The Student Room Group

Maths help

IMG_1708.jpg
Can anyone explain to me how do these questions, do I first use bionomial expansion then complete the square or something like that?
Reply 1
Original post by Yip9090
IMG_1708.jpg
Can anyone explain to me how do these questions, do I first use bionomial expansion then complete the square or something like that?

You do need to use binomial expansion. Try this and please post all your working if you get stuck.
Original post by Yip9090
IMG_1708.jpg

You would certainly want to use the binomial expansion if the powers were higher but for these two it might be simpler to just multiply them out.
Reply 3
Original post by Towcestermaths
You would certainly want to use the binomial expansion if the powers were higher but for these two it might be simpler to just multiply them out.

Binomial expansion is just a quick way of expanding brackets. Especially for the first one, an A Level student should definitely be using binomial expansion IMO. If they are not then they're probably not confident enough with binomial expansion than they should be.
Original post by Notnek
Binomial expansion is just a quick way of expanding brackets. Especially for the first one, an A Level student should definitely be using binomial expansion IMO. If they are not then they're probably not confident enough with binomial expansion than they should be.

Perhaps. However I am certainly very confident with binomial expansion but would still multiply them out as i think its probably quicker. Even the first one only needs squaring twice.

Quick Reply

Latest