The Student Room Group

Official Women’s Football Thread

Why do people think women shouldn’t play football because of their gender ? England Lionesses have totally out shone England due to their performances in international games and reached no.1 in the UEFA world rankings were the men stand 12th

Scroll to see replies

They haven't outshone the men's team though.

They play in different competitions with fewer teams in it for a start.
I dont think people say "no women should play football" I think the disagreements are more to do with the salary and broadcasting of female sports in general.

Whilst it is a touchy subjects, I do see why female footballers are paid less and why the matches are not streamed.

Football is a business and if something does not sell then I do not think a few feminists ranting about equality will change the minds of people wanting to increase profits. Rightly so.
Reply 4
Women can play football if they want.

Doesn’t mean that I’ll watch it.

Men’s game is to a much higher standard.
Reply 5
Original post by Wilfred Little
They haven't outshone the men's team though.

They play in different competitions with fewer teams in it for a start.

If you think they haven’t out shone the men’s team ... give me examples because the Lionesses are the most successful senior team since England won the 1966 World Cup
Reply 6
Original post by SGHD26716

Perhaps true, but only because the men have usually done it for longer and get better funding & coaching.

I don’t watch football, but I do watch and play rugby. Women’s rugby games are often MASSIVELY better than men’s in terms of technical standards; there’s a fair share of big hits, too.
Original post by Sophh21103
If you think they haven’t out shone the men’s team ... give me examples because the Lionesses are the most successful senior team since England won the 1966 World Cup

That line of thinking is flawed and assumes they are playing in equivalent competitions when they aren't (the women's Euros and World Cups have fewer teams in, so they aren't like for like).

If they play in the same competitions the men play in and get further than the men do, then they've outshone them.

Until then, no.
Reply 8
Original post by LRxS
Perhaps true, but only because the men have usually done it for longer and get better funding & coaching.

Not in terms of football.
Sexism. Although the quality of women’s football is improving rapidly, it is still a number of years behind hence women’s football is looked down on.
Reply 10
Not in terms of football.

Then in terms of what?
Reply 11

Tbh men’s isn’t a much higher standard they dive more but anyways that’s my point women should be allowed to at the same standard as men but no we get a load of stick for it I got called delusional only because I want to be a professional footballer and I’ve always have since I was 2 because I’m girl and the FA are just making it harder for us to grow and get back to how we were once were in 1921 until we were banned
Reply 12
Tbh men’s isn’t a much higher standard they dive more but anyways that’s my point women should be allowed to at the same standard as men but no we get a load of stick for it I got called delusional only because I want to be a professional footballer and I’ve always have since I was 2 because I’m girl and the FA are just making it harder for us to grow and get back to how we were once were in 1921 until we were banned

Original post by LRxS
Then in terms of what?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4389760/amp/USA-women-s-team-suffer-5-2-loss-FC-Dallas-U-15-boys.html
It depends on what you mean by in terms of what

Ohhh can I make this the official women's football thread. The England Ladies are brilliant I think. I am going to watch Ladies Football tomorrow.
Reply 15
It depends on what you mean by in terms of what

In terms of football as a sport. The poster started talking about women’s rugby.

The point made was that the standard could be equal if women’s football tecived estra funding and training.

To counter that, I bring up the point that an U15 team beat the women World Cup winners, who have probably have more funding and training than those U15s.
Reply 16
In terms of football as a sport. The poster started talking about women’s rugby.

The point made was that the standard could be equal if women’s football tecived estra funding and training.

To counter that, I bring up the point that an U15 team beat the women World Cup winners, who have probably have more funding and training than those U15s.

Exactly there’s more funding in male academy’s then their is in our proper league I would say
Reply 17
Much as I'm in favour of gender equality, it's such a crap game I can't get too enthusiastic about this. Same, maybe a bit worse, with boxing. Just because men are encouraged to give each other brain damage, I don't think it should be extended to women.
Reply 18
Original post by Rock Fan
Ohhh can I make this the official women's football thread. The England Ladies are brilliant I think. I am going to watch Ladies Football tomorrow.

What game ??? And the Lionesses are amazing and throughly deserve to be the no.1 ranked team in the world
Reply 19
Exactly there’s more funding in male academy’s then their is in our proper league I would say

You would say? Please support using evidence

Regardless of funding anyway, the world’s best female team shouldn’t be losing to kids in high school if the standard was the same.

Quick Reply

Latest