The Student Room Group

Please help me out im stressing real bad

so I want to do medicine
I'm currently a private candidate
I retook year 12 at a public school but when all the good teachers left recently all the dead ones remained to teach so I resorted to becoming a private candidate (don't worry I have all the necessary teachers and everything to make sure I have equal advantage and everything)

I want to know because I'm retaking year 12 does that count as a resit

(I've never taken external exams for year 12)

and haven't finished year 13 obviously

so technically my first formal exam is in summer 2024.

so am I resitting or is this a first time around because if I am resitting don't have many universities to apply to

thanks

sorry if this post is a mumble jumble
Original post by Bigfishytime
so I want to do medicine
I retook year 12 at a public school but when all the good teachers left recently all the dead ones remained to teach so I resorted to becoming a private candidate (don't worry I have all the necessary teachers and everything to make sure I have equal advantage and everything)

so am I resitting or is this a first time around because if I am resitting don't have many universities to apply to

thanks

It's not a resit because, as you say, you've not sat any exams which you are resitting. However, some unis will want to know why studied your A levels over 3 years rather than the normal 2 years. So an explanation should appear in your academic reference (or possibly your personal statement).

I don't know if this is information that specific medical schools look at - I'm talking generally.
Reply 2
so I want to do medicine

thanks

Most medical schools consider those who take longer than 2 years to do their A levels under their resit policy, so repeating Yr 12 is looked at the same way as repeating Yr 13. But there are still lots of med schools that accept this, though some do need a higher grade, given that an applicant will have had an extra year of studying
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
It's not a resit because, as you say, you've not sat any exams which you are resitting. However, some unis will want to know why studied your A levels over 3 years rather than the normal 2 years. So an explanation should appear in your academic reference (or possibly your personal statement).

I don't know if this is information that specific medical schools look at - I'm talking generally.

ok thanks, whats your opinion on doing biomedical sciences for 3 years then applying for graduate level medicine after 3 years
Reply 4
Original post by GANFYD
Most medical schools consider those who take longer than 2 years to do their A levels under their resit policy, so repeating Yr 12 is looked at the same way as repeating Yr 13. But there are still lots of med schools that accept this, though some do need a higher grade, given that an applicant will have had an extra year of studying

ok thanks, whats your opinion on doing biomedical sciences for 3 years then applying for graduate level medicine after 3 years.
ok thanks, whats your opinion on doing biomedical sciences for 3 years then applying for graduate level medicine after 3 years

Not my area of expertise, I'm afraid.

I refer to you the illustrious @GANFYD, who has said above that, with regards to repeating year 12, "there are still lots of med schools that accept this, though some do need a higher grade, given that an applicant will have had an extra year of studying". As a result, I would have expected your alternative approach to be unnecessary. (And graduate-entry med is more competitive that undergraduate-entry, as I understand it.)
Reply 6
ok thanks, whats your opinion on doing biomedical sciences for 3 years then applying for graduate level medicine after 3 years.

Never do an alternative degree with the sole intention of applying for grad entry medicine, as it will take longer, cost more, is more competitive and needs higher stats. If you can get the sort of UCAT result needed to apply as a grad, you will have lots of options for standard entry, even having taken 3 years to do A levels.
Reply 7
Original post by GANFYD
Never do an alternative degree with the sole intention of applying for grad entry medicine, as it will take longer, cost more, is more competitive and needs higher stats. If you can get the sort of UCAT result needed to apply as a grad, you will have lots of options for standard entry, even having taken 3 years to do A levels.

hmm ok thanks for the insight

what if i do biomedical for one year and use the transfer scheme because some universities offer that? (im just thinking alternatives if i dont get medicine when appling)
Reply 8
hmm ok thanks for the insight

what if i do biomedical for one year and use the transfer scheme because some universities offer that? (im just thinking alternatives if i dont get medicine when appling)

That is probably the toughest route of all, as you are limiting yourself to 1 uni and competing against all the others planning to do the same thing.
Apply to standard entry, and if you don't get a place and still want to study medicine, have a gap year and reapply. Any alternative degree should be started with the understanding that it may not be possible to change things, so should lead to a long term career you are happy with
Reply 9
Original post by GANFYD
That is probably the toughest route of all, as you are limiting yourself to 1 uni and competing against all the others planning to do the same thing.
Apply to standard entry, and if you don't get a place and still want to study medicine, have a gap year and reapply. Any alternative degree should be started with the understanding that it may not be possible to change things, so should lead to a long term career you are happy with

ok thankyou very much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending