Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    These are my AS Maths module scores, C1-88, C2-95, S1-70.
    In order to get an A* in A-Level Maths, do you need to get 80% or above in every single unit, AS and A2? so do you think that I won't be able to get an A* because I got 70 in S1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkrillerFanatic)
    In order to get an A* in A-Level Maths, do you need to get 80% or above in every single unit, AS and A2? so do you think that I won't be able to get an A* because I got 70 in S1?
    No. You need 480/600 over all of your units, and 180/200 over C3/C4 to get an A*. It doesn't matter whether a unit falls below 80 provided you meet this.

ReputationRep:
    You need to get an average 80%+ in your 6 modules and an average 90%+ in C3, C4.
    Technically, you can still get an A* with 30 UMS from one applied module.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    No. You need 480/600 over all of your units, and 180/200 over C3/C4 to get an A*. It doesn't matter whether a unit falls below 80 provided you meet this.
    Thanks, I'm guessing this applies to Further Maths too?

ReputationRep:
    You need an average of 80 UMS across all 6 modules (C1-C4 and your 2 applied modules) for an A grade. To push that up to an A* you need an average of 90 UMS in C3 and C4 in addition to the requirements for an A grade. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by premedmath)
    You need to get an average 80%+ in your 6 modules and an average 90%+ in C3, C4.
    Technically, you can still get an A* with 30 UMS from one applied module.
    That's reassuring to hear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zach3)
    You need an average of 80 UMS across all 6 modules (C1-C4 and your 2 applied modules) for an A grade. To push that up to an A* you need an average of 90 UMS in C3 and C4 in addition to the requirements for an A grade. Hope that helps.
    80 UMS or 80%? I'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    For further maths, it's 480/600 overall, and 270/300 across your best three A2 units.

ReputationRep:
    Further Maths has slightly different rules. To obtain an A grade it's the same - you need an average of 80 UMS in your Further Maths modules (480/600 UMS). In addition, to push that up to an A*, you need an average of 90 UMS (270/300 UMS) in your three highest scoring A2 modules.

ReputationRep:
    80 UMS or 80%? I'm confused.
    80 UMS, not 80%. It would be really confusing if it was based on percentages. I think they mean 80% UMS, which is 80 UMS as in Maths it's always out of 100 UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zach3)
    80 UMS, not 80%. It would be really confusing if it was based on percentages. I think they mean 80% UMS, which is 80 UMS as in Maths it's always out of 100 UMS.
    So you need to score 80 UMS or above in every unit? I got 70 UMS in S1 so does this mean I can't get an A*?

ReputationRep:
    So you need to score 80 UMS or above in every unit? I got 70 UMS in S1 so does this mean I can't get an A*?
    No, you only need to average 80 UMS so you should be fine, don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Im currently doing maths at a level and I really want an A or A* at the end of this year, and my teacher, who has multiple issues with me anyways, is trying to force me to retake C2 or S1, cuz she thinks I can make up marks there, but I got 259 overall at the end of last year, and I'm really confused, cuz I swear I can still easily get an A with those As's. am I right in thinking I need 73ish % in my papers next year, and if I'm aiming for 90% in C3 and C4 for an A star anyways, should I resit???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaybeProbsNotTho)
    Hi, Im currently doing maths at a level and I really want an A or A* at the end of this year, and my teacher, who has multiple issues with me anyways, is trying to force me to retake C2 or S1, cuz she thinks I can make up marks there, but I got 259 overall at the end of last year, and I'm really confused, cuz I swear I can still easily get an A with those As's. am I right in thinking I need 73ish % in my papers next year, and if I'm aiming for 90% in C3 and C4 for an A star anyways, should I resit???
    Yup, 221/300 UMS across your A2 units for the A, on top of 180/200 across C3 and C4 for the A*. I suppose she's concerned about "low" (in her eyes) performance in C2, because to many A2 (C3/C4) is significantly harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Yup, 221/300 UMS across your A2 units for the A, on top of 180/200 across C3 and C4 for the A*. I suppose she's concerned about "low" (in her eyes) performance in C2, because to many A2 (C3/C4) is significantly harder.
    tbh shes a bit crazy, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being really silly and missing something. thanks yay to no resits this summer

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.