The Student Room Group

Feeling underprepared for employment

I’m starting my final year of uni in the fall and I am going through it right now. I don’t think I’m as prepared for this field as I initially thought. I’ve not had any internships, vacation schemes, mini pupillage; nothing at all. Everyone’s applying to firms now (soon) and I’m not even sure what my selling point is. My grades are not great (no As yet) and I’ve not got legal related extracurricular at university or in general.

What advice you give for me to up my chances of getting a nice firm? I want to apply for some traineeships this summer and I do intend on applying with some big firms. How can I show that I’d be a good intake even without all the extra legal experience?
Hey there,

I understand that you're feeling a bit overwhelmed and uncertain about your prospects as you enter your final year of university. It's important to remember that many students find themselves in a similar position, and there are still ways to enhance your chances of securing a traineeship with a nice firm.

While internships and legal-related extracurricular activities can be beneficial, they are not the only factors that firms consider when evaluating potential candidates. Here are a few suggestions to help you showcase your strengths and increase your chances:

Focus on your academic achievements: While your grades may not be perfect, highlight the subjects or modules where you performed well. Emphasize your dedication to learning and your ability to grasp complex legal concepts. Showcase any coursework or projects that demonstrate your skills and understanding in the field.

Leverage transferable skills: Even if you don't have direct legal experience, you likely possess a range of transferable skills from your studies and other activities. These can include critical thinking, problem-solving, research abilities, teamwork, and communication skills. Highlight these skills in your applications and explain how they can be valuable in a legal context.

Showcase your motivation and enthusiasm: Demonstrate your passion for the field and your eagerness to learn and grow. Explain why you are drawn to a career in law and how your personal experiences or values align with the profession. Share any relevant projects, initiatives, or personal research you have undertaken to deepen your understanding of the legal industry.

Seek alternative experiences: While internships and vacation schemes are valuable, they are not the only way to gain relevant experience. Consider opportunities such as volunteering at legal clinics, participating in pro bono projects, or joining legal societies or associations. These experiences can provide practical insights and demonstrate your commitment to the field.

Network and seek mentorship: Connect with professionals in the legal industry, attend career fairs, and reach out to alumni or contacts who may be willing to offer guidance and support. Building relationships with individuals already working in the field can provide valuable insights, advice, and potential opportunities.

Remember, firms are often looking for well-rounded individuals with a combination of skills, motivation, and potential. While it may require some extra effort on your part, don't underestimate the value of your unique qualities and experiences. Stay proactive, continue to develop your skills, and present yourself as a capable and dedicated candidate.

Believe in yourself and your abilities. With determination, perseverance, and a well-prepared application, you can increase your chances of securing a traineeship with a nice firm. Good luck on your journey!
Reply 2
Original post by WhoStoleMyName?
Hey there,

I understand that you're feeling a bit overwhelmed and uncertain about your prospects as you enter your final year of university. It's important to remember that many students find themselves in a similar position, and there are still ways to enhance your chances of securing a traineeship with a nice firm.

While internships and legal-related extracurricular activities can be beneficial, they are not the only factors that firms consider when evaluating potential candidates. Here are a few suggestions to help you showcase your strengths and increase your chances:

Focus on your academic achievements: While your grades may not be perfect, highlight the subjects or modules where you performed well. Emphasize your dedication to learning and your ability to grasp complex legal concepts. Showcase any coursework or projects that demonstrate your skills and understanding in the field.

Leverage transferable skills: Even if you don't have direct legal experience, you likely possess a range of transferable skills from your studies and other activities. These can include critical thinking, problem-solving, research abilities, teamwork, and communication skills. Highlight these skills in your applications and explain how they can be valuable in a legal context.

Showcase your motivation and enthusiasm: Demonstrate your passion for the field and your eagerness to learn and grow. Explain why you are drawn to a career in law and how your personal experiences or values align with the profession. Share any relevant projects, initiatives, or personal research you have undertaken to deepen your understanding of the legal industry.

Seek alternative experiences: While internships and vacation schemes are valuable, they are not the only way to gain relevant experience. Consider opportunities such as volunteering at legal clinics, participating in pro bono projects, or joining legal societies or associations. These experiences can provide practical insights and demonstrate your commitment to the field.

Network and seek mentorship: Connect with professionals in the legal industry, attend career fairs, and reach out to alumni or contacts who may be willing to offer guidance and support. Building relationships with individuals already working in the field can provide valuable insights, advice, and potential opportunities.

Remember, firms are often looking for well-rounded individuals with a combination of skills, motivation, and potential. While it may require some extra effort on your part, don't underestimate the value of your unique qualities and experiences. Stay proactive, continue to develop your skills, and present yourself as a capable and dedicated candidate.

Believe in yourself and your abilities. With determination, perseverance, and a well-prepared application, you can increase your chances of securing a traineeship with a nice firm. Good luck on your journey!

Thank you so much for these gems, I’ll definitely be implementing them during the rest of my summer break. Legal clinics are not quite as common up north (specifically where I’m based). While I’ll be keeping an eye out for more legal experience, I will also try to use my other skills to my advantage.

I intend on studying the law in the areas that I didn’t do quite as well in to help my confidence (to fight imposter syndrome really). Thank you once more!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending