The Student Room Group

How to choose Cambridge colleges?

Hello everyone. I am applying for law and not so sure about what college to choose yet. I found Downing college quite interestingly but I heard that the law degree in Downing is very competitive. Is that true?
Also are there any websites describing lives in different colleges? I remember I had seen something like that before but I cannot find anything.
Any suggestions? I would like to choose one slightly less competitive compared with others. I appreciate any helps thanks in advance
Reply 1
Obviously don't go for one of the high profile colleges if you don't want competitive . You will also find the less well known more traditional colleges are friendlier and not as stuffy . When choosing you need to look at accommodation and how the College rates on your subject - that can all be found on the University website . You don't say if you are male or female - I'm presuming female , if so Murray Edwards is all female and brilliant - I know quite a few people who went there and loved it . That along with Robinson ( they are almost next to one another just away from the centre ) have a good reputation amongst students . Also worth bearing in mind is you attend lectures / tutorials in a number of colleges and with other students from other colleges so you are not restricted to a social group within your college . Just look at each colleges website and if you can't make open days just ask if you can go and look . Also worth considering is you may opt to enter a 'pool' where your college is chosen for you - you can even be rejected by your choice of college and put in a pool for other colleges to look at ( obviously this is more likely to happen if you apply to a more popular college . Good luck , and if you get there , you'll love it
Reply 2
Original post by Eve151609
Hello everyone. I am applying for law and not so sure about what college to choose yet. I found Downing college quite interestingly but I heard that the law degree in Downing is very competitive. Is that true?
Also are there any websites describing lives in different colleges? I remember I had seen something like that before but I cannot find anything.
Any suggestions? I would like to choose one slightly less competitive compared with others. I appreciate any helps thanks in advance

There is no significant academic difference between colleges. Apply to a college you like, if that's Downing then great. Your choice of college does not affect your overall chances of a Cambridge offer.

There's a roughly 20-25% chance any offer will come from a different college anyway (due to the Winter Pool mechanism at Cambridge) so don't spend too much energy worrying about college choice.

Have a look at:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/colleges/choosing-a-college

And the helpful:
https://www.applytocambridge.com/colleges

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending