The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE vs Cambridge

I got conditional offers from both LSE and Cambridge but am confused where to go. Anyone with suggestions for me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
koby
I got conditional offers from both LSE and Cambridge but am confused where to go. Anyone with suggestions for me?

if you cant decide on unis then decide on locations.
london or cambridge????
then if should be obvious
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
koby

can't really suggest if we don't even know which subject you want to read.
Reply 3
Reply 4
I applied for economics.
koby

Both unis are held in high esteem throughout the World, both have pluses and cons, so it comes down to which is better for your course, and the environment which you would prefer. Cambridge will be more competitive academically than LSE, and more intense due to the much shorter trimesters.

I believe LSE is more renowned for its economics course than Cambridge, and LSE has a more international focus also.
Reply 6
the offer is for a place to study economics
Reply 7
which uni is likely to make me more employable?
They are both great! Both are top class, and are very reputable, think about the actual place you are living and the kind of social life you will have.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/hybrid.asp?typeCode=155

That might help your decision, or make it more complicated!
Reply 9
i visited both unis and i think i will like the social life in both unis. i cant differentiate them on the basis of location or social life.
Reply 10
koby
which uni is likely to make me more employable?

Oh, for Christ's sake.

In India? Cambridge. In the U.K.? The difference is likely to be immaterial.

(Though detailing which course you've actually received this offer for might be deemed a step in the right direction.)
Reply 11
You will be supremely employable if you graduate from either with a 2.1 or 1st. Personally I think you'd have more fun at Cambridge, though, as LSE isn't exactly renowned for its social scene.
I think Cambridge might have a tiny bit of extra prestige, for example if you got a bad degree, people would say 'Cambridge graduate'. But clearly,a first from LSE is stronger than a 2:1 from here. Other factors to consider are finding affordable accommodation close by( can be hard in London) and the college system in Cambridge, which can be harder to handle so I'm told.
Reply 13
Either one - they're both fantastic and will give you good career opportunities. You can only make a final decision based on visiting both universities and deciding which suits you as a person best. But I can imagine that's difficult if you're an international student. Think about living costs too - London is expensive, but if you have your heart set on living in London then LSE is the obvious choice.
Reply 14
Profesh
Oh, for Christ's sake.

In India? Cambridge. In the U.K.? The difference is likely to be immaterial.

(Though detailing which course you've actually received this offer for might be deemed a step in the right direction.)

Totally agree. Someone mentioned them in previous posts to have "similar international recognition". Actually in Hong Kong i'd only heard of Oxford and Cambridge in the UK until I joined this forum... The only universities i'd known were Hong Kong University, MIT (in the USA), Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Berkely, UT (canada), UBC and oxbridge.

Oh and by the way Cambridge is ranked 2nd in the world, and LSE 59th. Even HKU is better: ranked 18th.
Reply 15
Ash06
Either one - they're both fantastic and will give you good career opportunities. You can only make a final decision based on visiting both universities and deciding which suits you as a person best. But I can imagine that's difficult if you're an international student. Think about living costs too - London is expensive, but if you have your heart set on living in London then LSE is the obvious choice.

Well Cambridge is just as expensive lol :biggrin:
koby

I am in the same situation as you and I chose Cambridge. :smile:
The teaching system and the general feeling of the college were the deciding factors in the end.

Which college do you have an offer from by the way?
Cool.Zero

Oh and by the way Cambridge is ranked 2nd in the world, and LSE 59th. Even HKU is better: ranked 18th.

That ranking means nothing! LSE only offers Social sciences thats why it is so low, and if you ask anyone, they would prefer a graduate from LSE then HKUST! Please be more sensible when reading and analyzing what league tables mean.
Reply 18
chorpus christi
Cool.Zero

Not for Economics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending