Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm 25 and I did my A-levels for the first time in 2010 and got BDD. This year I did distance learning, redoing one of my original A levels and taking one entirely new one, so now overall I have A* A* B D. The B and the D are from 2010, whereas the two A*s are from 2017.

I want to apply to Durham for 2018. Is it a problem that my A-levels are from different times? I did notice on the foundation course info page that you could apply for that if you were a mature student whose A-levels are from long ago. I wouldn't be averse to doing the foundation course, but I'd rather not.

The course I'm going for is Japanese BA and the requirements are AAB. Do I stand a good chance, or not? If not, why not?

Also, I know Durham goes off grades but I'm just curious about my UCAS points. I'm a bit out of the loop because it's changed now. I calculated my UCAS points at 176, counting the D that I got ages ago. Sounds high. Is this correct? Does that mean that you could in theory just do 10 A-Levels, get Es in them all and still go to a good university with your 160 UCAS points? lol.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you're applying for. A*A*B is considered better than AAA and probably little worse than an A*AA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonsarehere)
    you could in theory just do 10 A-Levels, get Es in them all and still go to a good university with your 160 UCAS points? lol.
    Good universities tend not to make offers based on UCAS points but on actual grades (e.g. AAB).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoTreason)
    It depends what you're applying for. A*A*B is considered better than AAA and probably little worse than an A*AA
    Will they be put off by the fact that I got a D in something?

I will have to submit my original grades, plus my new grades. So presumably they will see that I used to have BDD and then improved to A* A* B D.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonsarehere)
    Will they be put off by the fact that I got a D in something?

I will have to submit my original grades, plus my new grades. So presumably they will see that I used to have BDD and then improved to A* A* B D.
    No, anything more than three A-levels is considered extra

ReputationRep:
    You'll be able to spin your experience quite nicely in your PS, especially if you've been doing something relevant/productive since you finished school. The bottom line is that you exceed the minimum requirements, so I would think you stand a decent chance. Good luck!

Some universities used to say 'xxx points from a maximum of yyy A-levels' so you wouldn't get in with ten grade Es, nice try though!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.