The Student Room Group

Very short girl

I'm a very short girl, 155 cm (5'1), and i feel that people don't take me seriously and look down upon me. Two of my previous boyfriends said that if they hadn't gotten to know me through friends/ school then they probably wouldn't have gotten to know me due to me not being their ideal height and the fact that i look about 3 years younger than i actually am. Both of my younger sisters are taller than me and look much older which annoys the hell out of me as everyone assumes I'm the youngest. I'm going to uni next year in a different country from my friends which is scaring me since I'm afraid I wont be able to make friends easily due to height. :frown:

Does anyone else have this problem and if yes how do you face it?

to guys: would you not date a girl due to her height?

Scroll to see replies

I'm exactly the same height as you and I also look a few years younger than my actual age. It never really bothers me, I guess being this height has always been part of who I am so I've just accepted it. I started uni in September and I haven't had any problems with making friends. There are guys who like tall girls and there are guys who like short girls- someone is bound to find you attractive whether you realise it or not. Besides, anyone who rejects you based purely on your height is probably not worth being with anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by Foo.mp3
Less important for girls to be tall than guys at least so dw too much me hearty - just crack out those heels and ensure that your general attitude compensates :smile:

I've never been with a girl below around 5'4, and even then it wasn't such a great idea for reasons relating to physical compatibility :rolleyes:, but I wouldn't rule a girl out based on height, in the abstract, innate, sense e.g. I can find smaller girls attractive, just most likely a bad idea to try to bed them! :tongue:

Why compensate with anything? I thought guys liked petite girls with tiny waists etc
I'm shorter than you. I'm the shortest out of all my friends. I've never had a problem making new friends or getting to know people. Your height is a part of you and you can't change that. To be honest, I'm glad I'm short so I can flaunt my heels lol. I love my heels :smile:. The best compliment I've ever had from a guy (despite being so short) is "(my name) you've got the full package girl".

So yeah. And anyway, small things come in small packages :tongue:
Nothing wrong with your height. Im 5'10-11 and would date someone who is not under 5ft. Short girls are ideal height for certain desires :smile:
This is a confidence issue, plenty of short girls (including myself) have no problem finding boyfriends or making friends. You need to get some self esteem girl!
Original post by TruetoMyself
Nothing wrong with your height. Im 5'10-11 and would date someone who is not under 5ft. Short girls are ideal height for certain desires :smile:

what about short height and short hair?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a very short girl, 155 cm (5'1), and i feel that people don't take me seriously and look down upon me. Two of my previous boyfriends said that if they hadn't gotten to know me through friends/ school then they probably wouldn't have gotten to know me due to me not being their ideal height and the fact that i look about 3 years younger than i actually am. Both of my younger sisters are taller than me and look much older which annoys the hell out of me as everyone assumes I'm the youngest. I'm going to uni next year in a different country from my friends which is scaring me since I'm afraid I wont be able to make friends easily due to height. :frown:

I prefer shorter girls for some reason, im 6"2, its not an issue for men, unless perhaps she has dwarfism
Reply 8
I'm 18 and the same height as you. It's always bothered me, especially when people make comments about it. A few years ago one of my very close friends said to me 'I reckon guys forget about you because you're short'. I didn't really see the need for this comment but took it in my stride. My boyfriend really likes my height as he's not really tall himself, but sometimes he'll make comments such as when playing charades. He suggested I should do The Hobbit as all i'd have to do is 'stand there', he also refers to me as a 'borrower' and asks me why we pay for things when I could just 'borrow it'.

I think the only reason being short gets to me now is because people thing i'm so much younger than I am which is frustrating when you're the only one who gets Id'd at the cinema out of your friends for 15's. But the view i've decided to take on it now is that I can wear heels as high as I like without being taller than all the guys, and that hopefully i'll still look younger than I am when i'm 30 :smile:
Reply 9
I'm 4ft11 :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Original post by iamapokemon
I'm 4ft11 :rolleyes:

Snap!

OP, I'm shorter than you. From the age of about 13 until 18 I was pretty self conscious and worried about my height, would only wear heals of 4" plus. Stopped wearing heels 4 years ago when I was 18, I love my funky trainers, and I now love my height. Have found a lot of guys love it, I get picked up (as in carried!) quite a lot... And I certainly dont feel I'm overlooked or undervalued. Being petite is good, its just about how you carry yourself and being confident with your body. Work the cute look! Honestly, just embrace being small, there are a lot of advantages to it. Oh and dont worry about guys, some like tall some like short some dont mind. My bf is 6'1" and Ive never been out with anyone under 6'. And you'll be glad you look young in a few years time!
Reply 11
I think most guys wont mind going out with a girl at your height so you shouldnt worry, you also have heels to make you feel a little taller if thats the issue.
Now on the other side, if you were taller than the average girl, this would be more of a problem since some guys wont date taller girls..it makes them feel less masculine or something! I speak from experience because I've seen it happening sometimes.

I wouldn't worry about it...personally, as long as you are pretty... I actually find that height sexy.....that means, i can easily carry you ...hmmmm....thats sexy....
I'm shorter than you. I'm the shortest out of all my friends. I've never had a problem making new friends or getting to know people. Your height is a part of you and you can't change that. To be honest, I'm glad I'm short so I can flaunt my heels lol. I love my heels :smile:. The best compliment I've ever had from a guy (despite being so short) is "(my name) you've got the full package girl".

So yeah. And anyway, small things come in small packages :tongue:

you mean "big things come in small packages?"...I think that is what you meant...
Original post by int_applicant

you mean "big things come in small packages?"...I think that is what you meant...

Or even 'good things come in small packages' :smile:

5'1 is not VERY short. I'm 5'2.
my fiance is 6'3. people who decide whether they want to get to know you purely based on your height aren't worth getting to know, imo. all my friends are taller than I am, and I've never had an issue meeting people. as for the looking young part - you'll be the envy of everybody when you're 40-50 years old and look 20.
Reply 16
As a 6'3 guy, I prefer petite girls.

I'm really sorry and I feel for you in this situation but these 4 words did make me giggle. Sorry... :colondollar:
I'm 5ft 5, and I was always one of the shortest in my class! Although now I realise, it isn't that short!
But as others have said, I don't think it's a bad height! Some guys prefer more petite girls! I doubt it would have an affect on friends etc. :]
take a look,notice how most tall guys are with with shorter girls of around 5ft....hint there
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending