The Student Room Group

Liverpool or Edinburgh?

I am an aspiring Vet student applying this year. I am definitely applying to Bristol and Nottingham, and the RVC.
I loved the atmosphere at Bristol and how practical the course at Nottingham seemed. I am also super interested in research, animal welfare and conservation.
I dont know whether to put Liverpool or Edinburgh as my fourth option?
I live too far to visit either and left it too late to book affordable flights.
Please can you tell me about your experiences at either university with accommodation, courses, atmosphere etc.

Thanks
Hey, liv student here.

Liverpool is a wonderful city, loads to do, good atmosphere, and the course is a new course and relatively well run. Accommodation mostly is new, and you can choose to either integrate with other students or vet students. Liverpool you spend 3 year in Liverpool and the final 2 years at leahurst on the Wirral, so you move to the country for your last 2 years of uni. We have links with chester zoo (apparently, we have had lectures from them as well) and the research carried out here is pretty top notch, but that’s something you do a PhD in not during your course here. I can’t comment on ed, I know Ed is a beautiful city but I’ve never lived there. Overall liverpool is a super friendly city, loads to do, nightlife is brilliant and everything is close together, and you get that change of scenery in your 4th as 5th year.
Liverpool students also can do clinical ems from year one which no other uni does, and we get taught clinical skills from day one too. It’s a pretty hands on course, and is integrated from day one to make learning easier so each year you build on the last years topics.

If you want to know any more pm me. I’ve done 3 years at Liverpool already so I’m pretty used to the place now!
As above, Liverpool - fabulous student city, and great Uni that feels really inclusive and 'un-posh'.

PS> and the housing is cheap too.
Perhaps a bit biased as a Liverpool student :wink: but the atmosphere is just what you would want! Great vets sports teams with their own socials etc but everyone can be included and there is plenty of events ran throughout the year open to all, like the welcome party. Lecturers are top notch and leaders in their individual fields and as said the nightlife here cannot be beaten! On both fun and cost. Liverpool is a big city but everywhere is easily walking distance and vet lectures mainly seem to revolve around a small number of lecture theatres so you quickly find your way.
Reply 4
Thank you! I think i am going to apply to Liverpool, its a bit closer so a bit more practical aswell. How is the course split between the two campus'? and do you need referenceds from all you work experience placements?
Original post by .ella.
Thank you! I think i am going to apply to Liverpool, its a bit closer so a bit more practical aswell. How is the course split between the two campus'? and do you need referenceds from all you work experience placements?

Years 1-3 are based in Liverpool and you will have trips across to Leahurst for practicals etc.
It may have changed from when I applied but if I were you I would try and get as many references as possible as even if Liverpool don't look at them atleast one of your other choices likely will!
At Edinburgh the facilities are AMAZING, all the facilities, lectures etc are all in the same place, literally 2 mins walk from the equine hospital, small animal hospital, reptile place, labs and they are spending £10 million building a new social hub on campus, it might be finished now, the dairy farm is 2 mins drive round the corner, maybe 10 mins walk you are there from year 1 at the vet campus, are all in one location and very easy to get to and from, whereas Liverpool I'm pretty sure you have to take the shuttle bus to the equine, dairy hospital and small animal hospital, I think it's about 30 mins. In year 1 and 2 your lectures are in liverpool universities main campus.

Both have execellent equine hospitals, I think Liverpool is one of the best but Edinburgh is a close second for equine services.

I also think it depends what you want to do more of, Edinburgh is a lot more studying by the book and doing lectures etc, liverpool is much more practical! Which I think is what most people prefer. My preference would be Edinburgh because I like the course there and the location and Facilities, I much prefer the city Edinburgh itself but I do enhoy the practical side more

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending