The Student Room Group

Official BMAT November Thread 2017 (2018 entry)

Universities that require BMAT

UK Medical Schools Undergraduate Study: University of Cambridge, University of Oxford, Imperial College London, University College London (UCL), University of Leeds, University of Lancaster

International Medical Schools Undergraduate Study: Malaysia University (Malaysia), Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine (Singapore), University of Malaya (Malaysia), Thammasat University CICM, (Thailand), Mahidol University (Thailand)

UK Medical Schools Postgraduate Study: University of Oxford, Imperial College London

UK Veterinary Schools: University of Cambridge.

UK Biomedical Science: University of Oxford, Imperial College London

UK and International Dental Schools: University of Leeds,University of Melbourne (Australia), Thammasat University (Thailand

What are the different sections of the BMAT?

Section 1 (Aptitude and Skills)
Number of Questions: 35 Multiple Choice Questions
Time: 60 Minutes
Question Types: Problem Solving, Data Handling & Critical Thinking

Section 2 (Scientific Knowledge and Applications)
Number of Questions: 27 Multiple Choice Questions
Time: 30 Minutes
Question Types: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics to a GCSE Level
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/47829-bmat-test-specification.pdf (For Science Specification)

Section 3 (Written Task)
Number of Questions: 1 Essay (Choice of 4)
Time: 30 Minutes
Question Types: Topical Medical Issues, Medical Ethics, Medical Philosophy, Veterinary Medicine

Useful Resources for the BMAT

Past Papers - Available at: http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat/

Books

1. Preparing for the BMAT: The Official Guide to the Biomedical Admissions Test

2. Get into Medical School. 400 BMAT Practice Questions

3. The Ultimate BMAT Guide: 800 Practice Questions

Should I sit the BMAT in November or September?

Pros of September BMAT

You know you score earlier. This is a benefit because if the BMAT goes badly you can just apply to one or none at all.

Doesn't affect school work. With the way A-levels have changed, you have a hard A2 year so you need to be prepared to focus from the get go.

Pros of November BMAT

You have more time to revise. The BMAT requires lots of preparation, especially as many students need to revisit Physics. So the time is very valuable.

You have more time for the UKCAT. Many students have a packed summer, with travelling and UCAS, so tend to sit UKCAT in August. You do not want to split your revision too much as both exams are very taxing.

You have more time for your personal statement. You need to dedicate enough time to your personal statement, as well as these admissions tests. Doing UKCAT alongside your personal statement in summer is fine, but adding in BMAT makes things very difficult.

You are likely to do BMAT anyway. If you do terrible at UKCAT, then you will not want to apply to 4 UKCAT universities. If you brilliantly at UKCAT, you will feel more confident to apply to BMAT universities. So either way you might consider BMAT quite strongly. It is a risk, but with more preparation you are less likely to do badly in BMAT.

At the end of the day there is no right answer and it is really based on factors such as:

Your timetable for summer and term 1
How strongly you want to go to a BMAT university
Your confidence in your BMAT abilities
Your UKCAT score
If you are applying to Oxford
Whether you need to re-revise Physics
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How could I start preparing for the November BMAt exam now, providing it doesn't clash with ukcat prep?
Examples could be reading ethical books or improving mental maths? idk
Reply 2
Original post by I did nazi u
How could I start preparing for the November BMAt exam now, providing it doesn't clash with ukcat prep?

Hey!

If I'm honest I'd say focus on your UKCAT for now, and wait until you get that out of the way. When are you sitting it?

There's lots of ways you can prep for the BMAT :smile:
Reply 3
We'll be posting a tip a day for the BMAT so keep your eyes peeled :smile:
Hey! I'll be taking the BMAT in November :h:
UKCAT is on the 4th of September and my internal UCAS deadline is the 23rd, so I'll probably start BMAT prep right at the end of September.

Dreading section 3, and hopefully the Physics section won't be too bad :redface:
Hi there!

I was debating whether to take the BMAT in September or November but, sadly, I am unable to travel to the UK in order to take it early - the sheer amount of schoolwork does not allow for it!

Overall I am rather confident with S1, been scoring high 6s so far. S2 is going well too, except for physics. Seems I forgot quite a lot since IGCSE!

S3 will be quite interesting as well, though I usually don't mind essays. Let's see how it goes :smile:

You shouldnt do it now because youll drain resources and yourself out. focus on ukcat right now- you only need a month to revise for bmat so start early october or late september as thats the ideal time when everyone starts and youll be fine :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by surina16
Hey! I'll be taking the BMAT in November :h:
UKCAT is on the 4th of September and my internal UCAS deadline is the 23rd, so I'll probably start BMAT prep right at the end of September.

Dreading section 3, and hopefully the Physics section won't be too bad :redface:

Hey!

That's a lot of deadlines wow!

Well I'd say you follow this, this is just my recommendation. Obviously don't neglect your A-Level studies at all.

Medic Mind Suggested Schedule for your UKCAT, PS and BMAT Dates
11th August - 4th September - Focus 100% on UKCAT
5th - 23rd September - Focus 70% on Personal Statement
5th - 23rd September - Focus 30% on BMAT
24th September - 1st October - Focus 50% on BMAT, 50% on Personal Statement
1st October - 8th October - Focus 60% on BMAT, 40% on Personal Statement
8th October - 15th October - Focus 70% on BMAT, 30% on Personal Statement
16th October - 2nd November - Focus 100% on BMAT

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions :smile:

With Love,
Your Medic Mind
Reply 8
Original post by Mac117
Hi there!

I was debating whether to take the BMAT in September or November but, sadly, I am unable to travel to the UK in order to take it early - the sheer amount of schoolwork does not allow for it!

Overall I am rather confident with S1, been scoring high 6s so far. S2 is going well too, except for physics. Seems I forgot quite a lot since IGCSE!

S3 will be quite interesting as well, though I usually don't mind essays. Let's see how it goes :smile:

Sounds good to me! At least you have more time to prepare for it I guess :smile:

For Physics, is it just because you haven't looked over it for a while?
Reply 9
Original post by mygcserevision
You shouldnt do it now because youll drain resources and yourself out. focus on ukcat right now- you only need a month to revise for bmat so start early october or late september as thats the ideal time when everyone starts and youll be fine :smile:

Completely agree :smile: It's very easy to use up all the resources now, it's better to focus on one exam completely rather than do half half for both
Original post by Medic Mind
Sounds good to me! At least you have more time to prepare for it I guess :smile:

For Physics, is it just because you haven't looked over it for a while?

Yeah I was really keen on doing it in September (due to how S1 was going!), but considering they're doing it for the first time this year I'd rather just not be the "trial group" so to say :wink: Whilst a mental comfort of knowing my score before I apply would be nice, I think if I plan on applying to BMAT unis I should be able to trust myself in the first place anyway. But maybe it'll change (school deadlines, grrr...) and I'll do it in September? Who knows!

Yes, it's really just that. In IGCSE I got A*A* in double science, and physics was in fact my best one. After I went on to do IB I had to choose two sciences so obviously I chose biology and chemistry, leaving physics behind (not like I was sad or something anyway haha). It's a hassle to remember all these formulas again, but I guess it's all about practice!

Edit: Since UKCAT didn't go great for me and I might apply to 2/3 BMAT unis (most likely two, though) I started doing physics already so when September hits with school deadlines I'll just have to refresh my memory with my already-written notes (I love writing new ones for anything I study... and I also threw my igcse ones away whoops).
(edited 6 years ago)
Completely agree :smile: It's very easy to use up all the resources now, it's better to focus on one exam completely rather than do half half for both

For the bmat 1 to 1 mentoring scheme, what do you actually do during the 6 weeks specifically? How do you know whether we are on track?
Why is your mentoring scheme a better choice, rather than getting a tutor every week for 6 weeks?
Original post by Mac117
Yeah I was really keen on doing it in September (due to how S1 was going!), but considering they're doing it for the first time this year I'd rather just not be the "trial group" so to say :wink: Whilst a mental comfort of knowing my score before I apply would be nice, I think if I plan on applying to BMAT unis I should be able to trust myself in the first place anyway. But maybe it'll change (school deadlines, grrr...) and I'll do it in September? Who knows!

Yes, it's really just that. In IGCSE I got A*A* in double science, and physics was in fact my best one. After I went on to do IB I had to choose two sciences so obviously I chose biology and chemistry, leaving physics behind (not like I was sad or something anyway haha). It's a hassle to remember all these formulas again, but I guess it's all about practice!

That's great news, I think maybe just refreshing what you've done before - all the knowledge will be there just keep practicing, it will all come back!
That's great news, I think maybe just refreshing what you've done before - all the knowledge will be there just keep practicing, it will all come back!

Fingers crossed for that! Have rather high hopes for this to be fair!
For the bmat 1 to 1 mentoring scheme, what do you actually do during the 6 weeks specifically? How do you know whether we are on track?
Why is your mentoring scheme a better choice, rather than getting a tutor every week for 6 weeks?

Hey! So with our 1-1 Mentoring Scheme, you are tutored for a period of 7 hours and more with a BMAT expert, but we will be your mentors rather than just any old tutor. This means that along with the tutoring you receive with us, you will get:
- Full Support throughout your Application
- Weekly Progress Checks
- In-depth Comprehensive Progress Report tracking your progress
- Group to ask unlimited questions that you encounter e.g. past BMAT questions

If you prefer being taught on a weekly basis, we can also split up the 7 hours of tuition you receive over that 6-week period :smile:

I could perhaps speak to you on the phone about our package in a bit more detail, PM us for more information :smile: Would be happy to tell you about the scheme, and the success we have had with it in the past - especially with the UKCAT a lot of TSR members have benefitted from it.

With Love,
Your Medic Mind
Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 20.15.36.jpg
Attachment not found
Hi there, can someone tell me what the best way of revising is for the BMAT? Also I know it's GCSE level science that we require but is it a specific list of topics that we need to know? Is there some sort of list I can access somewhere? Thanks :smile:
Original post by sheenapatel123
Hi there, can someone tell me what the best way of revising is for the BMAT? Also I know it's GCSE level science that we require but is it a specific list of topics that we need to know? Is there some sort of list I can access somewhere? Thanks :smile:

Hi Sheena,

I'd have a read of this really useful specification:

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/47829-bmat-test-specification.pdf

I'll put it in the description above too, so others can find it

With Love,
Medic Mind
Hi Sheena,

I'd have a read of this really useful specification:

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/47829-bmat-test-specification.pdf

I'll put it in the description above too, so others can find it

With Love,
Medic Mind

Thank you for this, I'm really nervous :s-smilie:

With the essay at the end, is it a medical essay and is there a word limit?
Original post by sheenapatel123
Thank you for this, I'm really nervous :s-smilie:

With the essay at the end, is it a medical essay and is there a word limit?

You have a choice of: Topical Medical Issues, Medical Ethics, Medical Philosophy, Veterinary Medicine

There is no word limit as such but you are restricted to writing on one side of A4 only.

Hope that helps!

With Love,
Medic Mind
Section 1 Tips
How long will I have in this section?You have 60 minutes to complete 35 questions.

What are the different skills tested?

Problem Solving

Number of Questions - 13

Skills required:

Applying relevant algebraic operations.

Applying relevant numerical operations.

Being able to deduce what information is relevant.

Understanding Argument

Number of Questions - 10

Skills required:

Being able to draw conclusions

Spotting deficiencies in arguments

Understand the logic behind an argument

Be able to identify the use of assumptions in conclusions

Data Analysis and Inference

Number of Questions - 12

Skills required:

Data interpretation

Being able to reach appropriate conclusions from graphical, statistical and verbal information.

Determining the correct skills required to interpret information.

Using scientific inference skills to reach correct and appropriate conclusions.

Latest