The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeay! i just finished too!

And i too agree that the book seemed to b written differently, but i couldn;t put my finger on what it was. (btw did anyone notice how many times people were saying 'oho', it seemed to be all the time or was that just me?)

As for the initials the first name that i thought of was regulas too, but i don't think we're told his middle name anywhere to confirm if its an A or not...

And then there's the whole death thing,...i agree that it felt slightly rushed(infact i thought the whole book ended slightly abrubtly) but, and this will make me sond bad lol, i was more upset that it was snape who killed him than the fact that he died. Because i like snape, and i actually quite like malfoy too (yes i know, how?) so them being the baddies i didn't really like, but i have a feeling that they are actually good as there was the whole malfoy and myrtle thing where malfoy seemed upset about having to do it, and snape had to do it due to the vow but then again i could just be wishful thinking....

Hmmm...i'm sure there were more things i wanted to point out

oh and i like the tonks lupin thing too! so sweet! (but yes i think there was a little too much 'couply' stuff in the book but it looked at the end like ron and hermione might finally....yeay!)
Clodagh
I reckon a Horcrux is Harry's scar! and that he'd have to kill himself to do off Voldemort. Harry's got a bit of V in him - maybe this is why? :s-smilie:

Sounds like a plan...... But for JKR, that would be way to obvious. But you've got me thinking all of a sudden...

And Snape will end up being good perhaps. The big question is not whether Harry does the right thing - it is inevitable that there will be a showdown with the Big V; which, incidentally, I reckon this is going to be a battle in the Hogwarts Ground near Dumbledore's tomb - but whether or not Snape does the right (morally correct) thing. Is Snape who he seems to be (Death Eater Deluxe?) or a true friend of Harry's?
Reply 11982
Or perhhaps by Harry's parent's grave! Maybe Snape was forced to kill DD becuase Draco couldn't do it; thus the Unbreakable Vow made him do it.
Reply 11983
I just can't work out if Snake's apparent betrayal is a red herring or whether JKR wants us to realise that even the seemingly omniscient Dumbledore could get things *that* wrong, and ya just can't trust anyone really.

I thought Horace Slughorn was kind of a sucky character - just didn't seem to much point to him and his special club and parties.

The insights into Voldemort's past and the couples' stuff was all good though :biggrin: Lupin and Tonks - awww
yo-less
who cried like a baby when he died?

i'm still sniffling...geez,how could JKR do that?? :frown:

just finished...and I'm sobbing.

I'm never reading harry potter again!

screw jk rowling!

I didnt cry over siruis...but dumbledore was my favorite.

no smilie seems appropriate.
Stupid double post.
Reply 11986
Dumbledore asked for Snape at first and then called him pleadingly so maybe (I don't believe it for a second though) Dumbledore wanted Snape to kill him as was suggested in a spoiler I thought was wrong in a different thread but turned out to be horribly right!
Pepaim
Dumbledore asked for Snape at first and then called him pleadingly so maybe (I don't believe it for a second though) Dumbledore wanted Snape to kill him as was suggested in a spoiler I thought was wrong in a different thread but turned out to be horribly right!

Yeah i think maybe dumbledore wanted snape to kill him so that malfoy didnt have to, so that draco didnt have to go through that. Harry heard snape tell malfoy about the unbreakable vow and then harry told dumbledore about it so i bet dumbledore guessed what it was about and knew what had to happen.
Reply 11988
NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Not dumbeldore!!!!!!!! he can't dieeeeeee ! Im still reading it! but I never thought she'd kill himm !!! NOOOOOOOOOO !
Ventricles
Yeah i think maybe dumbledore wanted snape to kill him so that malfoy didnt have to, so that draco didnt have to go through that. Harry heard snape tell malfoy about the unbreakable vow and then harry told dumbledore about it so i bet dumbledore guessed what it was about and knew what had to happen.

Hmmm. Good theory. We need to wait and see though.

I now have to find something other than Harry Potter to focus on over the next 2/3 years. I know! The next Harry Potter Film! Actually, no. Change of topic for me. :smile:
On a side note, was anyone else not too keen on the garish-ness of the cover?
are there any differences in content between the adult version and the childrens version? like language and stuff or is it just the cover that is different?
No. Just the cover.
I don't want to believe that Snape is truly that evil...it's just not the vibe I get off him. Cruel, yes. Malicious, yes. Evil? Not really.

I also didn't like Slugworth much, and at first, he really reminded me of Gilderoy Lockhart. It was interesting to see that the DADA position really is jinxed (or that's how it seems). And there'll be another new teacher next book, as Snape's off. I'm wondering if Hogwarts really will close...what will all the kids do?
absentmindedone
I'm wondering if Hogwarts really will close...what will all the kids do?

perhaps they'll be farmed out to other schools like Durmstrang?
Reply 11995
I absolutely hated the ending. And yeah, I cried. The death, and...it was so much worse because of who did it. I'd always liked and trusted him. I wasn't expecting the Half-Blood Prince either, but I guess it makes sense in retrospect. As much as I wish it weren't true.
Acaila
I felt a bit iffy I guess, more later on than at the actual death bit. JKR handles the deaths in her books far too quickly and lightly imo. Especially in OOTP, I didn't quite believe it had happened because it was handled so lightly, and I felt that again in this one.

Sometimes deaths are better if they are short, especially this one. I mean, if he had came in and gloated over hm, or made a monologue, the entire feel for the scene would have been lost. I think JK did the right thing, the hole air of the murder was so hone that it didn't give you enough time to quite believe what had happened, even after reading about his exploits earlier.
its deliberately short with little dialogue so its ambiguous about whether Snape is good, bad or fits into neither category
Reply 11998
My only real problem with it is (as I think with all the books) is that the ending is a bit too rushed. Although all my beliefs about Snape being some sort of 'noble' guy at heart at least seem to have been trashed.
My friend and I have a whole snape is good really theory and he had no choice.

And I've never loved snape but I'm actually starting to think that he could be more noble and less of a **** than I once thought.

Latest

Trending

Trending