The Student Room Group

Personal Statement - Told to link subjects to the course?

My teacher says that I need to write a paragraph linking my A Levels to Biomedical Science to demonstrate my passion for it, but is it not a waste of characters because everyone who applies will do at least 2 of my three sciences anyway? It doesn't really seem personal and it's literally half of my statement. I'm looking at Oxford too, so he says it needs to be almost completely academic.
Original post by imnotcatherine
My teacher says that I need to write a paragraph linking my A Levels to Biomedical Science to demonstrate my passion for it, but is it not a waste of characters because everyone who applies will do at least 2 of my three sciences anyway? It doesn't really seem personal and it's literally half of my statement. I'm looking at Oxford too, so he says it needs to be almost completely academic.

Hi there!
Teachers are normally very helpful when it comes to personal statements. Linking your A levels to the course shows that you chose your A levels specifically for your career choice. So maybe it will be a good idea to include the paragraph, but do whatever you feel will be the best for you.
Good luck :smile:

Moved to PS advice :smile:

Please do not waste space linking you A levels to your course. You're right that everyone doing the same A levels will have done the same thing and admissions officers know that. Use the space to talk about other things you have done to develop your interests in the subject.

Your teacher is talking semi crap. Your PS should be almost completely academic - but that doesn't mean talking about your A levels it means talking about the topics within biomed that interest you and the activities and reading you've done outside your A levels on those topics.

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/teachers-and-academics-disagree-over-what-makes-a-good-ucas-personal
I used my my A Level subjects as the frame of my PS and it worked out well for me. But skip any irrelevant subjects. I applied for economics so I missed out chemistry but I did mention my economics, maths and further maths a levels. Though I read my reference (only after I had sent out my application) and saw my referee had even mentioned chemistry.

I would write it like introducing a concept that we look at in A level that I find interesting, then discussing the further reading/research/work I have done in that topic.

Got accepted by all my choices many which put a high weighting on the PS.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Your teacher has one thing right and one thing wrong.

If you're applying to Oxford your statement should be almost completely academic. Extra-curricular activities and the like are of no significance except insofar as they show your interest in the subject.

But definitely don't link your A-level subjects to the course. That will be either boring and obvious (no one wants to read about how biology is related to Biomedical Science) or tenuous and borderline absurd (e.g. if your third A-level was English).

Write about why you're interested in the course, what specifically you're interested in and why, what you've read or seen or done that you've found particularly inspiring or thought-provoking and why, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending