The Student Room Group

Is it too late to start Maths A-Level in my gap year?

Hi all. Is it too late to start Maths A-Level, as I'm in a gap year and I'm looking to study Economics and Philosophy next year?

I will be studying a lot for it, obviously. Thanks!
Original post by gregregregreg
Hi all. Is it too late to start Maths A-Level, as I'm in a gap year and I'm looking to study Economics and Philosophy next year?

where are you applying to? and yea it’s not late at all just start going through the spec as soon as possible
Original post by chizzlebelizzle
where are you applying to? and yea it’s not late at all just start going through the spec as soon as possible

Bristol, Manchester, Warwick (EPP), Southampton are ones I'm considering, although I'm now realising only Bristol requires A-Level Maths in this list and that's for their BSc, whereas their BA doesn't actually require it lol. For context I got A*A*A in Economics, Business and Media this year. Thoughts on my options?
Bristol, Manchester, Warwick (EPP), Southampton are ones I'm considering, although I'm now realising only Bristol requires A-Level Maths in this list and that's for their BSc, whereas their BA doesn't actually require it lol. For context I got A*A*A in Economics, Business and Media this year. Thoughts on my options?

i think your options are deffs good , if only bristol needs maths a level it’s just a matter of whether you’re willing to do it just for bristol
you also have stellar grades as well , are all your options cool with you having both econ and business?

EPP at warwick is such a cool degree i have a friend doing it rn
Original post by chizzlebelizzle
i think your options are deffs good , if only bristol needs maths a level it’s just a matter of whether you’re willing to do it just for bristol
you also have stellar grades as well , are all your options cool with you having both econ and business?

EPP at warwick is such a cool degree i have a friend doing it rn

Yeah the subject combination is my biggest issue at the moment. It's frustrating that my teachers didn't warn me of this, and even then admissions teams definitely overblow the overlap - they have like one equation that overlaps with eachother lol, nothing else - maths and physics have a larger overlap.

But yeah I'm going to email them and ask. I probably won't do maths A-Level then.

Suspect you could comfortably get through it all in 4 or 5 months honestly. You should be fine with all this time left.
Yeah the subject combination is my biggest issue at the moment. It's frustrating that my teachers didn't warn me of this, and even then admissions teams definitely overblow the overlap - they have like one equation that overlaps with eachother lol, nothing else - maths and physics have a larger overlap.

But yeah I'm going to email them and ask. I probably won't do maths A-Level then.

yea email them and ask abt it to see whether it’s acc important for you to not have an overlap , if it is then i would suggest doing maths a level

Quick Reply

Latest