The Student Room Group

HELP! Year 12 failed as-level

I am a year 12 student who has recently finished his as-level exams. The subjects in question were Sociology, Maths, and Physics. I most likely got a low A/ high B in sociology, a low C/ High D in Maths, and a Low E/U in physics. It's my fault for not revising enough and generally coasting throughout the year. Now I ask what are my options, I REALLY do not want to repeat a year.
Reply 1
Original post by wertwertyui
I am a year 12 student who has recently finished his as-level exams. The subjects in question were Sociology, Maths, and Physics. I most likely got a low A/ high B in sociology, a low C/ High D in Maths, and a Low E/U in physics. It's my fault for not revising enough and generally coasting throughout the year. Now I ask what are my options, I REALLY do not want to repeat a year.

You might want to seriously consider retaking physics - my friends were in the same position and it didn't change their outcome (although, they put in some extra effort but by that time it was too late). Year 1 physics gives solid understanding for Year 2 topics. For maths, I'd say you can get to an A if you really put the work in to try and understand everything you learn. Its definitely possible.
Reply 2
I'm assuming that you might not be considering early entry, so if your school does exams or have some kind of measure before submitting final UCAS grades, you have time to raise it. Work over the summer holidays if possible on upping your grades and ask for a re-evaluation from some teachers and hopefully they'll be able to predict you higher once they see that you've improved.

Other options include switching to Core Maths, re-doing the year/ resitting, taking a gap year and ensuring that your actual A level grades are higher to apply for the next year or possibly a Foundation Year with universities that provide it for your course.

AS levels are good, but ultimately these days universities understand that it's not as important anymore as less and less people are doing them. If you focus on your A level exams in Year 13 and putting all the effort in, you won't necessarily have to resit the year
Reply 3
Original post by Nomawoj
I'm assuming that you might not be considering early entry, so if your school does exams or have some kind of measure before submitting final UCAS grades, you have time to raise it. Work over the summer holidays if possible on upping your grades and ask for a re-evaluation from some teachers and hopefully they'll be able to predict you higher once they see that you've improved.

Other options include switching to Core Maths, re-doing the year/ resitting, taking a gap year and ensuring that your actual A level grades are higher to apply for the next year or possibly a Foundation Year with universities that provide it for your course.

AS levels are good, but ultimately these days universities understand that it's not as important anymore as less and less people are doing them. If you focus on your A level exams in Year 13 and putting all the effort in, you won't necessarily have to resit the year

Thoughts on maybe dropping physics and doing an accelerated course?
Reply 4
Original post by azzot
You might want to seriously consider retaking physics - my friends were in the same position and it didn't change their outcome (although, they put in some extra effort but by that time it was too late). Year 1 physics gives solid understanding for Year 2 topics. For maths, I'd say you can get to an A if you really put the work in to try and understand everything you learn. Its definitely possible.

What grade did you get in year 12 and did they let you continue into year 13?
Reply 5
Thoughts on maybe dropping physics and doing an accelerated course?

I may be mistaken on this, but I believe accelerated courses are usually for people who are high-achievers and require certain grades? I'm not sure what your thought process is on that, but it's unlikely that you would be able to do an accelerated course (though take this with a grain of salt as I'm not very knowledgable on this).

As for dropping physics, according to the information you've provided, you'd only be left with 2 A Levels. This will depend on what you want to do in the future, such as apply to university, apprenticeships, other qualifications, etc. If you drop Physics, as you only have 2 A Levels left, your options will be more limited if you're thinking of applying to university. My advice might be to consider your options and work around that.

If you're considering university, I might recommend working hard to change your UCAS grades, and if not, your final A Level grades and apply the year after. There is also the option of resitting afterwards. Foundation Year might also be a good back-up to consider if you have extenuating circumstances, chose the wrong subject at A Level, etc. If it's possible, you might want to ask if you can change to another subject that you will perform better in, but this depends on whether you and teachers think you can cope with starting from scratch so late in the year and whether your school will allow, which is unlikely.
Reply 6

Heya!

First I would recommend talking to your teacher, seeing what they recommend you do :h: What are you planning on doing after alvls? Unis require 3 alvls, so if you drop physics it might limit your uni choices!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 7
What grade did you get in year 12 and did they let you continue into year 13?

I always fluctuated between A* and Cs. Usually I got an A or a high B though.

Quick Reply

Latest