The Student Room Group

Is it too late to start A Level Physics?

It's 8 weeks into the school year, and I am thinking about dropping one of my subjects ( Being Maths, Business and Design &Technology), in order to take up Physics. I am most likely to drop DT as a subject, simply because I enjoy Maths and Business and I am likely to score very highly in them. Design and Technology is a new subject to me, having not taken it at IGCSE level. However, my DT teacher has told me that she feels I have shown great ability in the subject, and she does not expect me to score anything less than a A grade at A2. What do you guys think - should I stay with my current subject choices, or begin taking physics classes? If it helps, I got 90% in my IGCSE physics exam, which may be good, but the intense demands of taking Physics at A Level, especially this late, leaves me with uncertainty.
It may be important to note that I plan on studying an Engineering or Mathematics related course at University.

Thank you for your help.
Reply 1
I’d definitely say take up physics, it’s a linear course now so you have two years to catch up on just 8 weeks of missed stuff. The first 8 weeks is also some of the easiest part of the course and you sound like you have the aptitude to pick it up quickly! Physics is really interesting and very valuable if you want to go into engineering.
Reply 2
Original post by Brian.E
It's 8 weeks into the school year, and I am thinking about dropping one of my subjects ( Being Maths, Business and Design &Technology), in order to take up Physics. I am most likely to drop DT as a subject, simply because I enjoy Maths and Business and I am likely to score very highly in them. Design and Technology is a new subject to me, having not taken it at IGCSE level. However, my DT teacher has told me that she feels I have shown great ability in the subject, and she does not expect me to score anything less than a A grade at A2. What do you guys think - should I stay with my current subject choices, or begin taking physics classes? If it helps, I got 90% in my IGCSE physics exam, which may be good, but the intense demands of taking Physics at A Level, especially this late, leaves me with uncertainty.
It may be important to note that I plan on studying an Engineering or Mathematics related course at University.

Thank you for your help.

If it's something you really want to do go for it. You will be motivated to catch up if its a subject you are passionate about and it will help you in the future if you intend on applying for engineering. Talk to your teachers and see what they say, but it seems like you would more than cope with the demands of the course :thumbsup:
It's definitely not too late. A bit of catching up now is better than being 2 years down the line and not having the right A Levels to study engineering at university!!
If you're really interested in Physics the first part of the course isn't too intense :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Chloe.P_
If it's something you really want to do go for it. You will be motivated to catch up if its a subject you are passionate about and it will help you in the future if you intend on applying for engineering. Talk to your teachers and see what they say, but it seems like you would more than cope with the demands of the course :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot for your reply! I appreciate the advice.
Reply 5
I'm in a similar situation. I really want to drop History but I can't think of anything to change to lol.
Reply 6
Original post by plasmodesmateve
It's definitely not too late. A bit of catching up now is better than being 2 years down the line and not having the right A Levels to study engineering at university!!
If you're really interested in Physics the first part of the course isn't too intense :smile:

Thanks for your insight. You're a great help!
Reply 7
Hmmm if you are sure you’re passionate and committed enough

We’ve already covered the whole of particle physics (completely new from GCSE) and started quantum at our school so there will be some difficult concepts to learn which are really crucial...

...BUT, better late than never :smile:

If you do want to do engineering potentially, I’d definitely take it up now! Physics and the maths mechanics section will probably also have some overlap which can help if you consider maths to degree level
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by iow16
I’d definitely say take up physics, it’s a linear course now so you have two years to catch up on just 8 weeks of missed stuff. The first 8 weeks is also some of the easiest part of the course and you sound like you have the aptitude to pick it up quickly! Physics is really interesting and very valuable if you want to go into engineering.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it!
Reply 9
Original post by Pastelx
Hmmm if you are sure you’re passionate and committed enough

We’ve already covered the whole of particle physics (completely new from GCSE) and started quantum at our school so there will be some difficult concepts to learn which are really crucial...

...BUT, better late than never :smile:

First of all, thank you very much for your reply. I agree, I read up a bit on particle physics for the specification, including the classification of particles, stable and unstable nuclei, antiparticles, photons, quarks and antiquarks. If I may ask, how have you found quantum physics so far?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by elsisaac
I'm in a similar situation. I really want to drop History but I can't think of anything to change to lol.

Its a difficult one, isn't it.
Reply 11
Definitely a tough subject, but I did similar last year! Dropped a subject and took chemistry ... at Christmas :0 Worth the reward if it's for what you want to do and/or don't enjoy the subject currently. I love physics! Go for it, it can't hurt :tongue: Especially if you really want to do engineering, physics is a great subject to have :smile:
Original post by Brian.E
First of all, thank you very much for your reply. I agree, I read up a bit on particle physics for the specification, including the classification of particles, stable and unstable nuclei, antiparticles, photons, quarks and antiquarks. If I may ask, how have you found the topics so far? Would you expect someone in my position to struggle to cope with the workload?

All of particle physics is very much new to us, so people took a while to grasp it (I read a book that touched on it over the summer so I was a little more familiar with things!). I absolutely love particle physics but I think you’ll have to keep reviewing it for a few weeks until you have truly grasped it (that’s what we’ve spent the past 6 weeks on, after all). We had a new person join the class six weeks in and I think she was pretty out of her depth with all the new work, but she’s getting there.

I think if you are passionate and committed, and willing to let physics become the subject you spend the most time on, you’ll be fine with catching up. Honestly with particle physics you just really need to can used to the material–then it just sort of feels like equations in chemistry: you just know them

You sound prepared to take on the workload so I think you’ll be fine!
Reply 13
Original post by Pastelx
All of particle physics is very much new to us, so people took a while to grasp it (I read a book that touched on it over the summer so I was a little more familiar with things!). I absolutely love particle physics but I think you’ll have to keep reviewing it for a few weeks until you have truly grasped it (that’s what we’ve spent the past 6 weeks on, after all). We had a new person join the class six weeks in and I think she was pretty out of her depth with all the new work, but she’s getting there.

I think if you are passionate and committed, and willing to let physics become the subject you spend the most time on, you’ll be fine with catching up. Honestly with particle physics you just really need to can used to the material–then it just sort of feels like equations in chemistry: you just know them

You sound prepared to take on the workload so I think you’ll be fine!

This was very insightful, I can't thank you enough. I feel like I'm ready to take it on, it's an exciting prospect. You've been a great help. Good luck with your studies. Can't wait to start!
Original post by elsisaac

History is a subject that is a big leap from GCSE. If you are not enjoying the course or not excelling as well as you feel you could in other subjects, talk to other people studying different subjects to get a feel for alternatives. Of course, talk to your teachers as well and see what they suggest but it is far better to change your mind now than be miserable for the next two years.

In terms of changing the subject, think about what you want to do at university. Some courses have specific subject requirements, but most are pretty flexible so choose something you will enjoy and work hard in to get the best grades possible. It doesn't even have to be a humanities subject, just don't make a rash decision.

Quick Reply

Latest