The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Incomplete
Isn't this a bit of a slap each other on the back thread. Everyone is just a bit too keen to shout i got "11A*, look at me, I am good at something" on this thread for me.

Firstly brains are directly related to looks and social life, what a load of rubbish. What is in your head does not affect the way you look. Sure if you treat your face like **** of course you gonna get acne, but its not exculsive to intelligent people.

Secoundly why do so many people on this site feel the need to put such importance on grades. We all have different standards for achievement in our lives and I would hope everyone manages to meet their own standard. Grades and education in general open doors for you and give you more choices, if you did well be happy with that but you dont need to shout it out because to be honest i dont care when i speak to someone for the first time if they have "good " grades or not. Insteead try being abit more modest.

Read my post below - Great minds think alike. :smile:
Chubb
Good, perfect even grades doesn't really mean much if you are a boring and/or horrible person. True talent is shown by getting decent grades but also having a life outside of your studies and thats why universities frequently reject people with perfect grades. I would assume that anyone could get good marks at their exams as long as they worked at it all the time.

I know someone who got brilliant grades but was rejected from Oxbridge and rightly so because he was too full of himself - he seems to be of the opinion that he is more important than any one else. Also when he took a test at Oxbridge which was multiple choice he didn't fill in or the answers (even though he had a 1/4 chance of guessing it right) when me and a mate (would could of got into Oxbridge if he wanted) said he probably should have filled them all in (in a polite manner) he claimed that maybe that was why we wern't taking the test! How arrogant is he! :eek: :mad:
K'uin K'ra
Don't forget that it also has to do with the type of schooling you receive. At privately funded schools, it's not uncommon for strings of A*s, but most state schools have such 'wonders' rarely.

And it is a bit unfair to say they have no life. I define "having a life" as something very different from most 'cool' people. As long as someone is happy, has friends and is doing what he/she is wanting to do, that's as much of having a life as you can get.

People say I have no life because I don't like to get wankered every night at the local pub. I don't care because I'm happy with what I'm doing and where I'm going.

If that was even slightly aimed at me - I didn't say everyone who got fantastic results had no marks, only that she, who got straight A*s must have put all her time into it as she has nothing better to do - she has no friends, no hobbies, and nobody wants to be associated with her.

She herself is a bloody horrible person, which is really why I commented.

And I don't drink, or smoke. Doesn't stop me from having a life wither.
So what if she got 11 A*s? The girl who got the highest GCSE grades in our school didn't get the highest AS grades... *shrugs* Though I don't suppose it's a great example really, as I got the second best GCSE results and then the highest AS grades, while she got the second highest.

See how stupid that was? We both did well, we were both chuffed with our grades... who cares if you don't get straight A*s at GCSE... it's fantastic to pass one if that's the best you can do.

I don't think comparing people does anyone much good!

Lol, and wow at those GCSE pass rates for school! Our school is 55% this year, 56% last year... my dad's school is 19%, with 9% in his department (maths). But they are one of the bottom 20 schools in the country :smile:
Don't worry about it. When you get further through college you'll realise a string of A*s on its own isn't actually going to get you very far. It's much more important to have nailed the grades in the subjects you want to pursue at college and university as opposed to having got the top grade in everything. Even then GCSE results are only one segment of what universities consider when offering places. I agree that getting straight A*s does have a hell of a lot to do with work ethic, but that doesn't mean people who get them always have no life!
Reply 104
nooneknows
Don't worry about it. When you get further through college you'll realise a string of A*s on its own isn't actually going to get you very far. It's much more important to have nailed the grades in the subjects you want to pursue at college and university as opposed to having got the top grade in everything. Even then GCSE results are only one segment of what universities consider when offering places. I agree that getting straight A*s does have a hell of a lot to do with work ethic, but that doesn't mean people who get them always have no life!

I agree with you though everyone who get A*s in my year had no social life and still don't. Though my cousin also get a few A*s and he goes out quite often though he still works loads more than I would perceive as healthy.
samdavyson
:eek: It is bloody amazing.

Lol.. don't quote me on that! I swear it said in our sixth form prospectus though, but I could be mistaken. :rolleyes:
Reply 106
ChemistBoy
No GCSE's weren't harder a few years ago, they were still easy then.

