The Student Room Group

Computer Science OCR

Hello people. Just started the new ocr CS course (A level) can someone who knows what they are doing and are feeling confident in the subject. Suggest a few revision techniques for a course that does not have many revision resources or past papers..
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Is this for gcse?

Taking it for a few years. I honestly don’t know if I enjoy it or not. It’s a lot of theory for unit 1 and unit 2 so keep on top of that (I didn’t and I’m going nowhere fast). The prt about unit 1 is that you just regurgitate the info. But unit 2 you have to understand it to be able to do good in the exam.

I don’t even know if you’ll get nea. Nea ruined my life.

There are these people called Craig and Dave Computer Science on YouTube. They follow the specification so it’s very informative.
Try to get your teacher to get the online book for you. It give all the information.

Even if they don’t have any 9-1 past papers. The past papers that are available will save your life.
MAKE YOUR OWN REVISION RESOURCES. Ask your teacher for help.
And enjoy a stress filled course it’s fun at times😀
Reply 2
A level sry
Hey, I'm A-Level CompSci. Currently Year 13, Predicted A*.
I would 100% say look at Craig 'n' Dave on Youtube, at this point they're practically my second teachers! Information is really good, following the specifications exactly to the letter.

I would also ensure you create your own revision guide, follow along the specification and make your own notes as you go, it will help you have things in your own words, and also highlights any areas you don't actually already know.
I'm do quite a lot with Programming outside of study, but I would recommend if you don't know a programming language to a decent level, learning something like Python, C++ etc. will help you with your Programming coursework significantly.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have :smile:
Hello! I take OCR Computer Science A-Level (in Year 13.) The subject is admittedly hard to revise as there is limited resources and next to no past papers.

I find THIS youtube channel useful as these two teachers create hundreds of revision videos covering all of the A-Level content (go and find the A-Level playlists section.) THIS book is also absolutely amazing for breaking down the specification however it is pretty pricey, but definitely a worthy investment if you like learning from textbooks, plus it contains practice style questions for each topic.

If you have any more specific questions I'll be happy to try and help! :yep:
I have this A-Level, did it last year. Honestly was horrible I won’t lie to you the exams hit you like a storm and there is hardly any practice material
Original post by CyberJake
Hey, I'm A-Level CompSci. Currently Year 13, Predicted A*.
I would 100% say look at Craig 'n' Dave on Youtube, at this point they're practically my second teachers! Information is really good, following the specifications exactly to the letter.

I would also ensure you create your own revision guide, follow along the specification and make your own notes as you go, it will help you have things in your own words, and also highlights any areas you don't actually already know.
I'm do quite a lot with Programming outside of study, but I would recommend if you don't know a programming language to a decent level, learning something like Python, C++ etc. will help you with your Programming coursework significantly.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have :smile:

Refreshing this thread to see we made a very similar response to this thread at the exact same time :laugh:
Hello there fellow Craig 'n' Dave follower, don't know what I'd do without them!
Original post by EmilySarah00
Hello! I take OCR Computer Science A-Level (in Year 13.) The subject is admittedly hard to revise as there is limited resources and next to no past papers.

I find THIS youtube channel useful as these two teachers create hundreds of revision videos covering all of the A-Level content (go and find the A-Level playlists section.) THIS book is also absolutely amazing for breaking down the specification however it is pretty pricey, but definitely a worthy investment if you like learning from textbooks, plus it contains practice style questions for each topic.

If you have any more specific questions I'll be happy to try and help! :yep:

As a person who took this A-Level I highly recommend the book linked. Learnt more from that than I did from my teacher

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending