The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AspiringSword
Medic Mind doubt BMAT.png

Hi @Medic Mind ! I have a doubt from one of your tutorials in the online course. This example was in lesson 17 of the course (Date and Time questions). Now I do not know if there is an error in the question/answer, or if my logic is completely flawed :/ sorry; but why is March and July the only assumed months that are 4 months apart (for Max and Julie's birthday)? Isn't January and May also a possible option>> If Jan and May are taken into consideration...then the second half would be May and June for Mark and Jennifer's birthday, resulting in Mark and Max being born on the same day - which is a possibility too since the question does not state that they belong to DIFFERENT months only. So won't the answer be D. 4 also in that case? (Where Julie is in Jan and Mark is in May).

Sorry for the long message but I think I'm overthinking it..my logic might be flawed so no haters pls :smile: XD!

Hi @AspiringSword,
These questions are modelled on official BMAT past papers, and I completely agree from where you are coming from. Perhaps 4 should not be included as it may be confusing for some, however you should assume unless otherwise stated explicitly in the question that their birthdays are on different months. However, thank you for pointing this out - will make an adjustment on the question :smile:

P.S. You can now comment on each lesson on the portal so if you have anything that needs to be cleared up, feel free to ask on there :smile:
Original post by DvsAmjed
i hope so I haven't even started revising the science yet

You have enough time, but you need to be efficient!

Try and watch some of our free YouTube tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/medicmind

We have also compiled Section 2 papers by topic, which you can find here: http://www.medicmind.co.uk/bmat-paper-bank.html

We explain each science topic as well as S1 and S3 in detail on our affordable online portal for £30 :smile:

http://www.medicmind.co.uk/bmat-online-course.html
Original post by Alamaniya
Don't worry, they aren't. I haven't seen questions about rate expressions in past BMAT papers and it's not in the specification. I don't think there will be anything that's not in the specification. They do ask about small details though.

Not on the specification. Don't worry :smile: I would revise the frequently appearing topics as per our free paper bank

http://www.medicmind.co.uk/bmat-paper-bank.html
Original post by Attempt2
Hi @MedicMind Your online Q database has some errors- some of the question packs wont open up, like "heart and circulation" in biology and "probability" in maths just comes up as the answers

Please fix this! thanks :smile:

Sorry about this, we were having technical problems but these have been fixed now :smile:
Original post by bobwibbles
Man.. bmat is hard
2012 section1 4.2 2012 section 2 3.2
really bad scores...

Don't worry!

Here are some of my tips:

I would recommend getting the science content done first because it tends to be memory based, so its good to look at it early and then revise again in your own time.Use the BMAT Specification to guide you on exactly what you need to know. On the Official BMAT Website there is a free revision guide which tells you exactly what you need to know. It is a form of a CGP book so its quite simple to read and understand.

For Section 1, go through the tutorials and practice. It is again useful to do the Section 1 papers. Additionally, you can use TSA papers if you run out of materials.

For Section 3, you need to do many essay plans, and I would say write up 2-3 essays per week. It takes 15 minutes to write the essay after planning, and it is important to get into the habit of converting your plan into a concise A4 essay. Remember, the challenge is not only making good points, but also writing it in a concise way because you only have very limited space to write on.

Additionally, you need to read up on the news because in your essay you will have to give many case studies - for example, I read BBC Health on the BBC website each day. The articles on BBC are very user friendly and give you many ideas for essays.

Overall, you have to work first on what you find more difficult. If you have half term now, I would advise that you go through our whole course first, and then just do paper after paper. It is better to learn theory early and then just jam pack in papers, rather than do theory late on and learn new things too close to the exam.
Original post by DvsAmjed
Guys how much revision a day should I be aiming for over the half term for the bmat per day??I am applying to two bmat unis and aiming for high 5s in S1 and 2 or higher. To be honest I haven't really started properly revising but I have done a few practice questions and familiarised myself with the format. I have done physics so the s2 isn't too rusty for me but I haven't written essays in a long time. Will a week of 4-5 hours a day be enough to get a good scores on the bmat?

Thanks

Of course, it should be enough. Perhaps divide your time into the topics you find most difficult. Planning your revision will make sure you target all the things you are struggling with!

Try our online portal too! It has over 100 tutorials and e-books for each section (£30)

http://www.medicmind.co.uk/bmat-online-course.html
genetics.jpg Can someone please explain this to me? I figured the diseased genes must be recessive or else 1 or 2 would have it. So surely then 1 and 2 must have both passed on the diseased gene to their affected child meaning 1 and 2 should be heterozygous? Very confused
Original post by melodylucia
genetics.jpg Can someone please explain this to me? I figured the diseased genes must be recessive or else 1 or 2 would have it. So surely then 1 and 2 must have both passed on the diseased gene to their affected child meaning 1 and 2 should be heterozygous? Very confused

Hey, is the answer D/E by any chance?

Edit: Could be either, but I will draw a diagram/explain my logic.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mac117
Hey, is the answer D/E by any chance?

Edit: Could be either, but I will draw a diagram/explain my logic.

The answer is D yeah but I do not get why. Can you explain how 1 and 2 don't have to be heterozygous as well?
The answer is D yeah but I do not get why. Can you explain how 1 and 2 don't have to be heterozygous as well?

Right, I drew it and came to the conclusion it has to be D.

Here's my train of thought as written down on paper. Really hope it helps, please tell me if you can't read something or don't understand it. My handwriting is atrocious.

EDIT: The first square refers to the individual next to 5, and the second square refers to the individual next to 7!
(edited 6 years ago)

The answer is D because this is the only combination that works. Yes you are right, 1 and 2 are heterozygous but there is no option for this.

A- 1 is heterozygous since a child is affected and both parents are not. 5 however could be homozygous dominant (2 dominant alleles).
B- 2 is heterozygous for the same reason as 1. 6 however could be homozygous dominant as no children are affected by the disease.
C- 3 must be heterozygous since neither parent displays the disease but a child is affected. But 7 could be homozygous dominant.
E- Somebody mentioned that this could be an answer but that is WRONG. 5 could be homozygous dominant as both parents are heterozygous. 9 is heterozygous though since one of the parent is affected (so has 2 recessive alleles).

D is correct because we know 4 is heterozygous (for a child to be affected) and 8 must be too since on of the parent's is homozygous recessive.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 291
Untitled.png

someone mind explaining this to me please?

Spoiler

Original post by SiMan
Untitled.png

Spoiler

If you look at the image given imagine only 3 complete patterns were there. What shapes would you need to add to add another complete pattern.
Original post by surina16
q1.JPG
Please can somebody help with this question? I have no idea how to get to the answer! :redface:

Answer:

Spoiler

if the block of flats 7m high is blocked by a 1.6m shrub, a 20 meter tall block of flats (approx 3 times as high) will be blocked by a shrub 1.6 x 3 = 4.8 m high

so the hornbeam would be best as it just covers the flats without being overly tall
Original post by SiMan
Untitled.png

Spoiler

You have to look for the figures that are repeating.You only need the ratio of 1 hexagon, 2 triangles and 3 squares to do the pattern. It took me a little too long to do this one because I didn't read the question properly. It says that there are 3 tiles, so it is not a hexagon with squared and triangles wrapped around it, as the image makes you believe. If you consider the that they're overlapping, it will make more sense.
Original post by djdubzzy
if the block of flats 7m high is blocked by a 1.6m shrub, a 20 meter tall block of flats (approx 3 times as high) will be blocked by a shrub 1.6 x 3 = 4.8 m high

so the hornbeam would be best as it just covers the flats without being overly tall

Ah it seems so simple now that you've explained it! I was doing all these weird calculations using the 30m distance as well :colondollar:

Thank you so much! :h:
Hey everyone,

I sat the BMAT last year and got an interview from the 2 BMAT universities I applied to.
I've written a post with my top tips for preparing for the BMAT. I thought some of you guys might find it useful to have a read of it here:
masumahjannah.wordpress.com/6-bmat-preparation-tips-to-score-highly
I like how my scores can vary from 24/27 in the 2016 paper to 15/27 in the 2005 paper... :s-smilie: I will just assume the newer papers are more accurate because otherwise I'm screwed.
Original post by Medic Mind
Hi @AspiringSword,
These questions are modelled on official BMAT past papers, and I completely agree from where you are coming from. Perhaps 4 should not be included as it may be confusing for some, however you should assume unless otherwise stated explicitly in the question that their birthdays are on different months. However, thank you for pointing this out - will make an adjustment on the question :smile:

P.S. You can now comment on each lesson on the portal so if you have anything that needs to be cleared up, feel free to ask on there :smile:

Thank you for the reply!! :smile: I will do so through the portal from next time onwards!
@MedicMind Can you please mark my essay?

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections - a mere heart of stone.
Explain what this statement means. Argue that scientific enquiry benefits from personal wishes and affections. To what extent do you think a scientist should have a 'mere heart of stone'?

Facts, objectivity and reliability are key feature of science. In terms of scientific research, this statement might mean that for effective findings to be sought, a scientist's opinion should be disregarded. This is because both demand characteristics and social desirability can result in bias, thus affecting the reliability and validity of findings.

However, scientific enquiry benefits from personal wishes and affections. For example, in the medical field, patients may be suffering from anxiety and stress due to their awareness of their condition. In this case, a doctor must be able to empathise and sympathise with the patient. Understanding the patient's emotions and providing comfort can easily improve the patient's well-being. The importance is also highlighted in hospices where palliative care provides emotional support for patients with terminal illnesses as well as support for the family members of the patient.

In terms of scientific research, ethical guidelines are usually involved, especially in socially sensitive research. If a scientist were to have no affection, this could impose both physical and psychological harm to subjects. It is unfair to experiment on participants without their informed consent, no matter how important the research may be, as all individuals have their own rights. Similarly, Dolly the Sheep has contributed to the advances in science in terms of cloning, but what about the harm caused to Dolly? Surely, animals have rights too?

I believe that scientists should not have a 'mere heart of stone' as research often brings ethical and moral guidelines into consideration. For the rights of humans and animals to be respected, a scientific person must have emotions in order to understand the potential harm that could be caused.

Latest

Trending

Trending