The Student Room Group

Are my gcse grades good enough?

I'm wondering how my gcse grades will affect my uni prospects for specific subjects. I got 11 A*s and 2As, but one of the As was in English Language. To what extent would unis overlook the A if I were to study a heavily essay based course?
Original post by matrixender
I'm wondering how my gcse grades will affect my uni prospects for specific subjects. I got 11 A*s and 2As, but one of the As was in English Language. To what extent would unis overlook the A if I were to study a heavily essay based course?

Won't affect you at all.

A good set of A-Levels is more important. Your GCSE grades are fine.

Oh no... not an A in English Language, whatever shall you do?

Jesus Christ... you cannot be serious, can you?
To what extent would unis overlook the A if I were to study a heavily essay based course?

they wouldn't care
Reply 4

Assuming this is not a joke, you have made a thread that is so similar to a joke thread that it is hard to give serious replies :smile:

Luckily a few users have kept their heads and given you the fact that there's absolutely nothing to worry about.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Notnek
Assuming this is not a joke, you have made a thread that is so similar to a joke thread that it is hard to give serious replies :smile:

I'm very sorry that this seems like a troll thread but I assure you it isn't, I go to a highly competitive school where most people got the A* in English, and mostly I'm questioning whether if I couldn't achieve the A* with fantastic teaching and support I can get it at A level... Anyway, thank you for the replies! Kudos for not dismissing me :3
Are you serious. Are you serious. Please tell me you're not serious.
I'm sorry. All universities in the UK require two A*s in both English subjects at GCSE in order to study a heavily essay-based course. However, I have been reliably informed an A and A* combination is enough to guarantee a place in your nearby McDonald's. 😜
Original post by Notnek

Luckily a few users have kept their heads and given you the fact that there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

RC is going to have a field day with this thread...
Reply 9
Original post by Blue_Cow
RC is going to have a field day with this thread...

Just looked through this user's profile. Should I take down this post or what? :p:p
Anyway, thanks guys, you've really brought my mood up, in reality I'm just a bit crazy up in my head. Still need to stay off social media though, "I got all 21A*s sooo proud!!!!"
Reply 10
Just looked through this user's profile. Should I take down this post or what? :p:p
Anyway, thanks guys, you've really brought my mood up, in reality I'm just a bit crazy up in my head. Still need to stay off social media though, "I got all 21A*s sooo proud!!!!"

I think it's a good idea to keep this thread and laugh when you see the replies. A lot of people in your position might get offended after seeing joke replies but if you can appreciate why your question is funny then that's +1 for you character IMO :smile:
Yes, this question is a bit silly. Of course it doesn't matter. Your GCSE results are absolutely stellar ! 👍🎉
Well obviously 11A*s and 2 As are good enough
Original post by Notnek
I think it's a good idea to keep this thread and laugh when you see the replies. A lot of people in your position might get offended after seeing joke replies but if you can appreciate why your question is funny then that's +1 for you character IMO :smile:

I agree.

Rarely, I"m going to assume good faith here rather than rip it to shreds.

@matrixender if this is really is genuine, then maybe it's a good juncture to re-evaulate how you've got to this place, where you genuinely think a single A grade might be any sort of an issue. You're clearly receiving very poor advice from your school, and the normal checks and balances you'd expect to receive from family and friends seem to be absent too. To most people, your question is unrealistic, smacks of a humble brag and is basically a bit silly. But to you, it's a reasonable question to ask. You need to ask yourself why this is the case, and how skewed your thinking has become.

Fundamentally, it's just not healthy to have this mindset.
(edited 6 years ago)
~such good grades yet such a stupid question~
Universities only care about a levels..

You got 11 A* and 2As oh my goodness there is no way you are gonna get anywhere In life. That's the end for you. No point in trying
Oh **** dude you are ****ed! That one A is going to ruin your whole life now, you better start your work experience as a roadman now...
Reply 17
This is one of the most entertaining threads I've seen in my life.

Dude, I would kill to have results as good as yours; and I've still got my sights on a top ten university for what I want to do. I honestly don't know why you are worried in the slightest
I love how everyone falls for the bait and replies.
Every damn time.

Quick Reply

Latest