The Student Room Group

Considering a legal career

So I did much better than I expected in my a levels (average GCSEs) and am going into my first year studying history and politics at the university of birmingham, several teachers have told me to consider law

GCSEs A*A*AAAAAABB
A Level A*A*B
(A*s in English literature and History, B in biology)

The problem is I come from a very working class/ single parent background and don't really have anyone to advise me on high profile careers like this, is it realistic with my grades? Is there enough funding out there for GDLs/LLBs etc?
Some firms will pay your GDL and LPC fees, and give you a sustenance grant while studying, if you get a training contract with them.

Try looking at sites like lawcareers.net, legalcheek and lawyer2b.
Reply 2
Have you thought about taking a gap year? With those grades you will have a decent shot at getting into KCL, UCL, LSE, Durham etc for Law.

But yes, those grades are more than adequate to a get a vacation scheme/training contract. And there are loads of programmes designed to help the less fortunate students get into corporate law. Aspiring Solicitors, RARE, and SEO spring to mind.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
By the time you graduate the qualification process for lawyers will have changed, and I suspect the GDL will no longer be an option for you. However, I expect firms will find a way to financially support you through the qualification process like they do now for the GDL, and if anything the process should be easier (many are looking into the equivalent of a Level 6/7 apprenticeship option), meaning you would earn while learning how to pass the SQE.

Ooh okay I didn't know about this? I guess I'll find some more information about the new routes once I start uni then
Original post by Digsy
Have you thought about taking a gap year? With those grades you will have a decent shot at getting into KCL, UCL, LSE, Durham etc for Law.

But yes, those grades are more than adequate to a get a vacation scheme/training contract. And there are loads of programmes designed to help the less fortunate students get into corporate law. Aspiring Solicitors, RARE, and SEO spring to mind.

Thank you that's really helpful! Wouldn't really be realistic for me to take a gap year annoyingly, birmingham is a Russell group so with 2:1 or above I'm still in with a good chance right?
Reply 5
Original post by annamarshall2727
Thank you that's really helpful! Wouldn't really be realistic for me to take a gap year annoyingly, birmingham is a Russell group so with 2:1 or above I'm still in with a good chance right?

Should be fine for most firms, especially Magic Circle and the other English firms. A few of the elite US firms are very exclusive though. I've only ever seen trainees from Oxbridge or LSE at Sullivan & Cromwell and Cleary Gottlieb.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending