The Student Room Group

Oxford Chemistry Applicants 2018

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oxford chemist here - happy to answer any questions.
Hi, I know with my stats getting in would be tricky but I am from a really bad state school so hopefully that works in my favour.

What subjects are you taking at A-Level? Maths, further maths, chemistry
What are your GCSE grades? 7A*'s, 3A's, 1B (spanish)
What are your AS grades or your predicted grades? 3A's - Maths and further maths ums averaging 90. Predicted 2A*'s, 1A
Why did you choose Chemistry at Oxford over NatSci at Cambridge? I prefer a larger focus on chemistry which at Cambridge is heavily diluted with other courses on the natsci.
Have you done any Chemistry/Maths extracurricular to further improve your application?
Was asked to complete a series of under grad practicals at one of the best independent schools in the country for free. Watched MIT course on chemistry on YouTube. Read a book.
What other Universities are you thinking of applying to? Imperial, Warwick, UCL, St.Andrews
Have you chosen which College you'd like to apply for? Worcester... Why.... ITS GOT A LAKE... What more does a guy want :smile:
Reply 3
Glad there is finally a chemistry thread. What have you guys been doing for extra reading about chemistry?

GCSEs- 9A*, 1A, 1B
AS- Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology AAAA, Average 97 UMS in Maths and FM
A Level- Carrying on with all 4
Predicted A*A*A*A*
Course- Chemistry
College- New College (Looks really nice)
Extra Curricular- Cricket team, running, science club and head academic school prefect
Why Oxford?- Oxford offers pure chemistry!
(edited 6 years ago)
What subjects are you taking at A-Level?: CHemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths

What are your GCSE grades? 6A* 5A 1B (English lang)

What are your AS grades or your predicted grades? Only maths/fm As -> A 90UMS possible due to unfortunate circumstances.

Why did you choose Chemistry at Oxford over NatSci at Cambridge? I am a god damn chemist, not a natural scientist

Have you done any Chemistry/Maths extracurricular to further improve your application? Headstart course, a teaching assistant at the school, 2 weeks of work experience 1 at the hospital lab, one in a factory in China.

What other Universities are you thinking of applying to? Warwick and Bristol
Have you chosen which College you'd like to apply for? Probably Keble looking at Baliol/Brasenose

Is there an equivalent SAQ for oxford where I can detail any extenuating circumstances regarding my exams?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Matthew Doll
What subjects are you taking at A-Level?: CHemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths

What are your GCSE grades? 6A* 5A 1B (English lang)

What are your AS grades or your predicted grades? Only maths/fm As -> A 90UMS possible due to unfortunate circumstances.

Why did you choose Chemistry at Oxford over NatSci at Cambridge? I am a god damn chemist, not a natural scientist

Have you done any Chemistry/Maths extracurricular to further improve your application? Headstart course, a teaching assistant at the school, 2 weeks of work experience 1 at the hospital lab, one in a factory in China.

What other Universities are you thinking of applying to? Warwick and Bristol
Have you chosen which College you'd like to apply for? Probably Keble looking at Baliol/Brasenose

Is there an equivalent SAQ for oxford where I can detail any extenuating circumstances regarding my exams?

No there isn't, you could probably ask your teacher to put it down in your UCAS reference though.
Original post by tippypro
Glad there is finally a chemistry thread. What have you guys been doing for extra reading about chemistry?

I have read a mixture of non-fiction on the history of chemistry and a biography of a famous chemist, I also have read up a little on the first year course like molecular orbitals and more advanced organic chemistry
Reply 7
[QUOTE="Doll;73610320" Matthew="Matthew"]

I have read a mixture of non-fiction on the history of chemistry and a biography of a famous chemist, I also have read up a little on the first year course like molecular orbitals and more advanced organic chemistry

Yeh I've done basically the same stuff.
I'm applying for chemistry this year too
Reply 9
Original post by purpledonkey
I'm applying for chemistry this year too

What college?
What subjects are you taking at A-Level?
Chemistry, Economics, Maths & Physics
What are your GCSE grades?
6 A*s, 4 A's and C in art, oh well
What are your AS grades or your predicted grades?
A in Maths AS and predicted grades A*A*AA
Why did you choose Chemistry at Oxford over NatSci at Cambridge?
Went on the UNIQ summer school and just decided I wanted to do chemistry rather than chemical engineering
Have you done any Chemistry/Maths extracurricular to further improve your application?
Yeah a lot of reading up on first year stuff like molecular orbital theory, hybridisation. Cambridge chemistry challenge - silver and EPQ on thermodynamics and climate change
What other Universities are you thinking of applying to?
Bristol, Imperial, Warwick and York
Have you chosen which College you'd like to apply for?
Kind of stuck between a few (New, Brasenose, Worcester, Magdalen and John's) going to the open day next Friday and hope to decide then but I'd appreciate if anyone has any advice:smile:
What subjects are you taking at A-Level?
Chemistry, Physics, Maths & Further Maths
What are your GCSE grades?
11 A*S and A for Add. Maths
What are your AS grades or your predicted grades?
Maths modules for this year - 98 UMS
Predicted 4 A* for A2 - already have A* for Extended project
Why did you choose Chemistry at Oxford over NatSci at Cambridge?
Pure chemistry
A good deal. Golds for all Olympiads and Gold for Cambridge Chemistry Challenge
What other Universities are you thinking of applying to?
Imperial, York and UCL
Not sure as yet

Kind of stuck between a few (New, Brasenose, Worcester, Magdalen and John's) going to the open day next Friday and hope to decide then but I'd appreciate if anyone has any advice:smile:

Just my two cents but:

I think any of those would be a good choice. I know people at some of those colleges - I'd say John's/New chemists are worked pretty hard compared to other colleges. All look like they have at least a couple of decent tutors! I'd also say Magdalen/Worcester/New are a little more physical chemistry orientated in terms of the tutors assigned to them. If you feel more inclined towards the more mathematical areas of Chemistry, they are probably extremely good choices. S Mackenzie, C Timmel and G Ritchie are all great lecturers and I've heard/know they are fantastic phys chem tutors. Having said that, you can definitely go into any area of chemistry you want at any college.

Brasenose is a smaller college, very central. Personally I find New and Magdalen absolutely beautiful - they are very castle-like and grand. Worcester has really pretty gardens in my opinion. Aesthetics are a personal preference however and you should check them all out at the open day. New and St Johns are the closest to the chemistry department out of those colleges, but others not that much further away.
Original post by periodicity

Just my two cents but:

I think any of those would be a good choice. I know people at some of those colleges - I'd say John's/New chemists are worked pretty hard compared to other colleges. All look like they have at least a couple of decent tutors! I'd also say Magdalen/Worcester/New are a little more physical chemistry orientated in terms of the tutors assigned to them. If you feel more inclined towards the more mathematical areas of Chemistry, they are probably extremely good choices. S Mackenzie, C Timmel and G Ritchie are all great lecturers and I've heard/know they are fantastic phys chem tutors. Having said that, you can definitely go into any area of chemistry you want at any college.

Brasenose is a smaller college, very central. Personally I find New and Magdalen absolutely beautiful - they are very castle-like and grand. Worcester has really pretty gardens in my opinion. Aesthetics are a personal preference however and you should check them all out at the open day. New and St Johns are the closest to the chemistry department out of those colleges, but others not that much further away.

Thank you so much for all your advice!
What college?

Not really sure, but I'm looking at Brasenose, St John's and Univ at the moment. You?
Not really sure, but I'm looking at Brasenose, St John's and Univ at the moment. You?

Ah nice, I've heard brasenose is really good for chemistry.
Original post by Lemuelc14
Thank you so much for all your advice!

I would echo what has been said, I'm a Worcester chemist going into 4th year.

The majority of Worcester chemists in recent years go on to physical chemistry fourth year projects. All our tutors are great. Grant Ritchie, is an absolutely first class physical tutor and a really nice guy (he is often found in the Worcester bar and if he sees you there he will usually buy you a drink). Martin Galpin is the first year maths tutor everyone wants, he lectures most of the maths course and is the main man behind its current structure and content, also he is almost invariably the examiner for the first year maths exam!

Our tutors in Organic and Inorganic are less well known by students outside of college because they don't lecture (at Oxford).

Ann Chippindale researches at Reading, but is in Oxford each week to tutor and Rachel Quarrell teaches quite a number of colleges across the university and is also the Dean at Balliol. They are both really good tutors and are friendly and helpful.

Having said all that, the tutors at the other colleges you mention are largely very good (from what I've seen in lectures). Particularly Mackenzie, McGrady, Timmel and Donohoe .
Ah nice, I've heard brasenose is really good for chemistry.

What in particular makes it so good? :smile:
What in particular makes it so good? :smile:

Good tutors is probably the main thing. Also a big student intake for chemistry.
Good tutors is probably the main thing. Also a big student intake for chemistry.

Hmm I believe Brasenose only takes five chemists? Which is pretty small by Oxford standards!

However, Robertson and Wilson are meant to be good tutors; they seem pretty relaxed and funny in lectures.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending