The Student Room Group

Doing LPC but still unsure about law???? Any suggestions? :)

I am currently doing the LPC but have doubts about law as a career.

I have always been quite creative but stopped pursuing advertising/ marketing to work in law. I chose law as I had an interest in medical law and family law, and would like to work in those areas as I think it would be highly rewarding.

However, I've realised over time that my strengths may lie in something a bit more creative as I find law very interesting, but also very difficult. I found myself getting anxious whilst working as a paralegal after graduating from uni.

Any thoughts on how to pivot into marketing/advertising?? or stay in law and continue looking for tcs?? or alternative career paths! Thanks so much!!
I do quite a lot of advertising law - was doing some yesterday - it is very interesting. However that may not be what you want. Clearly it makes sense to finish the LPC and if you don't have a TC try to put together 2 year sof work experience (QWE) and quality perhaps including some of the work you already did as a paralegal ilf it counts and then qualify having passed SQE2 (if the LPC + TC does not materialise) as you might as well finish what you started.
Original post by myla1299
I am currently doing the LPC but have doubts about law as a career.

I have always been quite creative but stopped pursuing advertising/ marketing to work in law. I chose law as I had an interest in medical law and family law, and would like to work in those areas as I think it would be highly rewarding.

However, I've realised over time that my strengths may lie in something a bit more creative as I find law very interesting, but also very difficult. I found myself getting anxious whilst working as a paralegal after graduating from uni.

Any thoughts on how to pivot into marketing/advertising?? or stay in law and continue looking for tcs?? or alternative career paths! Thanks so much!!

Hi there

I am a student ambassador from ULAW and doing the LPC at the Bristol campus - so this response is tailored to a career in law! What campus are you studying at? Are you still working as a paralegal - if so, how are you finding it at present?

This is a great question! Finding the right career path can be so difficult and varies (especially when you are both academic and creative!). Unfortunately, there is no one right or wrong answer to this question, the best advice I would give is to explore all of your options.

As you may be aware while the SQE has recently been introduced, the LPC is valid until 2032 and so you have plenty of time to consider your options (although keep an eye on how firms are generally transitioning to the SQE and deadlines for TC's).

Some top tips would be to speak to other law students, reach out to the employability team at your LPC provider, and (if you are minded towards a legal career) consider touching base with graduate recruitment to get more info about the firms you may interested in.

If you have any specific questions about a legal career, please do let me know! More than happy to help where possible.

Best of luck with the rest of your LPC

Kate
(Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending