The Student Room Group

What should i pick?

I enjoy physics a lot at gcse and do want to do it at alevel but i hate maths, also i've considered going into engineering with this alevel but i've heard how unstable this career is.
My other option is biology which is ok for me but i hate ecology lol. I want to do med if i pick this alevel but now im very indecisive between these two or if i should take these two along with maths and chem. Please help!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by veryclueless
I enjoy physics a lot at gcse and do want to do it at alevel but i hate maths, also i've considered going into engineering with this alevel but i've heard how unstable this career is.
My other option is biology which is ok for me but i hate ecology lol. I want to do dentistry if i pick this alevel but now im very indecisive between these two or if i should take these two along with maths and chem. Please help!

If you dont like maths, why are you picking maths and chem?
My other option is biology which is ok for me but i hate ecology lol. I want to do dentistry if i pick this alevel but now im very indecisive between these two or if i should take these two along with maths and chem. Please help!

You can consider studying Natural Sciences but it could involve a fair bit of maths. Another option is sticking with dentistry and pushing through ecology.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
If you 'don't like' Maths then studying something like Engineering at degree level is going to be a struggle and you may need to rethink this.

It sounds like you are more interested in Bio/Chem and there are a hundred different degree subject/careers you could look at - here are some ideas to start with - this may help you work out where your real interests are and therefore, what would be the best A level subjects :

Biological and Biomedical Sciences - Study - University of Liverpool
Chemistry and chemical engineering | University of Southampton
Choosing between Pharmacy and Pharmacology (bath.ac.uk)
Zoology and Animal Science | University of Chester
Biotechnology (BSc) - Undergraduate, University of York
Reply 4
Original post by LKemmett
If you dont like maths, why are you picking maths and chem?

because my dad told me to lol. I guess its because it ensures a stable career for me like i could go anywhere with maths and chem!
Reply 5

Hi there,

My name is Hannah and I can help you with the process of studying abroad! I myself am a dental student studying in Slovakia. Good thing about studying in Slovakia is you don’t have to sit the ORE after graduating, so if you are planning to go back to the UK you can just start working 👏🏼

If anyone needs any help just message me

My Instagram is @hanNnahjcooper
My YouTube is linked in my Instagram

Have a nice day everyone
Reply 6

I think if you dislike maths, physics is very much a wasted subject. It is VERY maths based - the two simply cannot exist without each other. I also would not suggest doing maths if you do not enjoy it, it is quite a bit of work and you wont do well unless you enjoy it and want to put work into it. Please do not take subjects unless you enjoy them/understand them. Do not do them simply because you were told to, you will hate sixth form if you do.
Reply 7
As someone who last minute switched to do A-Lev Maths, Chem, Phy and Bio, if you don't like maths, don't do it. It is sure an important subject, but if you're not managing it's not a good option. For maths in physics, it relies on clever manipulation of equations and explaining with equations. Also, you learn AS and A2 applied maths in AS physics, whilst the applied maths in A2 physics is far beyond A-Lev maths. So, don't do physics or maths unless you don't have other choices.

Quick Reply

Latest