The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths: Venn Diagram Question

"A group of 80 people were asked if they liked different fruits. 38 said they liked apples, 42 liked bananas, and 20 liked cherries. 6 liked all 3 fruits. 20 liked apples and bananas. 10 people liked cherries and bananas. 6 people liked cherries and apples. Draw a Venn diagram showing this information."

Here's my Venn Diagram:
20171216_204608-1.jpg

When I add the numbers up I get 70, but the question states it should be 80. Where have I gone wrong?
the last 10 will be outside the diagram, as they do not like any of the fruits
Original post by Adidas02
"A group of 80 people were asked if they liked different fruits. 38 said they liked apples, 42 liked bananas, and 20 liked cherries. 6 liked all 3 fruits. 20 liked apples and bananas. 10 people liked cherries and bananas. 6 people liked cherries and apples. Draw a Venn diagram showing this information."

Here's my Venn Diagram:
20171216_204608-1.jpg

When I add the numbers up I get 70, but the question states it should be 80. Where have I gone wrong?

you should put your circles in a rectangle. the other 10 people are outside the circles but inside the rectangle.
Original post by the bear
you should put your circles in a rectangle. the other 10 people are outside the circles but inside the rectangle.

Can't believe I didn't think about that. Thanks a lot :smile:
Can't believe I didn't think about that. Thanks a lot :smile:

@CheMisery got there first :yep:

Here's my Venn Diagram:
20171216_204608-1.jpg

Draw the Venn diagram in the rectangle then the last 10 will be outside the diagram in the box area.Add the numbers you get 80!
:h::h:
Original post by CheMisery
the last 10 will be outside the diagram, as they do not like any of the fruits

Original post by donut_mckenzie28
Draw the Venn diagram in the rectangle then the last 10 will be outside the diagram in the box area.Add the numbers you get 80!
:h::h:

Thank you :smile:
no probs

Quick Reply

Latest