The Student Room Group

I work as a Clinical Psychologist, ask me anything (within reason)

As above please feel free to ask my any burning questions around how to get into this field.

Take care,

Greg

Scroll to see replies

Hi Greg,

I am currently studying as a final third-year student of Bachelor of Science in Psychology. I am taking all the optional modules to do with clinical or neurological psychology. After I graduate, I would like to pursue a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (ClinPsyD) for three years.

However, looking through universities offering this programme, it seems they are quite picky and do not like individuals like me, who still have not yet completed their bachelor degree and do not have any sort of clinical psychology experience. Is there a way for me to get to the course straight after I finish my bachelor? Can I apply as an undergraduate student (not yet graduate)?

Many thanks in advance,
Max
Reply 2
Original post by MaxiCupcake
Hi Greg,

I am currently studying as a final third-year student of Bachelor of Science in Psychology. I am taking all the optional modules to do with clinical or neurological psychology. After I graduate, I would like to pursue a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (ClinPsyD) for three years.

However, looking through universities offering this programme, it seems they are quite picky and do not like individuals like me, who still have not yet completed their bachelor degree and do not have any sort of clinical psychology experience. Is there a way for me to get to the course straight after I finish my bachelor? Can I apply as an undergraduate student (not yet graduate)?

Many thanks in advance,
Max

I love your drive and ambition, these are core traits to be a psychologist for sure. The short answer is no, not really. Somepeople do get on straight from their undergrad, but these are normally people who studied later in life and already have significant experience prior.
I had the same drive to skip the queue as you seem to have but now with hindsight i can see that approach was foolhardy. Most applicants who get on the doctorate have many, many more years experience than 1 year and there is a reason for it. The doctorate is a challenging academic and practical environment, where you will be expected to hit the ground running in every area. You will be thrust straight into dealing with some really complex situations, people who want to end their lives, people who significant trauma, children in abuse situations etc. On top of this you will have to submit assignments and prep a research project to be published and at a doctoral level (with in my and my colleagues' experiences very little supervision). This is why course ask for at least 12 months experience, its not to act as a superficial barrier but instead to ensure you have started to build the plethora of skills you need to flourish, not flounder on the course.
To give you some context I got on the doctorate relatively quickly post undergrad (accepted 19 months after), however i did have a previous career to draw upon. All of us had postgrad quals, and 2 had PhDs and most had 3 plus years experience in mental health. The average age was 28. These should give you an indication of the standard of applicant you are up against. If you have the drive and ambition i think you have, you will want to be at the top of these group not hanging on at the bottom also.
Dont make the mistakes that others do, and see the hoops of experience and academics as barriers but instead see them as steps to hone your craft and knowledge. I still draw upon my pre qual experience every day and it has made me a better professional, but more importantly a better person because and through it.
Hope this helps Max, feel free to send me any follow ups.
Greg
Reply 3
Hi,

I am Interested in Psychology Conversion Masters.. to further do clinical psychology (ClinPsyD). I have master in Community studies from Loughborough University and one master in criminology.

I am a certified trainer of neuro linguistics programming (NLP) and coaching. Last 5 years I’ve worked as a coach. I want to pursue my career in clinical psychology and I’m wondering if my experience as a coach will be helpful?

And can I do online courses/ studies in ClinPsyD? As I’m planning to travel abroad (husband has to move to a Scandinavian country due to his work commitments).

Thank you for your help ☺️
Reply 4
Original post by greg tony
As above please feel free to ask my any burning questions around how to get into this field.

Take care,

Greg

Hey Greg

I'm about to enrol on an MSc in Psychology as a part time student on a distance learning course. This represents a career change for me and I need to keep working and earning while I study, hence part time really suits.

My thinking today is that I'll go on to study Clinical Psychology though my question is are distance learning courses considered less well within the industry, or is the playing field pretty even where this is concerned?

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

SPM
Reply 5
Original post by SiPaMa
Hey Greg

I'm about to enrol on an MSc in Psychology as a part time student on a distance learning course. This represents a career change for me and I need to keep working and earning while I study, hence part time really suits.

My thinking today is that I'll go on to study Clinical Psychology though my question is are distance learning courses considered less well within the industry, or is the playing field pretty even where this is concerned?

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

SPM

They are treated exactly the same, I did mine via the OU and it never held me back. If anything I had more evidence of great organisational skills than others who took the more standardised brick uni.

Good luck,

Greg
What career paths open up with a degree in psychology?
Reply 7
What do you do as part of your job?
Reply 8
Original post by Elizabeth200
What career paths open up with a degree in psychology?

Nearly all jobs, but main ones specific to psychology, are CBT therapist, PWP, psychotherapist and research positions (all need further study though, although some are on the job).

Greg
Reply 9
Original post by black tea
What do you do as part of your job?

I do individual therapy for children and parents, i offer expertise on other clinicians assessments (so help them differentiate things like adhd from attachment/trauma or learning difficulties being a commmon one). I do training for other staff, i do my own training on new therapies (lots of reading) and try and do some academic research. There also lots of time doing reports, notes and meetings (average is 1/3 of week seeing people, 1/3 doing reports and 1/3 doing meetings and training).

Every day is different really, and depending on your interests and the service you work, you can shape your day to suit your own skills.

Greg
Reply 10
Original post by greg tony

Take care,

Greg

Could I become a mental health nurse and then go into clinical psychology? If so, how would I do this?
why do you sign off every post with your name?
Reply 12
Original post by black tea
why do you sign off every post with your name?

Because i like it, feels more personable.

Greg
Reply 13
Original post by nmcgrath
Could I become a mental health nurse and then go into clinical psychology? If so, how would I do this?

Yes of course, its been done before. You would need all the same things as any other career moving into psychology, so a BPS accredited degree or conversion and then lots of experience.

Nursing is an amazing career by itself but very different than psychology, so not always directly transferable skills (medical vs psychological models etc). If you are not already in nursing, id advise going straight for psychology if its your eventual goal.

Good luck,

Greg
Reply 14
hi Greg,

I'm an international student, currently pursuing the psychology conversion course at Cardiff University. I have to complete a placement required by the course. I was wondering if you could please guide me regarding the same. Additionally, I was wondering, do you know what the path looks for an international student who has completed a conversion course?
Hi Greg

I am a 38 year old woman who would like to go into studying an open university degree in psychology, however with the career path I would like to take I realise that I will need to complete a master's and then a PhD. I wouldn't then be qualified for a role that I would like for many, many years. Am I too late in life to start this sort of study and are there any other jobs I can go into with the degree in psychology only and not with a master's and PhD?

Thanks

Jodie
Reply 16
Original post by aspaasp98
hi Greg,

I'm an international student, currently pursuing the psychology conversion course at Cardiff University. I have to complete a placement required by the course. I was wondering if you could please guide me regarding the same. Additionally, I was wondering, do you know what the path looks for an international student who has completed a conversion course?

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out.

Placements as part of courses are normally sourced by the university. They either sort it all or help you with access to some preferred or previous providers.

Regarding international pathway, it is very competitive for the clinical doctorate but it is of course possible. You may need to consult courses reference their ability to take on international students. Course are generally NHS funded, as you will be expected to do a number of paid placements as part of the course. So you will need to ensure you are eligible as an international student, as well as if you can access the courses themselves. This will differ on your right to work and status in country. Some, not all, courses do have self funded options but it is expensive and not widespread.

If i were you id email universities that run the doctorate and go from there.

Good luck,

Greg
Reply 17
Original post by Jodielocke
Hi Greg

I am a 38 year old woman who would like to go into studying an open university degree in psychology, however with the career path I would like to take I realise that I will need to complete a master's and then a PhD. I wouldn't then be qualified for a role that I would like for many, many years. Am I too late in life to start this sort of study and are there any other jobs I can go into with the degree in psychology only and not with a master's and PhD?

Thanks

Jodie

Hi Jodie,

While most applicants who get onto the doctorate may have evidence of postgrad study, not all do. I didnt. What matters is your suitability and achieving a good undergrad is key.

2 people on my course were 40, and some courses have people much older. The average age for mine was 30, so you may not stand out as much as you think.

Also there are plenty of jobs you can do, such as cbt therapist or PWP (google them) that require on the job training and some paid further study. There are loads more so please have a good research.

Greg
Reply 18
Hi Greg, what sort of experience did you have prior to applying and what areas/roles do you recommend the experience be in to get onto the dclinpsy course? Thanks!!
Do you work for the NHS? If so what is your honest experience? It’s a very seemingly volatile environment for staff at the moment.

I always used to want to become a Clinical Psychologist, but my passions have taken me elsewhere down a forensic route.

Quick Reply

Latest