The Student Room Group

Please could you tell me if my grades are good enough to go to a good medical school

Hello everyone,
I think my GCSE's are not as good as the average medical student. Please could you look at my grades and tell me if my grades are good for medical schools like Cambridge and Exeter

Mathematics Numeracy - A
Maths - A*
Core Science - A
RE - A*
ICT - A*
Additional Science - B
English Literature - A
WBQ - A
French - C
English Language - C
Welsh - A
History - A
Reply 1
ouis . uag
Original post by BarvKing
Hello everyone,
I think my GCSE's are not as good as the average medical student. Please could you look at my grades and tell me if my grades are good for medical schools like Cambridge and Exeter

Mathematics Numeracy - A
Maths - A*
Core Science - A
RE - A*
ICT - A*
Additional Science - B
English Literature - A
WBQ - A
French - C
English Language - C
Welsh - A
History - A

Your C for GCSE English language will restrict the unis which you can apply to.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/1177/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools-2018.pdf : You will find this a useful guide for more information.
Reply 2
Well done on your results! Medicine courses are usually very competitive, but only a fraction of unis care about your GCSEs - and an even smaller fraction will actually have a lower limit. Those that do look at them will look at your application as a whole, with a much larger emphasis on your AS Level results and predicted grades.

If you want to check, go to the uni websites and find the course pages, where they'll list the course requirements. I know Cambridge applicants typically have 4-5 A* grades and the rest As, so you aren't too far off - if you ace your A Levels, I doubt these results will get a second look.
Hello everyone,

Mathematics Numeracy - A
Maths - A*
Core Science - A
RE - A*
ICT - A*
Additional Science - B
English Literature - A
WBQ - A
French - C
English Language - C
Welsh - A
History - A

Your GCSEs are fine honestly, I'm going to UCL and even they only require Bs and Cs minimum at GCSE I think :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ed5
Well done on your results! Medicine courses are usually very competitive, but only a fraction of unis care about your GCSEs - and an even smaller fraction will actually have a lower limit. Those that do look at them will look at your application as a whole, with a much larger emphasis on your AS Level results and predicted grades.

If you want to check, go to the uni websites and find the course pages, where they'll list the course requirements. I know Cambridge applicants typically have 4-5 A* grades and the rest As, so you aren't too far off - if you ace your A Levels, I doubt these results will get a second look.

Thank you for your reply :smile:
I will try to do great on my A Level and learn from my mistakes and hopefully do great
Reply 5
Original post by cutiekitten2
Your GCSEs are fine honestly, I'm going to UCL and even they only require Bs and Cs minimum at GCSE I think :smile:

I checked UCL and they require a B for English Language but thank you for your reply :smile: It made me quite happy to see that good universities still accept Bs and Ca
Reply 6
Hello everyone,

Mathematics Numeracy - A
Maths - A*
Core Science - A
RE - A*
ICT - A*
Additional Science - B
English Literature - A
WBQ - A
French - C
English Language - C
Welsh - A
History - A

Well done, on achieving those GCSE grades. They're pretty amazing. Although i would totally advise you to resit your English and try to get it to a grade B. Seeing as most Med schools ask for a grade B in English as a minimum. So if you're targeting the top med schools ( Russell groups + Oxbridge), they'd all most likely be asking for a grade B in English as a minimum.
Reply 7
Original post by Dann.It
Well done, on achieving those GCSE grades. They're pretty amazing. Although i would totally advise you to resit your English and try to get it to a grade B. Seeing as most Med schools ask for a grade B in English as a minimum. So if you're targeting the top med schools ( Russell groups + Oxbridge), they'd all most likely be asking for a grade B in English as a minimum.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking to resit English as most med schools ask for a B

Quick Reply

Latest