*slaps him with her 11 O Levels* Well everyone says they are getting easier so I assumed they were harder a few years ago.
gossip_girl
some girl im my school got 11 a* and im just thinking how the hell can i keep up with that! i mean how can anybody keep up with that! :confused:
(not including really really smart ppl)

A girl in my school got 11 A*s as well.
SiAnY
A girl in my school got 11 A*s as well.
And in mine too. Not because everyone can't get it doesn't mean that it's impossible to do so.
Reply 109
Kilsomo
i got 10 and 1/2 gcses grades Bs and Cs, and i got for my my A levels AB which got me into sheffield uni to study biblical studies, which is 5th highest in the league tables for theology. gcses dnt mean a thing unless u want to get into oxbridge

and if you want to get into 6th form, and do medicine :rolleyes:
Kilsomo
i got 10 and 1/2 gcses grades Bs and Cs, and i got for my my A levels AB which got me into sheffield uni to study biblical studies, which is 5th highest in the league tables for theology. gcses dnt mean a thing unless u want to get into oxbridge

I disagree with you. Any of the top London unis, aswell as the usual top unis outside of London such as Bristol, Nottingham etc will very much take your GCSE into account! You applied for an uncompetitive course so they might not have been that concerned about grades, but for any over subscribed course e.g medicine, law, english, etc (to name a few) I'm sure the case would be different.
Reply 111
why do people think tht smart people have no lives, are ugly or have no other interests besides school work.. i got pretty good grades in my IGCSEs but was still involved in so many outside activities. someone who gets 11A* should be commended.. not treated as a freak... i guess most people badname smart people as nerds coz theyre just jealous
Nidz
why do people think tht smart people have no lives, are ugly or have no other interests besides school work.. i got pretty good grades in my IGCSEs but was still involved in so many outside activities. someone who gets 11A* should be commended.. not treated as a freak... i guess most people badname smart people as nerds coz theyre just jealous

I agree - except maybe with the jealousy part, I don't know about that.
I got 9A*s and an A, which was top in my school, but loads of my friends did great too with 5 or more A*S and most of the rest As.
My point is, we went out on a Friday night, went round to my friends' houses to watch DVDs, wasted time at home watching TV and I did loads of extra-curricular things too - I was not chained to my desk all the time and I did have friends and a life outside school!
Someone in my school got 13 A*s:eek:
Some guy at my school got 12 A*s, 100% in five of them, including maths (which he took a year early) and music which he took 2 years early. He also took his A2 mechanics module a year early and got 100% as well (in F**KING MECHANICS).

I managed 4 A*s, 6 As, a B and a C, which i was really happy with and proud of. This guy is just a machine with the ability to absorb everything!!!
Reply 115
yer i no, i ve read an article in my local newspaper of my borough about a girl in a state skool in a comprehensive skool this year.clever girl though,must be hard working, cuz it is extraordinary and rarely to get all A*s in a comprehensive skool.
Wherewathuwen?

He also took his A2 mechanics module a year early and got 100% as well (in F**KING MECHANICS).

LOL mechanics is by far the easiest A2, I got 95% and I know which question I screwed up in, cuz I crossed it out to make it easier to read near the end and the blinkin exam finished :eek:
Having said that 100% is pro and thumbs up to him for sure :biggrin:
~Gaz
Reply 117
To me, a string of A*s shows a capacity to cope with a reasonably large workload and demonstrates a high baseline of intelligence (although beyond that, it can't differentiate very much). Of course A-levels matter more, but if you apply for any competitive undergraduate course then your GCSEs *will* be important, particularly since 3As at A-level are pretty common now. I can't believe how many people think that GCSEs are unimportant! Or hope that their highly academic friends will fall on their face and perform poorly at A level or in life in general - bitterness if you ask me.
Kilsomo

Or LSE... or Imperial... or UCL... or Warwick... or Nottingham... :rolleyes: GCSEs matter.
'
{ingnik']you do talk sense sometimes, consider how good this girls social life is or is likely to turn out to be in the future.

I think sometimes people on here make the mistake of assuming that because if they were to get 11A* (or whatever) they would have to work ALL the time, then others that get these grades must only ever work.

however often other people are simply more intelligent or find the work easier than you, and for them to get 11A* (or whatever) needs the same amount of work as for others to get 11 Bs.

I think people on here sometimes like to imagine that outstanding grades are only possible by being a freak and having no social life because they don't like to think that other people might simply be more intelligent than they are.

For the record, I know many people who got 9, 10, or 11 A*s at GCSE, 4 or 5 As at A-level, etc.. and they are all pretty normal people and by no means spend all their time working. They are just smart.

Latest

Trending

Trending