The Student Room Group

Psychology Graduates and Post-Graduates - Questions for You!

I am about to begin a 3 year (or 4 with a year abroad) Psychology BSc at King's College London. I have always wanted to do Psychology and hope to end up as a counsellor/therapist, but I also have a firm understanding of the many downsides to finding work with only a bachelor's degree. I don't have any doubts, but I would like to know what you all think about your position.

1. What job did you enter into as soon as you left university?

2. For a future Masters degree in Psychology, do you believe that it is a good idea to be doing relevant work experience throughout my BSc course? What do you suggest would be a good place to apply to?

3. If you are pursuing a masters degree, what requirements did you need to fulfil in order to be offered a place?

4. Is there anything that I should know about finding a job after completing my BSc? I understand that I'm not gonna jump straight into a Psychology based job as soon as I finish, but is there any jobs that you think will help to provide good skills to help me in the future?

Thank you all in advance
Original post by LenniesRabbit
I am about to begin a 3 year (or 4 with a year abroad) Psychology BSc at King's College London. I have always wanted to do Psychology and hope to end up as a counsellor/therapist, but I also have a firm understanding of the many downsides to finding work with only a bachelor's degree. I don't have any doubts, but I would like to know what you all think about your position.

1. What job did you enter into as soon as you left university?

2. For a future Masters degree in Psychology, do you believe that it is a good idea to be doing relevant work experience throughout my BSc course? What do you suggest would be a good place to apply to?

3. If you are pursuing a masters degree, what requirements did you need to fulfil in order to be offered a place?

4. Is there anything that I should know about finding a job after completing my BSc? I understand that I'm not gonna jump straight into a Psychology based job as soon as I finish, but is there any jobs that you think will help to provide good skills to help me in the future?

Thank you all in advance

On #2 its always good to do work experience or at least something with your spare time, just getting a good degree classification isn't enough to make you stand out. Not sure what the best experience would be in your case, you could go down the practical route and volunteer in something mental health based, or you could email academics in your home university about helping with research in a related area.
On #3 on you normally need a 2.i, though it depends some masters courses are very competitive, most are quite easy to get on to. Not sure about the ones related to clinical psychology.
On #4 you should know what you will get many rejections so you need to have the grit to keep pursuing what you're interested in. There are quite a lot of research assistant roles for graduates where you can work for a charity or university doing helping run research studies into something your interested in.
However, its worth clarifying what kind of job you want to do when you leave uni, the training routes for becoming a counsellor or therapist are much different than to becoming a clinical psychologist. You only need a psychology degree for the latter, for example.

Quick Reply

Latest