The Student Room Group

S1 help pls

75% of the candidates passed the exam, the top 25% achieved a merit grade.
Three candidates are selected at random from those who took the examination.
(f) Find the possibility that all 3 of these candidates passed the examination but only two achieved a merit grade
I know it’s simple cuz it’s Q2222, but I always find possibility questions soooo difficult so can anyone help pls?? (And it couldn’t be better if you could offer some suggestions on how to deal with possibility questions cuz I always lose marks on these. Thx a lot!!
Original post by Sherryew
75% of the candidates passed the exam, the top 25% achieved a merit grade.
Three candidates are selected at random from those who took the examination.
(f) Find the possibility that all 3 of these candidates passed the examination but only two achieved a merit grade
I know it’s simple cuz it’s Q2222, but I always find possibility questions soooo difficult so can anyone help pls?? (And it couldn’t be better if you could offer some suggestions on how to deal with possibility questions cuz I always lose marks on these. Thx a lot!!

75% passed, top 25% received merit. So the probability of choosing a person with merit at random is 0.75x0.25. What’s the probability of choosing one that passed but didn’t receive merit??

You are looking for the event that choosing 3 candidates will get you two with merit and one without. Consider each pick individually, then multiply their probabilities together for the overall answer.

Furthermore, this is a type of scenario where you can draw a tree diagram for each pick.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
75% passed, top 25% received merit. So the probability of choosing a person with merit at random is 0.75x0.25. What’s the probability of choosing one that passed but didn’t receive merit??

You are looking for the event that choosing 3 candidates will get you two with merit and one without. Consider each pick individually, then multiply their probabilities together for the overall answer.

The answer is 0.5x0.25^2x3 and I don’t understand
(edited 6 years ago)
Based on the given answer, the question must mean that 25% of all candidiates (not 25% of the 75% who achieved a pass) are awarded a merit. Thus for the candidates as a whole, 25% do not pass, 50% pass without a merit and 25% pass with a merit. So, out of three picks, you need the probability that one will be a pass without merit (p = 0.5) and two will be passes with merit (p = 0.25). And the picks could happen in three different orders.

Quick Reply

Latest