The Student Room Group

Should I apply for post grad med?

Hiya I'm a second-year pharmacology student at Newcastle, I'm on track for a high 2:1 or 1st degree (currently averaging 74%) and want to apply for postgrad med. I achieved A*AC in psychology, biology, chemistry A Level (in that order) and an A* in my EPQ on multiple Sclerosis. I also go 9 A's and 3 A*s in gcse.
Non academically I joined the hockey society (not good enough for the team lol) and im the social sec, hopefully president of bioscience society. I also volunteer for teddy bear society for the past 3 months and i volunteer in a care home once a week for the past 4 months. Hoping to get some shadowing in summer too.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on where I should apply and what entrance exams are the easiest/hardest. Did the UKCAT once and completely flunked it but im much more motivated this time and have started revising for it now!
Any help is deeply appreciated!
Original post by Volibear
Graduate entry medicine is not a postgraduate course.

There's no reason why you shouldn't. The TSR Wiki will have plenty of information as will other sources like the Medic Portal. There are only ~13 medical schools with a GEM course so just have a look through them and see what you like and to which you meet the entry requirements :smile: Where you apply determines the entrance exam(s) you'll sit.

Also, why are you revising for the UKCAT now? The test isn't for months and there's a limited number of revision resources.

Because last time I did so bad (low 600) I want to practise loads so I can try to get in the 700s and also do you think it will be worth me applying to cambridge? It says they dont have specific entry requirements for A Level but most people have an A in chemistry which I do not :/
Yh i love neurology!! Aim is a neuroconsultant
Original post by Volibear
I don't know what you did last time but I don't think anyone would recommend that you start revising this early, even the people who scored highly. Most people don't spend more than a month, maybe two months, revising for it. Anyway, you have the advantage that you've sat it before.

Well you got a C in chemistry and in all honesty I don't think they'll look too favourably on that. The key thing is that once you've figured out places you'd like to study, you need to apply strategically.

Thanks for the honesty, I just hope it doesn't ruin my chances. ATM im looking at applying to newcastle, warwick, kings and nottingham.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending