The Student Room Group

Should I study psychology at Cardiff or Bristol????

I was wondering if anyone could help me to make a decision between Cardiff and Bristol. Overall I prefer Cardiff 's modules and it has a placement year, however Bristol has a better reputation. To add I can get a contextual offer from both!
Reply 1
Original post by elizabethade1233
I was wondering if anyone could help me to make a decision between Cardiff and Bristol. Overall I prefer Cardiff 's modules and it has a placement year, however Bristol has a better reputation. To add I can get a contextual offer from both!

Hey! To be honest, even without anyone making any suggestions, it sounds like you're mentally leaning towards Cardiff and the only thing holding you back is Bristol's rep which to be honest, Cardiff has too! They are both Russel Group Universities so on that level, Cardiff's rep is just as good as Bristol's. I wouldn't want you going to Bristol and then later regretting it because it lacks the modules and placement that Cardiff has. Just remember any University will give you a degree no matter its reputation, so try to prioritise being happy there! The fact that you can get contextuals in both is really useful though, if you have enough space in your 5 application slots, I would put them both down. If not, I think Cardiff Uni is the one for you. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by ff005
Hey! To be honest, even without anyone making any suggestions, it sounds like you're mentally leaning towards Cardiff and the only thing holding you back is Bristol's rep which to be honest, Cardiff has too! They are both Russel Group Universities so on that level, Cardiff's rep is just as good as Bristol's. I wouldn't want you going to Bristol and then later regretting it because it lacks the modules and placement that Cardiff has. Just remember any University will give you a degree no matter its reputation, so try to prioritise being happy there! The fact that you can get contextuals in both is really useful though, if you have enough space in your 5 application slots, I would put them both down. If not, I think Cardiff Uni is the one for you. Good luck! :smile:

Thank so much for the reply, I think this just sealed the deal for me!
Reply 3
Any course with a placement year - it immediately gives you a head-start against all the other new graduates.
Beyond the placement year, which is a huge advantage is the issue of accomodation and cost of living in those two cities. Bristol is now one of the most expensive cities to live in as a student outside of London and Cardiff is much cheaper and easier to find accomodation within. If money isn't an object this may not matter to you, but for many students it does need to be considered.
Original post by elizabethade1233

Hey there,

I'm actually currently a psychology student at Cardiff doing placement year! So if you had any questions you wanted to ask me around that side of things, I'm happy to chat about 🙂

But yes, the above comments have summarised it perfectly! I hope you end up choosing the course you're happy with.

Fatiha, Cardiff Uni Student Rep

Reply 6
Original post by CardiffUni Rep 2
Hey there,

I'm actually currently a psychology student at Cardiff doing placement year! So if you had any questions you wanted to ask me around that side of things, I'm happy to chat about 🙂

But yes, the above comments have summarised it perfectly! I hope you end up choosing the course you're happy with.

heyy I got an offer from Cardiff for the samee exact course! i just wanted to ask- what is the placement year like? also ive been dying to find out more about the research facilities at Cardiff from a student!! how are theyy?
Original post by durv
heyy I got an offer from Cardiff for the samee exact course! i just wanted to ask- what is the placement year like? also ive been dying to find out more about the research facilities at Cardiff from a student!! how are theyy?

Hey Durv! Congratulations, first of all, that's amazing!

Placement year is going really well for me. I really enjoy it - its quite a nice break away from worrying about assignments and studying. I'm currently doing a clinical placement, and it's really helped reinforce what I want to do in the future.

There's loads of research happening in Cardiff! We have a building dedicated to neuroimaging and another one dedicated to developmental psychology research. I don't think I am able to summarise the breadth of research we do here so I'll provide a link here so you can know more about it :smile:

In terms of what you can get involved in as a student, there's loads! You're able to participate as a participant for a lot of studies. There are also loads of summer internship opportunities in psychological research at the university, which are paid! I did one of these last summer and it was a brilliant opportunity.

In placement year you have the opportunity to do research placements as well as clinical placements. There are opportunities to do research in Cardiff, but also other parts of the UK and at international universities!

