The Student Room Group

Oxford Chemistry with 2 STEM A levels?

(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by ecovan1
I take chemistry, maths and french (predicted 3A*’s with 10 9’s and 2 8’s at GCSE for context). Will taking 2 STEM A levels without an EPQ disadvantage me compared to a person with the same a level predicted, gcses and jnterview scores, as the website recommends you take a 3rd STEM subject?

Well, I guess it depends on what your third A level is.

On an open day last year to see the chemistry department at Oxford, I actually spoke to a number of students there who had taken something like English language as a third A level.

Since you have an excellent set of GCSE grades and A level predictions, provided your UCAS application is good, you will almost certainly get an interview (Oxford interviews most of their chemistry applicants, I think usually about 90% of them). After which point, your interview performance will decide whether you get a place or not. Someone else with the same grade profile and a third STEM subject could blunder their way through the interviews and end up rejected all too easily.
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
Well, I guess it depends on what your third A level is.

On an open day last year to see the chemistry department at Oxford, I actually spoke to a number of students there who had taken something like English language as a third A level.

Since you have an excellent set of GCSE grades and A level predictions, provided your UCAS application is good, you will almost certainly get an interview (Oxford interviews most of their chemistry applicants, I think usually about 90% of them). After which point, your interview performance will decide whether you get a place or not. Someone else with the same grade profile and a third STEM subject could blunder their way through the interviews and end up rejected all too easily.

My last one is french… I’m not sure how that bodes
Original post by ecovan1
My last one is french… I’m not sure how that bodes

I don’t think that will be a big problem. You should have more practice with essay writing, thanks to it, which should help.
I did the same A levels as you (maths, french and chemistry) and I was interviewed at Oxford for chemistry so no it won’t put you at a disadvantage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending