The Student Room Group

No References

I am thinking about applying for uni, probably to do an online degree.

I intend to re do my a-levels privately and apply either through clearing or in the next round of application year.

Getting a reference will be difficult as I don’t have much work history due to poor health, and I left my sixth form 8 years ago.

Is it possible to get into a uni course without a reference if I have good grades? Would applying through clearing help me get a place without a reference?

Does anyone have any experience with this or been in a similar position?

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by c2024

I intend to re do my a-levels privately and apply either through clearing or in the next round of application year.

Getting a reference will be difficult as I don’t have much work history due to poor health, and I left my sixth form 8 years ago.

Is it possible to get into a uni course without a reference if I have good grades? Would applying through clearing help me get a place without a reference?

Have you thought about doing a one-year Access to HE course instead of a retaking A levels? By doing this you would be able to get a reference from your tutors, and you can apply for funding to help with fees:

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/about-access
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
Have you thought about doing a one-year Access to HE course instead of a retaking A levels? By doing this you would be able to get a reference from your tutors, and you can apply for funding to help with fees:

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/about-access

Would an access course be the same ‘standard” as A-Levels when looking at a uni application? I feel like I need the best academic backing I can get when applying due to my lack of employment history and circumstances.

When I did my a-levels 8 years ago I got A* B B, and at the time access courses didn’t have many options, so is this different now?

Thank you very much for the link and advice too, I’m very appreciative of the help.
Original post by c2024
Would an access course be the same ‘standard” as A-Levels when looking at a uni application? I feel like I need the best academic backing I can get when applying due to my lack of employment history and circumstances.

When I did my a-levels 8 years ago I got A* B B, and at the time access courses didn’t have many options, so is this different now?

Thank you very much for the link and advice too, I’m very appreciative of the help.

Yes Access courses are recognised as full level 3 qualifications. If you have an idea of what you want to study at uni, look at the entry requirements and check which Access courses are accepted. There are a wide variety of courses available.
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
Yes Access courses are recognised as full level 3 qualifications. If you have an idea of what you want to study at uni, look at the entry requirements and check which Access courses are accepted. There are a wide variety of courses available.

For some courses they say they review access course candidates on a case-by-case basis. Do you know what else they consider when looking at an applicant?

Due to my poor work history, would it be better to go the traditional route of doing a-levels if I can find a private college who could also provide a reference?
Original post by c2024
For some courses they say they review access course candidates on a case-by-case basis. Do you know what else they consider when looking at an applicant?

Due to my poor work history, would it be better to go the traditional route of doing a-levels if I can find a private college who could also provide a reference?

What course are you thinking of applying for?
Reply 6
A*BB are great a-levels! Why are you going to re-do them? Which course do you want to do at uni? If you are re-doing then just to get a reference that is a really bad idea! You would be better off working for a year in the area you want to study in and getting a reference from an employer.
Reply 7
Original post by Kay7475
A*BB are great a-levels! Why are you going to re-do them? Which course do you want to do at uni? If you are re-doing then just to get a reference that is a really bad idea! You would be better off working for a year in the area you want to study in and getting a reference from an employer.

Thank you! But it’s one of those catch 22 things of can’t get a job without a reference, can’t get a reference without a job or academic tutor. Or my uni application might have ok grades, but no reference and work history so to get into a good uni might be difficult.

At the moment I’m looking into distance learning courses, but if I wanted to go to uni in person it would be a competitive one so I’d imagine I would have a better chance with good references and grades.
Original post by c2024
Thank you! But it’s one of those catch 22 things of can’t get a job without a reference, can’t get a reference without a job or academic tutor. Or my uni application might have ok grades, but no reference and work history so to get into a good uni might be difficult.

At the moment I’m looking into distance learning courses, but if I wanted to go to uni in person it would be a competitive one so I’d imagine I would have a better chance with good references and grades.

Asking for work experience or volunteering can be a way of getting that first reference, and could also be relevant to your application anyway. What course are you wanting to do at uni?
Reply 9
Original post by SilverPebble
Asking for work experience or volunteering can be a way of getting that first reference, and could also be relevant to your application anyway. What course are you wanting to do at uni?

I think it’s probably a lack of confidence thing too, I feel very embarrassed that I’m 26 with no references! And the only way to justify it is to go on a long winded talk about my health history and lack of confidence which I would never do!

I’m thinking about doing law, as there are a few online programmes for that and I enjoy essay writing. I mainly want to get started on a good degree as a back up in the future, so I am very open to what course to do, however, I feel that studying a degree distance learning I should do a humanities based degree, rather than a technical subject, as it’s more where my natural skills lie (essay writing and research).

I hope to do creative endeavours alongside a traditional degree in order to earn money so I can catch up a bit with everyone else.
Reply 10
Original post by Kay7475

Also, why would it be a bad idea to redo them to get a reference?
It's not just the reference that is an issue. Unis usually require evidence of recent study (it varies but probably within the last five years) so taking an Access course or retaking A levels would cover this too.
Reply 12
Original post by normaw
It's not just the reference that is an issue. Unis usually require evidence of recent study (it varies but probably within the last five years) so taking an Access course or retaking A levels would cover this too.

Yes this is what I assumed, although some people have told me universities won’t care about this and won’t care about a reference and I should just apply with my grades and no reference… which is obviously very confusing because I thought that would be a big deal for the application! Also, even if I got a place, just going into uni studies with years of academic break seems a bit daunting?
Reply 13
Original post by normaw
What course are you thinking of applying for?

Also, realised I never replied to this thinking of applying for law, with the university of law or another distance learning uni. I have also looked into the Cambridge foundation year if I decide to go the in person uni route.
Original post by c2024
Yes this is what I assumed, although some people have told me universities won’t care about this and won’t care about a reference and I should just apply with my grades and no reference… which is obviously very confusing because I thought that would be a big deal for the application! Also, even if I got a place, just going into uni studies with years of academic break seems a bit daunting?

You can email the admissions departments of the unis you are interested in and ask about their requirements re previous study and references.
Mature student applications are much more discretional on the unis part, which is why you will find conflicting advice. As above, it's best to speak to individual unis as you will get different guidance as to how they'd consider you.
Original post by c2024

Hi,

You can still apply to Universities with just a CV or your highest level of education. If you don’t have any of those you are better off going for a Foundation Year. I help with all the admissions process.
My son's headteacher did my first uni reference, it doesnt necessarily have to be someone youve worked for or an academic, Just someone that knows you and can vouch for you. It matters more at masters and PhD, but bachelors are fairly easy to access. Unless you are only considering Cambridge.
Original post by get_into_uni
Hi,

You can still apply to Universities with just a CV or your highest level of education. If you don’t have any of those you are better off going for a Foundation Year. I help with all the admissions process.

Which university do you work for that allows application with a CV and not a formal application through UCAS?
Original post by c2024
Also, realised I never replied to this thinking of applying for law, with the university of law or another distance learning uni. I have also looked into the Cambridge foundation year if I decide to go the in person uni route.

Rather than taking A levels ot ULaw have a look at Open Universities entry modules. With your past A level grades these would be more appropriate than retaking A levels again and would meet the criteria of updating your study and preparing you for a law degree while allowing you to study distance learning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending