The Student Room Group

Entry to a Veterinary Nursing Career? From GCSE Level?

So I'm doing my GCSEs this year. I've got very high predicted grades (Nothing Below a Band 6(Grade B) apart from French! But I want to go into Veterinary Nursing, AndI'm not sure how to start, what A-Levels I need to take, or if I need to do a Level 3 Diploma? I'm not sure how it works, what equivalency is involved or anything! My school careers advisor is basically useless. She told me she didn't know and to "google it". So alas I've turned to the internet! Hopefully you guys can help me out a bit more than she did! What do I do next? What do I study? Ahhh! I'm ripping my hair out and I need to start applying for college soon!

Please help me out!

Mimi,
Original post by Mimi2kk1
So I'm doing my GCSEs this year. I've got very high predicted grades (Nothing Below a Band 6(Grade B) apart from French! But I want to go into Veterinary Nursing, AndI'm not sure how to start, what A-Levels I need to take, or if I need to do a Level 3 Diploma? I'm not sure how it works, what equivalency is involved or anything! My school careers advisor is basically useless. She told me she didn't know and to "google it". So alas I've turned to the internet! Hopefully you guys can help me out a bit more than she did! What do I do next? What do I study? Ahhh! I'm ripping my hair out and I need to start applying for college soon!

Please help me out!

Mimi,

Chemistry, Biology and Maths are the standard A-Level combination for Vetinary Science. I'm afraid in terms of nursing I don't know, but I imagine switching out Maths for Psychology or History would be acceptable? You can never go wrong in the eyes of admissions with taking traditional academic science subjects.
You don't need to do a degree to become a veterinary nurse, in fact I wouldn't personally recommend it. Other options are an HND which might need something like 2Cs at A level, see https://www.sruc.ac.uk/courses/125/veterinary_nursing_hnd , or a level 3 Diploma which doesn't need A levels at all, see https://www.sruc.ac.uk/courses/180/veterinary_nursing_level_3_diploma . My examples are Scottish courses so worth googling English colleges for similar courses to find their entry requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending