The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Mature student Q: I have A*A*B, but the B is from aaaaages ago. Does that matter?

So, I'm 25 and I did my A-levels for the first time in 2010 and got BDD. This year I did distance learning, redoing one of my original A levels and taking one entirely new one, so now overall I have A* A* B D. The B and the D are from 2010, whereas the two A*s are from 2017.

I want to apply to Durham for 2018. Is it a problem that my A-levels are from different times? I did notice on the foundation course info page that you could apply for that if you were a mature student whose A-levels are from long ago. I wouldn't be averse to doing the foundation course, but I'd rather not.

The course I'm going for is Japanese BA and the requirements are AAB. Do I stand a good chance, or not? If not, why not?

Also, I know Durham goes off grades but I'm just curious about my UCAS points. I'm a bit out of the loop because it's changed now. I calculated my UCAS points at 176, counting the D that I got ages ago. Sounds high. Is this correct? Does that mean that you could in theory just do 10 A-Levels, get Es in them all and still go to a good university with your 160 UCAS points? lol.
It depends what you're applying for. A*A*B is considered better than AAA and probably little worse than an A*AA
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by lemonsarehere
you could in theory just do 10 A-Levels, get Es in them all and still go to a good university with your 160 UCAS points? lol.

Good universities tend not to make offers based on UCAS points but on actual grades (e.g. AAB).
Original post by NoTreason
It depends what you're applying for. A*A*B is considered better than AAA and probably little worse than an A*AA

Will they be put off by the fact that I got a D in something?

I will have to submit my original grades, plus my new grades. So presumably they will see that I used to have BDD and then improved to A* A* B D.
Original post by lemonsarehere
Will they be put off by the fact that I got a D in something?

I will have to submit my original grades, plus my new grades. So presumably they will see that I used to have BDD and then improved to A* A* B D.

No, anything more than three A-levels is considered extra
You'll be able to spin your experience quite nicely in your PS, especially if you've been doing something relevant/productive since you finished school. The bottom line is that you exceed the minimum requirements, so I would think you stand a decent chance. Good luck!

Some universities used to say 'xxx points from a maximum of yyy A-levels' so you wouldn't get in with ten grade Es, nice try though!

Quick Reply

Latest