of hall preferred should I be rebellious and write on its somewhere that university hall would be nice:smile:? Or is that to presumptious?
Reply 39
wot is this accommodation form? am i meant to already hav one? tbh i really havnt even thought bout accommodation it jus seems so far away :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending