The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

bath or bristol?

I wanted to know whether it's better to go to bath or bristol to study psychology. I know that the entry requirements for both are the same (A*AA) but bath does a placement year whereas i dont think bristol does. Apart from this, which one would be best according to nightlife and education?
Original post by giselledias08
I wanted to know whether it's better to go to bath or bristol to study psychology. I know that the entry requirements for both are the same (A*AA) but bath does a placement year whereas i dont think bristol does. Apart from this, which one would be best according to nightlife and education?

Nightlife? Bristol.
Education? Bath.

Which is most important to you?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Bath - because Bristol's degree doesnt offer you a placement.

Hello there @giselledias08!

Really great to hear you are considering Bath for Psychology! 😊 I am a recent graduate from the Psychology course with a placement here at Bath so thought I'd jump in to help a little bit.

In terms of nightlife, as Bristol is a larger city there may be more choice of nightlife there, however Bath still has a few really nice bars, restaurants/pubs and nightclubs with regular theme nights and student deals (this blog gives a great overview of them!). However as those Unis are only a 40 minute-ish bus ride apart you can make the most of the nightlife in both cities whichever you choose.

In terms of education, I would say that whichever Uni you choose from Bath or Bristol you would get a good education as both are high-ranked for the course. However the opportunity to do a placement is quite rare in Psychology courses at university and definitely adds some great experience to a CV when you are looking for employment after graduation, and this is one of the things that drew me to Bath. Doing a placement is a fantastic way to learn about the career paths your degree could open up and what you might/might not want to do in the future. It also gives you a ‘foot in the door’ with your placement providers should you wish to pursue a role with them after graduation! A placement year could be really enjoyable and open a up a lot of doors and opportunities for you to learn and get experience in things beyond what your course can offer. I personally loved my placement year and found the experience it gave me so valuable for job applications!

At the end of the day its about finding which university and course ‘feels right’ for you 😊 Have you visited the campuses and cities? This could be a great way to visualise what being a student there could be like.

I hope this helps you a little - very best of luck and please post any more questions you have on here.

Holly
University of Bath
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
thanks you so much! this was very helpful and i think i'm gonna go with bath!
(Original post by University of Bath)Hello there @giselledias08!

Really great to hear you are considering Bath for Psychology! 😊 I am a recent graduate from the Psychology course with a placement here at Bath so thought I'd jump in to help a little bit.

In terms of nightlife, as Bristol is a larger city there may be more choice of nightlife there, however Bath still has a few really nice bars, restaurants/pubs and nightclubs with regular theme nights and student deals (this blog gives a great overview of them!). However as those Unis are only a 40 minute-ish bus ride apart you can make the most of the nightlife in both cities whichever you choose.

In terms of education, I would say that whichever Uni you choose from Bath or Bristol you would get a good education as both are high-ranked for the course. However the opportunity to do a placement is quite rare in Psychology courses at university and definitely adds some great experience to a CV when you are looking for employment after graduation, and this is one of the things that drew me to Bath. Doing a placement is a fantastic way to learn about the career paths your degree could open up and what you might/might not want to do in the future. It also gives you a ‘foot in the door’ with your placement providers should you wish to pursue a role with them after graduation! A placement year could be really enjoyable and open a up a lot of doors and opportunities for you to learn and get experience in things beyond what your course can offer. I personally loved my placement year and found the experience it gave me so valuable for job applications!

At the end of the day its about finding which university and course ‘feels right’ for you 😊 Have you visited the campuses and cities? This could be a great way to visualise what being a student there could be like.

I hope this helps you a little - very best of luck and please post any more questions you have on here.

Holly
University of Bath
thanks you so much! this was very helpful and i think i'm gonna go with bath!
(Original post by University of Bath)Hello there @giselledias08!

Holly
University of Bath

Hi!! I also am planning on applying to Bath for psychology! I was wondering if the course with the work placement is more competitive than the 3-year psychology course. Would applying for the four-year course be more disadvantageous for me as it has fewer spaces with the same grade requirements? ( I am predicted 3A stars one A). Thanks!!!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi!! I also am planning on applying to Bath for psychology! I was wondering if the course with the work placement is more competitive than the 3-year psychology course. Would applying for the four-year course be more disadvantageous for me as it has fewer spaces with the same grade requirements? ( I am predicted 3A stars one A). Thanks!!!

I’m pretty sure the courses take in applicants the same and it dosent matter if you do a year in industry or not because they don’t have a certain amount of spaces that they need to fill for each. That was at least the same for when I applied for politics& ir with a placement
Reply 7
Original post by user123456324
I’m pretty sure the courses take in applicants the same and it dosent matter if you do a year in industry or not because they don’t have a certain amount of spaces that they need to fill for each. That was at least the same for when I applied for politics& ir with a placement

Psychology is different and has target quotas for placement / non-placement.
ah i wasnt aware of that mb

Then im going to assume that psychology without placement is easier to get into because that is less desirable

Original post by McGinger
Psychology is different and has target quotas for placement / non-placement.

Quick Reply

Latest