Let me know if you had any other questions :smile:

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
Reply 8
omg thank you so much for your response! the placement year indeed sounds wonderful! I just wanted some insight from someone who has experienced it lol the link is super helpful too I look forward to studying at Cardiff esp the placement year haha
Hey Durv! Congratulations, first of all, that's amazing!
Placement year is going really well for me. I really enjoy it - its quite a nice break away from worrying about assignments and studying. I'm currently doing a clinical placement, and it's really helped reinforce what I want to do in the future.
There's loads of research happening in Cardiff! We have a building dedicated to neuroimaging and another one dedicated to developmental psychology research. I don't think I am able to summarise the breadth of research we do here so I'll provide a link here so you can know more about it :smile:
In terms of what you can get involved in as a student, there's loads! You're able to participate as a participant for a lot of studies. There are also loads of summer internship opportunities in psychological research at the university, which are paid! I did one of these last summer and it was a brilliant opportunity.
In placement year you have the opportunity to do research placements as well as clinical placements. There are opportunities to do research in Cardiff, but also other parts of the UK and at international universities!
Let me know if you had any other questions :smile:

I’ve got an offer for the same course as well! Was wondering if we get paid during the placement year? And also how much support the uni offers during the placement year? Also, even tho my course is with professional placement, can I still decide later on to not do the placement year?
Original post by grapesmangoes
I’ve got an offer for the same course as well! Was wondering if we get paid during the placement year? And also how much support the uni offers during the placement year? Also, even tho my course is with professional placement, can I still decide later on to not do the placement year?
Hey, congratulations!

So it depends on the placement! So organisations reach out to the university and these placements can be unpaid or paid. The course then advertises it for students. I will say though, most placements are unpaid. If you're looking for placements that are more clinical, you're very unlikely to get paid. A lot of research placements tend to be a mix - sometimes they are paid, sometimes not. Same goes for occupational placements.

There's loads of support! So you apply in second year, and the careers service at the uni basically does a whole series of talks on how to apply, how to do interviews, CV advice etc. They also offer one to one appointments on improving your application, mock interviews. The uni also has access to programs that offers suggestions on how to improve your CV, which is pretty cool :smile:

There's also a couple of placement talks running over finances, prepping for placement year etc. During the placement itself, you get access to a uni supervisor specific for your placement (I feel like I'm over-using this word haha!). They're super helpful. You still get to contact your personal tutor for any additional issues. There are multiple check ins throughout the year and the uni supervisor can help you with any issues you run into with your placement, for example.

And yes to the last question! Its absolutely open. Lots of student pick placement year but actually end up dropping it after 2nd year, and on the other hand, lots of people who initially chose the 3 years only transfer to do a placement year.

Hope that answers all your questions!

(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by ff005

I would disagree, Bristol is signifcantly better regarded than cardiff. Bristol is arguably as prestigeous as places like edinburgh, manchester, exeter etc. Cardiff does not have the same claim
Reply 12
Original post by new-sick
I would disagree, Bristol is signifcantly better regarded than cardiff. Bristol is arguably as prestigeous as places like edinburgh, manchester, exeter etc. Cardiff does not have the same claim

Fair enough! 😄 I guess I was looking at it moreso from an 'on-paper' perspective, but you make a valid point!
Reply 13
Hey there,

Hi Fatiha,

I have an offer from Cardiff to study Psychology (3 year, course C800). If I decide after I start that I'd like to do a professional placement year, is it easy enough to effectively transfer from the C800 course to the C810 course and undertake a placement in year 3?

Thanks.
Original post by hevphev
Hi Fatiha,
I have an offer from Cardiff to study Psychology (3 year, course C800). If I decide after I start that I'd like to do a professional placement year, is it easy enough to effectively transfer from the C800 course to the C810 course and undertake a placement in year 3?
Thanks.

Hi there! Congrats on your offer :smile:

Yes, absolutely. The course is really flexible with that. Every student gets access to support for placement applications, interviews etc and the contact list of placements in year 2. You only really transfer to the placement year course if you get an offer for a placement, which admin will then sort for you as soon as you inform them. So, no pressure to choose either one or change course up until that point :smile:

Reply 15
Hi there! Congrats on your offer :smile:
Yes, absolutely. The course is really flexible with that. Every student gets access to support for placement applications, interviews etc and the contact list of placements in year 2. You only really transfer to the placement year course if you get an offer for a placement, which admin will then sort for you as soon as you inform them. So, no pressure to choose either one or change course up until that point :smile:

Hi Fathia,

thanks for your reply, that's good to know!

Looks like you're enjoying the course - I hope the rest of your placement year and final year go well!

Best wishes.
Original post by hevphev
Hi Fathia,
thanks for your reply, that's good to know!
Looks like you're enjoying the course - I hope the rest of your placement year and final year go well!
Best wishes.

Hi,

Of course, no worries! Thank you, I am definitely enjoying my course 🙂 Let me know if you did have any other questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest