The Student Room Group

less selective midwifery schools

Hello,
There are so many universities, and I'd like to know which ones are the less selective, as I can make only 5 choices. I'm French and even if I've got the french equivalent of an AAA* A level, I fear universities may be reluctant to choose me. Plus I can't find a work experience in the UK, even at the hospital I was born in, because I don't live there anymore.

Thank you!
Original post by weareux
Hello,
There are so many universities, and I'd like to know which ones are the less selective, as I can make only 5 choices. I'm French and even if I've got the french equivalent of an AAA* A level, I fear universities may be reluctant to choose me. Plus I can't find a work experience in the UK, even at the hospital I was born in, because I don't live there anymore.

Thank you!

Hi, all midwifery degree courses are competitive & they receive a large number of applications each year. You could look at universities with lower entry requirements, however this doesn't suggest they are less selective than others. And it may be worth looking at universities that do not state relevant work/voluntary experience as an entry requirement if it is difficult for you to find some, however again this doesn't mean they are less selective.
It isn't just your grades that the universities are looking at, they are looking at you as a person and if you have the right qualities and skills to become a midwife. This is demonstrated in your personal statement and at interview/selection day.
In regards to work experience, hospitals aren't the only place to gain experience, you can try breastfeeding support groups, NCT groups, mother & baby groups and charity organisations to gain experience. So it is worth looking at other places you may be able to get experience.
Your non-healthcare related experience is also going to show your skills & abilities e.g communication and team working, so be sure to include and use it in your application.
I hope this helps and good luck with your application.
Reply 2
Original post by mel_l218
Hi, all midwifery degree courses are competitive & they receive a large number of applications each year. You could look at universities with lower entry requirements, however this doesn't suggest they are less selective than others. And it may be worth looking at universities that do not state relevant work/voluntary experience as an entry requirement if it is difficult for you to find some, however again this doesn't mean they are less selective.
It isn't just your grades that the universities are looking at, they are looking at you as a person and if you have the right qualities and skills to become a midwife. This is demonstrated in your personal statement and at interview/selection day.
In regards to work experience, hospitals aren't the only place to gain experience, you can try breastfeeding support groups, NCT groups, mother & baby groups and charity organisations to gain experience. So it is worth looking at other places you may be able to get experience.
Your non-healthcare related experience is also going to show your skills & abilities e.g communication and team working, so be sure to include and use it in your application.
I hope this helps and good luck with your application.

Thank you! That is so much better than in France, where midwives are chosen based on multiple choice questionnaires

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending