The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Procrastination and Dilemma

It's currently the 19th and I have made minimal progress on my UCAS statement. The Reason I'm procastinating is I feel like I there is so much I can talk about regarding my background but little in terms of achievements or work experience, Which I feel might make my application inadequate for universities?
Original post by hamroebe
It's currently the 19th and I have made minimal progress on my UCAS statement. The Reason I'm procastinating is I feel like I there is so much I can talk about regarding my background but little in terms of achievements or work experience, Which I feel might make my application inadequate for universities?

What subject are you applying for?
Original post by PQ
What subject are you applying for?

Computer Science
Computer Science

That's an academic degree then not a vocational one. 90% of decisions on your application will be based on your GCSE grades and your current subject choices. Work experience isn't going to be desirable in your PS - you just need to explain what you find interesting about CS and what you've done linked to it in your own time
I think universities understand that most students won't have the opportunity to do work experience unless you want to work in health care or need an art portfolio etc. Have you read any books, watched videos, lectures, seminars, done any personal projects etc (if those apply to you) and what did you learn from them?

Hi,
It's very common to feel that way, but there are actually a lot of great ways to relate your background to the course. Universities generally don't expect you to have degree-related work experience (at least with a course like computer science). A good starting point is to think why you want to do Computer Science and then answer it in your personal statement, highlighting your interests, strengths and motivations. If universities you are applying for require maths/have mathematical modules in their computer science course, you could talk about your mathematical skills as well (e.g. extra-curricular activities, topics that interest you or participation in any competitions, e.g. the UKMT challenge). Don't forget that you can also talk about non-academic extra-curriculars, relating them to the degree through the soft skills that you have learned (but avoid making that the focus of the personal statement).
When I was applying for Computer Science, I talked about my interest in robotics and maths (I didn't do computer science A-Level). I described two of my lego robotics projects, as that is something I used to do for fun, and highlighted kinematics and mechanics in Physics/Maths as my favourite topics, linking it to robotics and computer science. I mentioned that I was self-teaching myself how to code, that I enjoy the problem-solving aspect of it (which allowed me to link other less relevant background experiences to problem solving and CS). I also talked about more social experiences (such as school clubs, sport teams, DofE, working at holiday camps, volunteering, etc.) to highlight communication and teamwork skills. I also mentioned a couple of online events/hackathons/webinars that I have attended to learn more about certain aspects of CS. If you have an opportunity, try attending one of the online hackathons/interactive virtual events. They are not only something to put on a PS, but also a fun and accessible way to learn something new.
Overall, it wasn't a fantastic personal statement, but it did get me offers.

To summarise:

Think about why you are applying for the course and try to convey that motivation through the personal statement.

Link your background experiences to the degree or even just some aspects of it by talking about the soft skills you gained.

Highlight your motivation to learn by talking about any self-learning experiences, such as reading books, watching webinars, going to a lecture/exhibition/etc., completing online courses, attending hackathons, following any new trends or projects on the news, and more...

Talk about what is it about CS that appeals to you - is it the mathematical side of it, the hardware, data, networks...do you enjoy the problem solving or the creative aspect of it?

Describe any personal projects that you've done: it doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something that shows interest in the subject and interest in learning.

Don't forget to talk about yourself as a person too - any soft skills you have that are useful to the degree. Communication, organisation, planning, time-management and responsibility-handling, teamwork, problem-solving, goal-setting, etc.

Get it done as soon as you can! The more you write it, the easier it gets! It's better to write a draft that you hate, than nothing at all. After that, you can review your PS, ask for feedback from your teachers (!), family and friends, edit and refine it. Having some sort of rough draft will allow you to better figure out what your personal statement is lacking and improve it.

Sorry for the long essay of advice, and best of luck writing your personal statement!

Polina,
Lancaster University Student Ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending