The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

May be stupid, but how can one's blood group change?
Reply 2
I'm sorry but how is that possible?

If your mother is *genetically* AB you must be either AB, A or B - everything except O.
Reply 3
Im not 100% sure, but my dad doesnt know his blood type, so it could be possible it came from him.

My mother couldnt of lived past the age of 5 if she kept AB
I actually don't know my blood group. I suspect quite a lot of people don't...
Reply 5
The only way she could "change" her blood type as far as I'm aware is with a bone marrow transplant? But genetically if she is AB and you are O she cannot be your biological mother.

I'm A+ :smile:
Reply 6
MaryMoo
The only way she could "change" her blood type as far as I'm aware is with a bone marrow transplant? But genetically if she is AB and you are O she cannot be your biological mother.

Good way to get me thinking. O_O lol

Im sure she is, she looks exactly like me, and so does my sister..

but saying that ive never seen my birth certificate and they always say the camera had no film in when I was born...
Im AB+ :smile:
Reply 8
im o neg too :smile:
Reply 9
O pos... I would have a chat to your mum OP!
Reply 10
I'm sorry! I didn't mean to get you worried! It just confused me a little is all ..
Reply 11
Its really confused me too.

Ive just chatted with her

Ive got more knowledge than her on Genes and genetics but she aint listening to what I say but she insists Im her son

She has no medical records coz they burnt down in her hospital in a huge fire (what a magical life!)

But Ive just seen my birth certificate.

Im good!
Reply 12
MaryMoo
I'm sorry! I didn't mean to get you worried! It just confused me a little is all ..

read http://www.purchon.com/biology/abo.htm :smile:
Reply 13
Good :biggrin: I'm glad your mum *is* your mum :p:
Reply 14

If either parent has Group AB it will not be possible for any of the children to inherit Group O.
If both parents have group O, all their children must have Group O.
If both parents have Group A, it is still possible for some of their children to have Group O.
Reply 15
red_Rose
If either parent has Group AB it will not be possible for any of the children to inherit Group O.
If both parents have Group A, it is still possible for some of their children to have Group O.

ahh

thats confused me evn more now

I understood it all when going through it in class, but now... lol I dont know what to believe! lol
I don't know mine :frown: I've had enough blood tests but I've never thought to ask!
Reply 17
I'm O negative i believe. I know i have blood that can be given to everyone anyway.
Reply 18
If you are adopted, doesn't your birth certificate get changed to reflect your adoptive parents?
Reply 19
red_Rose

A and B are antigens found on the surfaces of red blood cells. If you have blood group AB it is because both antigens are present. If you have blood group O it is because neither antigen is present. The ability to form these antigens on the surfaces of red blood cells is inherited. People with Blood Group A only have antigen A on their red blood cells and people with Blood Group B only have antigen B.

so its possible to be o and have no o in your family :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending