The Student Room Group

DPsych Counselling psychology GCU - 2024

Is anyone applying for this programme for september 2024?

Scroll to see replies

Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Sorry to see the thread being so quiet. Guess not many people in TSR are considering DPsych CounsPsy. I am not in any of these programs yet but I do have friends who completed their PsyD and now working as a Clinical Psy. Maybe we can share what we know.
Reply 3
Original post by abbie465

You have posted this in the medicine forum, so not likely to find many takers here, I suspect
Reply 4

Hey Abbie, I am applying and am in the process of completing the application now. Have you submitted yours?
A bit late but better late than never - moved the to the psychology forum!
Reply 6
Original post by skaur1996
Hey Abbie, I am applying and am in the process of completing the application now. Have you submitted yours?

Hi there. I am in the process of completing my application too, hoping to have it submitted in the next few weeks!
Reply 7
Original post by TomS2471
Hi there. I am in the process of completing my application too, hoping to have it submitted in the next few weeks!

Hi, good luck with your application! How are you finding the application process? Do you know when the deadline for applying is? I am nervous about my previous experience not being enough as I've heard the course is really competitive!
Reply 8
Hi, good luck with your application! How are you finding the application process? Do you know when the deadline for applying is? I am nervous about my previous experience not being enough as I've heard the course is really competitive!

Thank you - good luck to you too! I'm finding the process good so far, excited to pull it all together and to see what 2024 has in store. How about you, how are you finding it? I totally understand your nerves re previous experience, I think it's normal to feel that way with the course being quite competitive.

I am not sure when the submission deadline is, however, at an open evening the admissions team had said that the first batch of applications don't tend to start being processed until roughly March/April time.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 9
Thank you - good luck to you too! I'm finding the process good so far, excited to pull it all together and to see what 2024 has in store. How about you, how are you finding it? I totally understand your nerves re previous experience, I think it's normal to feel that way with the course being quite competitive.

I am not sure when the submission deadline is, however, at an open evening the admissions team had said that the first batch of applications don't tend to start being processed until roughly March/April time.

I feel you on being excited about it all; I've heard such good things about the course, so I'm really hoping I can get on!

I think I felt ok, but I only noticed they changed the essay question on the website last week, and this pushed me back a bit as I had already started planning for the previous essay. I'm completing my masters at the moment so I think I'm struggling to manage both but hoping to submit things mid-February and am trying my best to stay positive 🙂
Reply 10
I feel you on being excited about it all; I've heard such good things about the course, so I'm really hoping I can get on!

I think I felt ok, but I only noticed they changed the essay question on the website last week, and this pushed me back a bit as I had already started planning for the previous essay. I'm completing my masters at the moment so I think I'm struggling to manage both but hoping to submit things mid-February and am trying my best to stay positive 🙂

I had done the exact same - I was planning out my essay in December and then noticed the question had changed, so can empathise with you on that curveball!

That sounds like a lot of pressure with you doing your masters at the moment as well, fingers crossed for you. How're you finding the masters?
Reply 11
I had done the exact same - I was planning out my essay in December and then noticed the question had changed, so can empathise with you on that curveball!

That sounds like a lot of pressure with you doing your masters at the moment as well, fingers crossed for you. How're you finding the masters?

Thank you so much! Good luck to you too, hopefully this time next year we will both be on the course! The masters is enjoyable just very stressful at the moment with doing the application as I really want to get in. Just trying my best to stay positive 🙂
I’ve just submitted my application. Good luck!

I had the same thing, started last years essay and then had to re-do it ☹️ Good luck with your application though!
Original post by nicolawilson83
I had the same thing, started last years essay and then had to re-do it ☹️ Good luck with your application though!
Good luck to you too! I keep checking my emails but I think they can take a while to reply so now we wait!
Reply 15
Hi everyone, I've just found this forum and it's been so reassuring reading about other people's experiences of applying. Has anyone heard anything back from applications yet? I was hoping we might start to hear sometime this week whether we've got to interview stage. Good luck everyone!
Original post by Craw52
Hi everyone, I've just found this forum and it's been so reassuring reading about other people's experiences of applying. Has anyone heard anything back from applications yet? I was hoping we might start to hear sometime this week whether we've got to interview stage. Good luck everyone!

Hi, I got an email today regarding an interview! It has taken a while but maybe they just are getting back to people now - did you hear back? Good luck with your application!
Reply 17
Hi, I got an email today regarding an interview! It has taken a while but maybe they just are getting back to people now - did you hear back? Good luck with your application!

Congratulations! I heard back too and have an interview the week after next! Not sure how best to prepare for it so I've just been reading some counselling psychology books that i used for the application essay. It's only half an hour so there's not a lot of time to get who you are across and why you want to do the course. Is your interview the same week? Good luck!
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Original post by Craw52
Congratulations! I heard back too and have an interview the week after next! Not sure how best to prepare for it so I've just been reading some counselling psychology books that i used for the application essay. It's only half an hour so there's not a lot of time to get who you are across and why you want to do the course. Is your interview the same week? Good luck!

Thank you, good luck to you too! Yes, mine is in the same week and I agree 30 mins isn't long at all - hopefully it will go by quickly! I'm feeling super nervous but also so excited to get this far and can only try my best! Let me know how it goes and good luck to anyone else who has an interview 🙂

Hiya, I am planning on applying

Quick Reply

Latest