The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College London Postgraduate Applicants 2018/2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by angeloscha
Hello everyone! I just applied for Machine Learning and (in case I get a rejection from that) for Management and Finance from the Department of Computing. I didn’t see that there is also Business Analytics. Can I change my application’s second course to Business Analytics instead of Management and Finance (submitted 3 days ago and my second reference has not been submitted yet)?

Hi, maybe another member can answer from personal experience but you should contact Registry, they are in charge of changes related to applications.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Sakiki
That's awesome. You're the first person I know who is going! 😆

There is another guy (or girl) that also says he got the offer (villewanted). I am also looking forward to start. Were you given a conditional offer was it?
Reply 342
Original post by Johnny L
There is another guy (or girl) that also says he got the offer (villewanted). I am also looking forward to start. Were you given a conditional offer was it?

Yep it's conditional, you? What are you currently studying?
Original post by Sakiki
Yep it's conditional, you? What are you currently studying?

I’m not studying at the moment, I already graduated with a 1st in Mechanical Engineering and got my place secured :smile:
Just gotta pay the deposit now.
Reply 344
I’m not studying at the moment, I already graduated with a 1st in Mechanical Engineering and got my place secured :smile:
Just gotta pay the deposit now.

Ah that's great... hope I get a first 😅
Original post by Sakiki
Ah that's great... hope I get a first 😅

Did they ask for a first in your offer? 🤔
Reply 346
Did they ask for a first in your offer? 🤔

Yep. However, on their website they ask for a 2.1 or above... I guess they want more from me for some reason.
Original post by Sakiki
Yep. However, on their website they ask for a 2.1 or above... I guess they want more from me for some reason.

That’s usually what they ask for.
I have a friend who got an offer for a previous year entry for this same course and they also asked for a first. I think it just means they receive a lot of applications and have to filter them out somehow.
Reply 348
That’s usually what they ask for.
I have a friend who got an offer for a previous year entry for this same course and they also asked for a first. I think it just means they receive a lot of applications and have to filter them out somehow.

Yeah probably. How did your friend find the course? Do you reckon we will be studying with 4th year Aero Eng MEng students?
Original post by Sakiki
Yeah probably. How did your friend find the course? Do you reckon we will be studying with 4th year Aero Eng MEng students?

From what I’ve seen, I think it really depends on the module choices.
Original post by Sakiki

Some courses will probably accept 2:1s but most are just really popular. I spoke to a representative and she said that applying for certain, highly quantitative courses, only will be a good idea if you've got a first class.
Reply 351
Original post by Tom Sessink
Some courses will probably accept 2:1s but most are just really popular. I spoke to a representative and she said that applying for certain, highly quantitative courses, only will be a good idea if you've got a first class.

Ohh okay, makes sense. You applying for Advanced Aeronautical engineering too?
Original post by Sakiki
Ohh okay, makes sense. You applying for Advanced Aeronautical engineering too?

No, it’s MSc Economics and Strategy for Business for me!
Reply 353
No, it’s MSc Economics and Strategy for Business for me!

Hey, how is the ESB application going for you? which part of the process are you at? What's your background? I applied for ESB too!
Original post by CjNg
Hey, how is the ESB application going for you? which part of the process are you at? What's your background? I applied for ESB too!

Application is fully done, just waiting for them to give me an offer or reject. Currently doing an undergraduate degree in international business management, high first (80%) but little experience in a corporate setting. I’ve worked in teaching for about 4 years. Imperial is my first choice, but have gotten accepted to my second (kings) and third choice (ucl) but both have a deposit deadline this Friday. Went to the university today to try to speak to them about it but they told me to email them. Hopefully they’ll send me an offer before Friday so I don’t have to pay twice.
Reply 355
Application is fully done, just waiting for them to give me an offer or reject. Currently doing an undergraduate degree in international business management, high first (80%) but little experience in a corporate setting. I’ve worked in teaching for about 4 years. Imperial is my first choice, but have gotten accepted to my second (kings) and third choice (ucl) but both have a deposit deadline this Friday. Went to the university today to try to speak to them about it but they told me to email them. Hopefully they’ll send me an offer before Friday so I don’t have to pay twice.

Your background seems really interesting! I am in similar situation as you, but I am also waiting for a reply at the University of Warwick. I have not heard from both of these institutions regarding an offer. What programs did you apply for at UCL and Kings?
Original post by CjNg
Your background seems really interesting! I am in similar situation as you, but I am also waiting for a reply at the University of Warwick. I have not heard from both of these institutions regarding an offer. What programs did you apply for at UCL and Kings?

Management and International Management. I’ve looked at the other universities as well, but decided to stay in London as I’ve built up a life here. Good luck!
Reply 357
Management and International Management. I’ve looked at the other universities as well, but decided to stay in London as I’ve built up a life here. Good luck!

Thanks you too! Hey, let me know if you have heard from them! It's just weird to see how some people have waited for months, while some got a response within 2months.
Original post by CjNg
Thanks you too! Hey, let me know if you have heard from them! It's just weird to see how some people have waited for months, while some got a response within 2months.

I think the ones that receive an offer early on are the really strong student. The other ones might be placed on a “second choice” list in case the places haven’t been filled by the end of the summer. I have a feeling I might be on that list (or perhaps they’ll just reject me haha) as my undergraduate degree is from a very average university.
I think the ones that receive an offer early on are the really strong student. The other ones might be placed on a “second choice” list in case the places haven’t been filled by the end of the summer. I have a feeling I might be on that list (or perhaps they’ll just reject me haha) as my undergraduate degree is from a very average university.

Hey.

Don't fret over having done your undergrad at an average uni. Don't know how relevant this is because I applied for a science Msc but my undergrad degree is from a mid table uni and only briefly covered the subject for which I applied, as in it was only mentioned in the context of other modules, but I think I made up for it writing a really strong personal statement and showing that I was driven and had goals. I think it was about 2 months ish after I applied that I got my offer, end Nov to mid Jan . I did get a request from the course director asking for another supplementary statement to expand on some things in the one I first submitted and it was a week later i got my offer.

I think some of the wait times are dependent on department, staff availability (the strikes, exam time etc.) and probably just volume of applicants. Given it was Jan when I was asked to give the second statement it makes me think it took a month and a half before it was even seen and this was probably before the busy period.

I know it's a little cliche and hard to do but you just have to chill and wait.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending