The Student Room Group

what are you meant to talk about on a personal statement?

hi im in year 13 looking to take econ in uni. ive written basically all of it and ive got a fair amount of stuff to talk about, 2 books and 2 courses but im not sure if ive been writing about them the right way. so far i have basically been explaining what ive learnt about them and its kinda worrying me right now
Original post by XXSlayerXX
hi im in year 13 looking to take econ in uni. ive written basically all of it and ive got a fair amount of stuff to talk about, 2 books and 2 courses but im not sure if ive been writing about them the right way. so far i have basically been explaining what ive learnt about them and its kinda worrying me right now

Reflect on those books.
Use an example of what you learnt, explain how that increased your passion, link that knowledge to the ‘wider world’. Its not about the many examples of things that you learnt, but your reflection on that experience.

Talk about the moment you became interested in economics, your favourite modules / areas of economics, what you've done to develop your knowledge on the subject, what you plan on doing with your degree / career plans, extracurriculars that link to skills needed in the course etc.

The biggest piece of advice is talk more about less. Don't list things you've done, really develop a couple things you've done and talk about their impact.
Just remember its a personal statement. As the other 2 post said, it really should be about yourself and dont just try list or describe things youve done and learnt. Admissions want to know who you are as a person summarised into 4000 characters, not what a book has said or what a course is teaching. Try link everything to yourself to give admissions every angle of yourself
Reply 4
do you think it would be enough to talk about how the things ive learnt and link it to how it has affected the stuff around me? what ive done so far is link it to how its affected economic growth as i come from an underdeveloped country. im not to sure if that is a close enough link to myself

Original post by Carrotsroom
Just remember its a personal statement. As the other 2 post said, it really should be about yourself and dont just try list or describe things youve done and learnt. Admissions want to know who you are as a person summarised into 4000 characters, not what a book has said or what a course is teaching. Try link everything to yourself to give admissions every angle of yourself
do you think it would be enough to talk about how the things ive learnt and link it to how it has affected the stuff around me? what ive done so far is link it to how its affected economic growth as i come from an underdeveloped country. im not to sure if that is a close enough link to myself

definitely just dont describe what youve learnt, thats not what theyre interested in. Try link it to yourself, eg has this finding made you pick up a certain book, or branched out to a new subject interest
@XXSlayerXX

I used to do UCAS tutorials in my F.E college and always showed this short video from UCAS which advises on what to put in a UCAS application statement https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8hFkMAjW-I

Always remember it is about you and your skills for study not just the subject area

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Hi there,

It's good to hear you're dedicated, and have been expanding your knowledge on the course. This should be reflected in your personal statement - Its not just about what you know as fact but about showing who you are as a student and what you have to offer.

Reflect on what you learnt in the courses and reading and what it meant to you. What made you look into these books and how have they expanded your personal skills in the subject area. Link the facts to your wider experience of the course and show your passion for economics.

I think it's brilliant you've got some experience and definitely discuss what you have learnt - just remember its personal so make it tailored to you and your experience instead of just reciting facts.

Good luck,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Reply 8

What do you enjoy most about the course/subjects you’re taking? How will that help you at university with the course you’re applying for?

What did the books teach you? What did you find interesting about them?

Don’t include a lot of examples of different things. Talk a lot about a little (as my teachers put it). You can find sentence starters online of how you may structure the sentences so you make sure you’re talking about the book you read etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending